www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I figured I'd move this discussion to this Category since there is a lot of good info and individual efforts going on!!!

Creation of a GPSr File for the course directory

Hello,

I wanted to let you all know of an effort that I am undertaking to get the course directory into a customizable format for the Garmin’s NUVI, Tom Tom, or other Sat Nav units. I travel almost 100% for my job and I am use my Garmin 680 all the time..and I have built my own file over the past year or so and I wanted to make this available to the community and for everyone to use..So I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you own a Sat Nav? What brand and Model do you have? And do you think this file is of use?

2. This file would be free to anyone who wants it..the only charge for it would be to the retailers who want to be included in the file. So say if you were from out of town and needed to find the nearest store..all you would have to do was to look in the Disc Golf file. I am not sure of how much to charge yet…Clubs, courses and other not for profits would be totally free to be included.

3. I can include pictures, emails and web sites in the file so these can have as much info or as little as the Course Pro wants? Same with the Club info..I usually put the club into a neutral area around a course or center of a city such as The Mile High Disc Golf Club is located with the coordinates of the Denver Capital…The Phone numbers (if the unit is Bluetooth enabled) can auto dial the phone number in the file!

4. Would you be willing to help in getting some of the info and QA of the files for your areas?

A file already exists for free and for download but the only info it contains is the Location of the course and the Name of the course…I am working on a few test files and exactly what info I would need or want to be included besides the basic info such as Name, Lat/Long, Pro Name, Pro Phone, Email, web Site, description, and photo of the course..

1. The File has been created an resides on the POI factory Web site and is free for anyone to upload (this just contains the course info with no contact info)
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/7132

2. Discussion Thread for other files such as Google Earth .kml file
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/4722

I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Scott

Tags: Course, Directory, GPS, Nav, Sat

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard that some of the locations on the existing free file are inaccurate. I've also gotten bad directions from the PDGA's online locations. I am, however, confident that the locations for courses on the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization's website are accurate. You might want to do some checking on the accuracy of the data you have before you publish.

In any event, good luck with your project.
Lewis,
I am curious since the free file has only been out since Nov what you have been hearing..No one has given any feedback to the site of inaccuracy..The directions are of non consequence in the PDGA site since SAT NAVS work off of the Lat/Long coordinates and will formulate directions according to your location in comparison to the course? The Long and Lats are published by the PDGA and not me...I am just using them to buld this file...and from what I remember on these ccordinates people are submitting them who are the Pros of the courses? Or in some of the cases I will use Google Earth to look up the Park/club/retailer or the course itself..Can you be alittle more specific as to what courses are inaccurate??

Thanks
Great idea. I love my Garmin 60csx!
I am not familar with this model is this a hand held GPS? And can it accept a *.GPX file or a *.CSV?
Yes, it's a hand held unit. The screen is large enough to use for road map navigation as well. GPX files are acceptable. It is a GREAT unit for the money.
I have created a file of all of the US Disc Golf Courses that I could complie and I came up with 1,868. The only difference is that my file looks a little different with the name of the course. Mine had the City/State added.

-150.056,61.1535, "DGC - Kincaid Park Disc Golf Course"
-150.056,61.1535, "Kincaid Park Disc Golf Course, Anchorage, AK"
Attachments:
Jim are you from the POI Factory? What is a ov2 file?? Thanks for the file and effort..and where did you compile your list and coordinates from??
No I don't work for them. That is a file for TomTom systems. I had found a site that uses Google Earth (http://discgolffusion.com/GoogleEarth/index.htm) that plots all of coordinates for each State. It allowed me to download a .kml Google Earth file and I happened to open it up and find their web link that pointed to each States .kml file stored on the users server:

Example:
http://discgolffusion.com/GoogleEarth/courses/TN/TN.kml

Inside that file link above contains data in a XML like tagged format for each course that contains the coordinates, name of course, city and state. I was able save each one of these states .kml files out to a file and use my UNIX programming abilities and create a XML parser script to extract the data that I needed to create a .CSV file for uploading to that www.poifriend.com site which handled the rest. You can find more of my creations at www.poifriend.com and seach for "disc" or "disc golf and you'll see my username of "ambroze".
I also have a Garmin 60csx, great gps (handheld)
3-10-08: Just an update and you should have received an email from me on the intital efforts to get some of the info into this file..I am still looking for a volunteers to take part in this effort. I don't want allot of your time just some research and copy and paste into a word document for the course...As a local you know the area around the courses the best..So please email/pm me if you would like to participate...

Scott
Ok here is what I got and have tested. I went out and bought MS Streets & Trips with GPS Locator. It had the drive that goes past the first tee at my home course. I got a hair across my butt sideways and then stood at the front of the Tee location and got a reading then went to the basket and got a reading standing next to the basket. I drew a line between the two points and it gave me the distance between them.

If this works out I could have the entire course layout on a Streets & Trips Map. I do this with the other courses I play and I will have the most accurate course distances I can muster without having it professionally surveyed. I even thought of using it during play to get the distance from the lie to the basket. Problem is lugging a laptop around a DG course.

I just need to remember to not leave the GPS Trail as I walk from the tee to the basket. Deleting all those middle points is pointless if they don't need to be there to begin with.
If you have the lat/lon of the tees and baskets you can enter those as points in a Google Earth .kml file. Then you can use the Google Earth Tour feature to do a virtual fly-through of your course.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968