www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi all I'm new to the site and looking for some help/advice. I moved last year from sunny Florida to the UK, an Island called Alderney in the British Channel islands. One complaint of locals and younge people is there's nothing to do here. I'd love to set up a disc golf course and some others are interested. The only problem is I have no Idea how to set up a course, I've only been playing for a couple of years and quite casually, my dad used to take me on weekends. Any advice/tips would be appreciated
thanks
Piper

Tags: course, kingdom, new, united

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Were I in your shoes, I would have two guiding principles. One: great courses build great players. Two: practice is the key to skill development.

Your design options are dependent on what you have to work with. So you cannot make a great course inside a broom closet or anywhere without adequate space. But within the limitations imposed upon you, back to the first principle that great courses build great players. The longer, tougher, tighter and more varied the course, the better a player must be to master it. It is human nature that if we don't have to do something that is difficult to do, we probably won't. So if a course never requires power, the local players won't develop as much power. A great course requires every shot in the bag. Try to build that into your design.

The second principle is not as obvious as it impacts course design. Practice is the key to skill development. How can course design impact practice? Well nothing can force players to practice but you can encourage it designing in a practice basket and practice field.

Were I to make a home course, I would start with the practice area. Ideally a practice area has a large flat field for throwing drives and a practice basket (or two) at one end. Without an area to throw drives that are easy to find players won't throw many practice drives. I would make the practice area closest to the parking lot to further encourage its use.

If you have the option to eventually install cement tee pads, they are the best option. But do not install them for at least the first year so you can see how the course plays and retain the flexibility to tweak the design as needed.

Good Luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968