www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi All,

Just wondering what your most disappointing moment in Disc Golf has been so far? We've all seen the bloopers reels, where one of the pros takes five shots to get to a basket perched on a hill, and the disc keeps rolling back down the hill and stopping in a water hazard.... whats your "hard luck" story?

It might be watching your favourite disc sink to the bottom in the middle of a lake, it might be hitting the chains on your drive, only to see the disc cut through and drop out the other side, who knows. Looking forward to some tragic (and potentially funny) stories!

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This past December at the Charleston Classic my 2nd round started on hole 16. For anyone who has not played Hampton Park it is about 250' I guess from tee to basket across water and onto an island green. One of my buddies in my group took an 11 or 12 to start the round on the hole. I think he ended up like 4 or 5 down the next 17 holes though which was a positive.
1996 AM worlds...

Leading the tournament from round two until the last 3 holes of the tournament, Buddy Steen birdied the last three holes to beat me by two. That choke hurt a bit!
I't's actually two moments on the same disc golf trip. A group of friends all head up to Colorado in late August or early September to hang out and play disc golf in the mountains. We've been doing it now for almost ten years and it's still pretty cool. Two years ago, while on the Vail course at Beaver Creek, we bought a lunch voucher with our lift tickets and got a ten dollar break, so we were on hole four and it started raining pretty good. We were right by the lodge and decided to go ahead and eat lunch. I was carding the round and out of courtesy if your inside of five feet it's a pickup, well when it started raining, we hurried and putted out only nobody picked up my leaner (my putter was under the basket) and it got left behind. After we ate and resumed our round, I noticed on hole five I had no putter. I went back up and looked for it but it was gone, and we asked a couple groups that played through as well, but it was gone.
Two days later in Frisco at the resevoir course on hole eighteen, same thing. I was carding the round again and there was a group right behind us so as I was getting the scores we moved away from the basket. That was the last round that day and I didn't notice I had lost my backup putter until the next morning as we were setting off for another round.
OUCH! Both putters were Omega Supersoft 1.2's
They've been replaced but the memories still linger and I still give my buddies crap about it. But like the Old Man says, "who's putters were they?" and I know the answer.
Small-potatoes, but here is my story. We opened our 12-hole course here in Springfield (MN) about 18 months ago. One of the better players in our area came over one afternoon and absolutely worked it over during his second round (-6). We subsequently moved a few tees and added 200+ feet of distance after that...to keep the "pro" scores down around -3 or -4.

I'm a glorified rec player....I play a LOT of disc golf, but Ken Climo I am not! :) I was playing a round on our course last summer where it finally all "clicked" though....and was sitting at -5 after ten holes (including the harder tee positions and added length). #11 is mean to lefties, but is short. #12 is the easiest hole on the course (I aced that 165 ft. hole a couple weeks earlier). I'm thinking to myself "just don't choke on 11 and you've got an excellent chance at tying the course record..."

What did I do?! I CHOKED my tee shot on 11 and ended up taking a bogey 4. Now at -4. I'm thinking "-5 would still be my personal best on this course, so let's giddy-up and tear #12 a new one." What did I do? I gunned it too hard left of the basket and wound up 35 feet behind the basket. Missed my deuce putt, for a par 3.

-4 is a good round on that course (especially for me!), but to be sitting at -5 after #10 with two holes where I should have shot par/deuce absolutely killed me inside. Not so much the mistakes (since mistakes happen), but the fact that I obviously lacked the mental toughness to get things done and finish-off that round.
Derek have you read Cubby's link to some sports psychologist's article? I think it was originally published for that other golf but what it basically says is don't tell yourself things like "Ok self, don't throw it in that water" because what your mind hears is "throw it in the water" because on a very basic level it does not comprehend the negative your inner voice has put in there. What you should be doing instead of saying not to do this or that is tell yourself what you SHOULD do, ie- park it under the basket. Easier said than done though, huh?
Thanks Bill!

This is gonna sound really funny/stupid, but the habit I've gotten into (since the end of last summer) almost as a pre-shot ritual is to stare a hole right through the middle of the basket (or down the fairway to where I want to throw to on a long drive) and think to myself: "Your a## is mine." Literally, LOL. If we're out on the course together and you're watching me stare-down a basket, those are the EXACT words that are probably going through my head! :-) Even if it's a hard hole/shot, even if there is 20+ MPH wind gusts hitting me in the face, etc., the mental act of telling myself that I'm going to make a good shot and take that hole behind the woodshed helps me tune-out any of the external distractions and simply focus on doing what my mind/body knows how to do. When I'm REALLY on my game, my hearing kind of tunes-out when I'm getting ready to take my shot and my vision really only sees the basket. Whether I make the shot is another story, but the act of focusing and telling myself I WILL make a good shot has definitely helped me make a higher percentage of the tougher shots over time.
nothin too heart breaking here.

1. Lost all of my drivers (4) in two days of winter disc at Kaposia Park in So. St. Paul, MN. I lost one and was frsutrated. I had a really bad migraine (get them often due to multiple concussions) so my mind wasn't all there the next day. I thought then that I should quit before I lost anymore. I continued to play, lost my favorite driver and really thought about quitting. I decided to try to work through the migraine and continue to play. Then on hole 17 I lost my last driver. That was a really crappy day. At least it ain't tournament season so I can work out some new plastic.

2. This was funny. I played an ice bowl this winter where you were only playing against your foursome. By 15, the game was sealed away (thanks to me blowing the lead against the guys by taking an 8 on a par 3). We played hole 15 with minis, and my drive went backwards. Haha. On 16, we decided to do tommies/thumbers all the way. It's about a 300 foot hole I would estimate. The pin is on top of a hill, and the snow had been packed into ice. We got to within about 20 feet of the pin in 2 or 3/ We all thew a few putts that hit metal and slid 20 feet back down the hill. We kept putting (tomahawk/ thumbers) until we hit about 15. At that point the guys behind us were pissed off so we picked up our discs and went to the next hole.
Being told I qualified for USDGC as an AM playing my first pro event, then recieving a call from Columbus telling me I wasn't. OUCH. Some knucklehead thought he qualified at another event but wasn't. (Keith Warren I think...)
State championships, I threw on a blind hole. My group and i could not find it after looking for quite sometime. We all thought it went way too deep. I re-tee after a few min. OB. Double circle six. As my group and i walked away the group behind asked did anyone leave a disc. it was my first toss, 15 feet from the basket......

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968