www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Anyone else out there working on a private course? Would love to share ideas and tips on things that work, haven't worked, challenges and how they were overcome and so on.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim, I started on mine about 5 years ago and am still working on it, although it is quite playable. With a private course, you never see the end of "improvements" you can make without someone else's permission :)

FYI, I created a "course owners" group a few days ago, where I am hoping lots of people working on their own courses will congregate.

My biggest tip would be to think carefully through every step you take to minimize the future maintenance work you have to do.

Here's a link to my course in the PDGA course directory. It's really only 9 Chainstars, but it is 18 holes. You play 9 clockwise and then 9 counterclockwise, using the same baskets.
Tim,
Are you planing Baskets or Targets? I play a lot here in Montana at a private course in Victor, Spiritwood. Nick is the owner and a very close friend. You can go to his site for some pics. http://www.spiritwooddiscgolf.com We are planning the 22nd annual Spiritwood Open in June. The site has a map showing the layout. The targets are fun, and challenging from the doghouse to the Dragon, 22 hole course on 20 Acres. Requests of $1.00 per round per person donation.
I have 9 permanent baskets (DGA Mach IIIs) and one portable DGA Mach II New with the chain conversion kit. Course plays as 20 holes (twice around, two different tees on each 'fairway'). I'll check out the site.
I'll check out the group and the course link. Thanks!

I moved in late November 2001, and started working on it shortly after. I'm also still working on it, but finally got the last couple of fairways in at least a 'playable' condition last spring. Still have a lot of work to do, and a lot of ideas of things I'd like to do to improve certain holes.

One decision I made early was to limit the number of fairways (10 with two tees each instead of 20) as mowing a longer, wide fairway doesn't take much more time than mowing a shorter one. Maintaining 10 long fairways takes much less time than mowing 20 short ones. Besides, baskets aren't cheap either!
Been working on mine for only 8 months but most fell into place easily and found 5 used disccatcher sports for cheap to get started. got 18 holes playable but only a route of about 14 due lack of baskets. I love it. We have had one mini tourney and the Athens DG Club bag tag match play finale here. Probably will start to have monthly-ish events. Had a great idea for basket fund raising... Buy a Mulligan tourney's, 5 bucks or more for a mulligan?!?!?! Discuss...
I had people bring up the idea of fundraising to help with the cost of baskets, but decided against this. Didn't want to complicate the 'private vs. public' aspect of things, and anyone having hard feelings down the road due to perceived ownership because of donations or fundraising participation. It seemed to be a 'cleaner' long range solution.
http://www.thefarmdiscgolf.com/

This is my place. It was born out of moving from a Disc Golf haven (St. Louis) to a Disc Golf Wasteland (Humboldt, Tn). Closest course at the time was Memphis, some 85 miles away. That's all changed now. Counting mine, we have 4 courses with a 20 minute drive of each other. What a difference 4 years makes.

I have found Round-Up, 48'' Deck Toro Zero Turn Mower

,Chain Saw, Fire

, Cold Beer

to be the keys to establishing and maintaining a course.
We first heard of disc golf in the fall of '99, and since then have totally dedicated our lives to the sport, founding, creating and operating Chainbiters Disc Golf on private land.

We started as a 9-hole pay-4-play on 10 acres in 1999 and have evolved into a 21-hole membership-type co-op on 40 acres.

We now host the Can-Am Cup, The Beachwood Classic, 6 local summer tournaments and year-round weekly leagues here at Chainbiters Country Club.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about disc golf on private land… We’ve been through it all!

We are here… http://www.chainbiters.com

At your service,

Grandaddy
Wow! Sounds great! Your Beaver Branch course, I didn't really realize you are from the east! I've never been there,only Michigan, and Sandusky, Ohio(Cedar Piont-amusement park). I grew up in Southern Cal, but I would like to see so many states. What's it like there, do you all have that Northern yankee accent,or the bostonian-type?!? We have developed a course here in our town, but the guy that designed it wouldn't listen to anyone but his anhyzer arm! I've seen some pretty interchangeable courses in Texas-Top of Texas in Amarillo has always been a good tournament. I love it when they can change things up and we don't have to go treking around town to another course for the rest of the rounds! So..., you should put some pictures of you and your course, so we can feel included! I'd like to see it.
Hi Tim I have a 18 hole course that is playable but still upgrading.I have used ceder posts from the place here for the poles .There free because they grow well here and we have been clearing out anyway.One of the guys here told me about www.hcdc.com its Hawaii Castaways Disc Club.Theres a picture of a basket at the top that I have used the idea to made some tiki type of baskets.I like the idea so much that I am doing the whole course like that.To keep the course cut and cleaned we have 13 pygmy goats and blackbelly barbados sheep.lol good luck.
I have 27 acres that I am getting ready to put a course on with Disccatcher Pros for baskets. It has taken me 3 years to save the money.

I also run a series of tournaments in NC, called the Homegrown Tour. There are 16 private courses on the tour and we average 80 people per event. The big plus of the tour is that the course owner receives $4 a head from each person playing in the tournament. Check out my website at http://www.raleighdiscgolf.com/homegrown/
hey chuckster,
We are just south of yall in NE Georgia, we got a 18 hole private course could be more holes eventually, but if you ever wanna add us to your tour drop a line. SLODOWN THO'Down.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968