www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi all I'm new to the site and looking for some help/advice. I moved last year from sunny Florida to the UK, an Island called Alderney in the British Channel islands. One complaint of locals and younge people is there's nothing to do here. I'd love to set up a disc golf course and some others are interested. The only problem is I have no Idea how to set up a course, I've only been playing for a couple of years and quite casually, my dad used to take me on weekends. Any advice/tips would be appreciated
thanks
Piper

Tags: course, kingdom, new, united

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

first things first. a good combo of open (field) holes and also wooded fairways to mix things up a bit. when desiging a course always start the 1st hole very visible from the parking area and end right back where you started. the biggest problem i see on most courses is when your putting on a hole. the next tee is very close and not shielded so movement and sound from other players can become distracting. if you have any layout or basket setting questions feel free to message me..
My best advice would be to get a "pro" to help design the course...if time/budget will allow for it. I'm a glorified recreational player who plays a LOT of disc golf, but was asked to spear-head a local effort to get a course built here in our small town. I had a lot of solid ideas, but it took a course design pro to make some decent ideas better. I completely agree with the comment about making sure you've got plenty of room between tees and baskets too! The room I thought we would need between these elements and the room we ACTUALLY needed were surprisingly different. The closest we get on our course is about 50-55 feet on one hole. A bit too close for comfort, but it just couldn't be avoided. Most holes we have at LEAST 100-125+ feet between baskets and tees...with trees, hills or ??? helping to shield tees from baskets wherever possible.

The other thing to keep in mind is that installing a course is just the tip of the iceberg. Maintaining and "tweaking" it with constant improvements and "lessons learned" is where the REAL work begins. Best of luck in your efforts!
All good advice, so far. I'll add to it that once you have a piece of property selected, you need to walk it, walk it, walk it. Stand behind every tree, stand in every spot and look in all directions. Getting a roll of bright orange plastic tape would be good, so that you can tie a piece on a bush or tree and then spot where it was you were standing then, once you are somewhere else.

I'm involved in my fifth course design right now, and there is so much that you learn doing this, that Derek is absolutely right. Get someone with design experience, or at least someone who has seen a couple hundred courses and who knows a bunch of different throws, to at least walk it with you and give suggestions. Here is where the largest collection of disc golf course designers is.

A good aerial photograph, taken when the leaves are off most of the trees would be very helpful, too, to note where features such as elevation changes or cool trees are.
Hey Terry, is that an invite only group or is it open to anyone?
terry mentioned it so yeah. a friend of mine started with an image of his land from google earth and started drawing it out there.
Then he went and mowed the area out and marked the tee box and basket placement for a few holes.

then we would go out and walk it and play using our temp baskets, which helps tremendously.

by being able to walk the holes and play them we have been able to discuss and visualize how it would be played better before we are final on placements.

having a tractor helps but I hope you dont have to clear too much land because it's a huge chore that takes a lot of work.

good luck with it and have fun !
The British Isles ..... very cool ........ If i was u you need to get the ok from the authority .... that means convincing an alderman or 2 of the merits of having a course ......... do that with youtube footage ...... one of the best is the by the 'guardians of recreation" it shows what it's about and the beauty of the game.... you need to get them excited about it and wanting a course and the rest is easy ....... no money for baskets get the town to make u some tonals .......... try and get 18 beauty holes and you'll be and instant success .... good luck from the island on the other side of the world vancouver island in canada
Piper don't know if this would help but there might be some good tips on the hows and why's of course development on these pages. The Innova page is link for a 2.4 meg download on course development. FYI

http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/index.html#course

http://www.pdga.com/cd_start.php
have checked out these links thanks :)
Yeah it's tricky around here trying to get anything new, I think we'll only manage an 8 hole course (that's what the ball golfers have) but anything would be great
The terrain here is fairly hilly (compared to Fl) but the island is really tiny so not sure about a 18 hole course probably have to have a 9 hole if anything
Unless the ball golf course is very crowded all the time, I would think that placing the disc golf course on the ball golf course would be something to consider. You would already have your routing of holes done. Just place baskets out of the way somewhere short of the greens. On the longer holes, special disc golf tees would be needed and on shorter holes the ball golf tees could be used.
Getting approval is the hardest part, unless you'rein Des Moines, IA. (-:

Here's a few rough notes from the course I helped with. It was an awesome team effort of strong contributors - all passionate about the sport, and even a few curious people who developed a passion for the sport. (-;

Getting a rough layout prior to approaching the city or whoever is in charge of the land woudl be a good idea. Gathering promises to fund raising woudl be a good idea, or be ready to know how much it shuld cost the city/park dept to put it in... If they don't think they have the $$ for it, feel free to pitch in on fundraising. Getting local businesses to "sponsor a hole", with $200 per hole, you'll come up w/ $ in no time. Use the Local chamber of commerce (if there is one there) to get a list of businesses who might be interested in helping. These businesses should receive advertising space on your tee signs.

the crew i was working on raised $4500 in 2 weeks, and then the city council approval was SIMPLE!

Here's how the process worked:

Talk to the park director, gain interest
Begin rough layout - have a google satellite layout kind of drawn out
Ask park director about the interest, $, cost, offer assistance in fund raising
Determine amounts needed for sponsorship of holes
Look up the local Chamber of Commerce, begin making phone calls, they'll line up for a $200 advertising write off.
Let Park Director know how you're doing
Meet w/ Park Board, make proposal, receive approval
Meet w/ City Council if necessary, receive approval
Go on wit ur bad self, and put in the course!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968