www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm looking for an accurate way to compare the flight of various discs, especially across manufactures. I really like innova's rating system with speed, glide, hs turn and ls fade, I am not a fan of discraft's -1.8 stability rating. I find myself turning to the flight charts on many of the retailer's websites but i find them inaccurate or inadequate; Marshallstreet compares many of the discs relatively against each other but lacks any numbers, Joe's flight chart at gottagogottathrow is all numbers but his numbers don't seem to line up with the manufacturer claims. I know ultimately the disc is going to fly how you throw it and be affected by wind and how worn in the disc is. All that said, how do you rate the flight of the different discs and whose flight cart to like best?

Tags: characteristics, chart, flight, rate, rating, system

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you venture to Disc Golf Center .com, there is a chart in the upper right corner of every disc. Should help you.
I'm with Scott, buy em all and then sell the ones you dont like! The Marshall St chart is good, and once you work out roughly what area your technique works with, you can try different discs from that area.
i guess i want numbers because that's the way i like to compare things (insert fact that i'm a math teacher here). given an open field a beast and an orc are going to land in about the same spot but how they get there varies significantly. i want to to know as much about a disc before i buy it as i can learn. i know there are far too many variables to know exactly how a disc is going to fly but the more data the better if you ask me. thanks shizzler, that's what i was looking for. while i wish i could buy them all and try them all, i think my fiance' would have an intervention for my addiction by week's end.
I appreciate your exactness about what it is that you want to know about discs. I'm a perfectionist in a lot of ways and would like to know this as well. Innova has the best chart for disc comparison (for what you want), but it is only relative to "their" discs. Those numbers will only make sense to you after you've thrown several of them.. Those numbers are only estimates anyway because of the way you throw, the weight of the disc (150g compared 175g discs of the same model and plastic will state the same flight characteristics, but the light one will be more likely to turnover more and have more glide), wind, type of plastic (DX, Pro, Champion, Star, R-Pro, etc.) and other variables. Discraft made it a little more simple by just giving stability rating. Like others have said already, you just need to bite the bullet and play with several discs to find out what you like. The other thing to keep in mind is to throw all the discs flat and relatively hard to learn how the discs fly for you....this is to be done in an open field for best results. If you keep doing this you'll learn and memorize thru repetition and then know what to throw when you're on the course.
Gotta Go Gotta Throw has a Numbers chart as well as discgolfreview.com, but I find GGGT's chart to be better and more updated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968