www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So when I am doing an approach shot should I from 25-100ft should I be letting the disc "rip" out of my hand? Should I x-step an approach shot? What grip do you use for approach shots? Thanks

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

an approach from there is just a stand still with a putter. and no it shouldnt rip out of your hand
Discraft "putting" video

Follow that link. The video discusses how to deal with the exact type of shot you're talking about. Calling it a putting video is a bit of a misnomer, as 100 feet is really an approach to all disc golfers who don't have the last name Feldberg. : )

You shouldn't really expect it to go in from outside 30 feet or so (but it does happen sometimes), so you want to be able to set yourself up for a drop in if possible.
For my longer approaches 100'+ I stand with feet closer together then step towards the basket, with a finesse type grip, like a beach frisbee. most times i use a drop shot, so my disc flops down near the basket for an easy par. At this range I dont "go for it" as much as when I first started playing about 6 months ago. Practice the drop shot/putt, works well for me in most cases, and park that plastic for par. Id rather do that and take than over shoot the basket by 30+ feet and takey bogey, or even worse miss the 2nd putt and take a double.
as told to me "Great drives make birdies, but a good upshot wins games"

Im using the Aviar P&A 173g - 175g
I wouldent grip and rip, use a pivot shot with little arm speed and a bit on snap, fallow through with you apposing leg and bring your hips through. I've also started to jump mid, same as a jump put but for farther shots. When in doubt. Practice alot of different shots and find ot whats best for you..
x-step from 100 or less

if you are are like 25 feet...might as well just putt it
A good tip here is to also never take your eyes off the basket when turning to throw (close up shot). Many beginners look at the disc as it goes back decreasing their accuracy. Also hold your disc above your elbow unless your throwing a hyzer up shot. You'll find your disc travels frequently where your eyes are looking. Good Luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968