www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi All,

Just wondering what your most disappointing moment in Disc Golf has been so far? We've all seen the bloopers reels, where one of the pros takes five shots to get to a basket perched on a hill, and the disc keeps rolling back down the hill and stopping in a water hazard.... whats your "hard luck" story?

It might be watching your favourite disc sink to the bottom in the middle of a lake, it might be hitting the chains on your drive, only to see the disc cut through and drop out the other side, who knows. Looking forward to some tragic (and potentially funny) stories!

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last year I was defending my title at the Crystal Cruise in Illinois. I was down by four going into the second round on the second card. My friend was winning I told him to light it up because I would catch him otherwise. Well somehow I was able to catch him. On the first playoff hole I threw a tomahawk about 20 ft away for the win. When I let go of the putt I immediately starting raising my hands in triumph as it spit out the back of the basket. Hole 2 I missed a 30 footer for the win. Then on hole 3 I made a amazing upshot to push it to a fourth hole, but somehow I doink the 15 footer. Oh well my buddy won and we split first and second. Second loss of the season in a playoff.
My most disappointing moment was a couple years ago. I was 16 years old, and playing in an adult disc league here in town. My partner was a 30 year old guy who had a load of power. We were one of the two best teams in the league, and we were down by 1 going into the last hole. The other team has a fairly decent tee shot, pretty much sealing the deal. My partner gets up, and throws just a MOONSHOT, lands 10 to 15 feet away from the pin. We were playing alternate shot at the time, so of course, the pressure was on me to hit the put to send us to extras.

My motto for putting, is "Step up and hit it", because if you think about it to much, youre going to fall short, every time. So I stepped up..and hit it. And by "it" I mean the lip of the basket, In and out like a fast food restaurant. We ended up finishing second on the league, cutting out winnings in half.

We did win the team tournament, and I won the Amatuer singles tournament, and singles glow tournament that night.
My most dissapointing moment actually lasted a whole night. I was playing in a league. We played teams of two and you took your best shot. My partner was gone that week, so the pressure was on me to at least get some points. Well, needless to say i choked, had the worst round ive had since starting disc golf, and lost 3 discs to the water. Still havent really gotten over that night.
I was disapointed the day that I returned to the spot where I had lost my Roc just the day before. I was seconds away from giving up, seconds away from reaching nearly an hour of looking in the bottomless wet pit of a drainage ditch for the second time. Very steep banks surrounded the entire area and as I said, just seconds now from calling it quits when , slip. I fell on my right hand, breaking my pointer finger. Surprisingly I was able to finish the round. I never had to quit throwing. When not throwing, I self medicated with a popsickle stick splint and ice but it aches tonight, four and a half years later. I never found or replaced the Roc.
I'm always nervous when playing around other people. Even though they're on other tees, I know some people watch others as they're waiting for their turn (I for one am guilty). I'm more confident now with my distance, but back then I was horrible, so I was stressed. At this particular tee, there is a rather large lake to the left, just off the fairway. There's also two people behind us sitting under a tree watching people drive. I turn myself to drive off toward the right, so that the disc does not go off into the lake, while at the same time deciding to throw my trusty favorite driver and not a floating disc just in case - yeah, me wanting to show off the max distance I had which was meager at that. Of course, my throw is awful, flies hard to the left, and the inevitable happens! Needless to say, unless I am confident I can make it through, I now always throw my Dragon arond water unless I'm ready to part with the disc --- just in case.

My husband let me re-tee that, and my second attempt wasn't much better. It went hard right, going over the fairway, so I still made a fool of myself. lol. I'm better now, thank goodness, but I could have just left the park then and there that day!!!
I dont know how you can throw a Dragon. I feel like im throwing a paper plate when I throw a dragon.
I got my my very first witnessed ace with a 173-4 Red "Xmas" 1st run X Buzzz at USF. The next day I was practicing at the Gran Canyon in Brooksville and was throwing OLD #25 or #26 which was a short shot into what was/is now #25's green and I watched go into the sawgrass. An hour that day and the next, then 2 1/2 hours on the last day and a whole bunch of scrapes and raw skin and I never found it. It might still be there, that stuff is sooo thick!
This past December at the Charleston Classic my 2nd round started on hole 16. For anyone who has not played Hampton Park it is about 250' I guess from tee to basket across water and onto an island green. One of my buddies in my group took an 11 or 12 to start the round on the hole. I think he ended up like 4 or 5 down the next 17 holes though which was a positive.
1996 AM worlds...

Leading the tournament from round two until the last 3 holes of the tournament, Buddy Steen birdied the last three holes to beat me by two. That choke hurt a bit!
I't's actually two moments on the same disc golf trip. A group of friends all head up to Colorado in late August or early September to hang out and play disc golf in the mountains. We've been doing it now for almost ten years and it's still pretty cool. Two years ago, while on the Vail course at Beaver Creek, we bought a lunch voucher with our lift tickets and got a ten dollar break, so we were on hole four and it started raining pretty good. We were right by the lodge and decided to go ahead and eat lunch. I was carding the round and out of courtesy if your inside of five feet it's a pickup, well when it started raining, we hurried and putted out only nobody picked up my leaner (my putter was under the basket) and it got left behind. After we ate and resumed our round, I noticed on hole five I had no putter. I went back up and looked for it but it was gone, and we asked a couple groups that played through as well, but it was gone.
Two days later in Frisco at the resevoir course on hole eighteen, same thing. I was carding the round again and there was a group right behind us so as I was getting the scores we moved away from the basket. That was the last round that day and I didn't notice I had lost my backup putter until the next morning as we were setting off for another round.
OUCH! Both putters were Omega Supersoft 1.2's
They've been replaced but the memories still linger and I still give my buddies crap about it. But like the Old Man says, "who's putters were they?" and I know the answer.
didn't we look for that disc for an hour? and folks the field was mowed, to a height about 4-6" and 6 guys coluldn't find it :-/
that is just nasty! soft technology working AGAINST you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968