www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It seems that the sport as a whole is starting to really take off, more and more people are getting involved, and there seem to be a lot more places to play than there were 10 years ago. That being said, it seems like DG is missing a real universal sense of community. I have been hearing a lot of people's frustrations with the PDGA. Just wondering what everyone thinks about where the sport is headed, and what complaints there are now about organizations (or lack of organizations) out there.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I kind of look at disc golf as following the boy scout inprint. Like boy scouts you play because you love being outside building bridges and having campouts........ you do it because you love it. It mostly just brings joy to our lives. That's why we do it. It's not really about playing well, then super well but it's the fun of it for most players I'd say. The guys that start and keep coming out in the evenings just enjoying the spin and the walk are how I like to play. Tournaments, shmernaments ........... good for some but not all. It's good to play a local but you've got to be motivated and dedicated if you want to play regionally. Like to see highlights of the biggies but would never aspire to be one of them. Like all the hacker ball golfers out there, we look to Tiger and Ernie and marvel but ...... they're not me and that's not my game. Same with Climo and Feldberg. It would be great to see the game recognized as a wonder game same as ball golf and shown internationally ........... can you imagine how many fabulous courses would be built then? The real work for the tournaments comes from the TD's in the trenches doing the prep work and pulling it together. For our area we don't do PDGA events for the most part. They give us rules and give the game credibility but they're not a huge factor here. I do love the course directory though as I'm traveling soon ......... so great infastructure there. Perhaps there should be a PDGA and an AmDGA under the auspices of the PDGA. Aspire to be a Pro let the PDGA run your world ...... want to be an Am join an Am division.
Fom a new perspective, I was most impressed by the big hearts that I have seen out on the course. I can't believe how much money the disc golfers in our area can raise for various charities. The lack of mega-sponsorship makes this achievement more amazing to me. Stringing on a comment made earlier, the grassroots feel of the organization is what really drew me in. It was the patience and generousity of my local golfers that kept me going, and I joined the PDGA to try to help grow the sport. I am now considering the DGA.. My husband and I traveled to California to try some courses, and I was surprised at how the locals there felt like old friends very quickly. Most everyone I met in Cali seemed pretty loyal to the DGA. At each course, I was welcomed, and I have experienced this in most places. I think there is a strong sense of DG community.
Hey there. I just want to give a little perspective from up north in Canada. By the standards set here i too am a relative newcomer to disc golf. I have been playing 7 years and like most of us here am totally in love with the game. I have been playing in non-official tournaments for the last few years and trying to meet as many people in this world as I possibly can. I love it, most people I introduce to the game love it. It is virtually free, what is not to love. We are actively growing the game here in Canada. There is a network already formed that is growing rapidly, from the grass roots up. The catch is, in order for towns, or municapalities to invest in the game they rely on a governing "official" body. This is both a blessing and a curse. As the game grows in popularity there is an increasing need for organization. However, this is what I think sets this game apart for most others. Because you can play for free you can organize for free. The community can congragate and 'worship' for free. Many people in this sport love it for this reason. I can play with my family (many of whom are under 16) and not worry that we are interfering with others on the course. People are generally happy to share the course and are not afraid of making new friends.

If there is a complaint about other organizations, it comes for the fact that sometimes 'memberships' are seen as status. Ranks and history are more important then personality. I recently bought 9 disc catcher baskets with a friend and have set up a course in the backyard of the house I grew up in. We are Nova Scotia's first disc golf course. We registered a business to design courses and have taught school PE classes and done free demonstrations. We have been on the evening news and front pages of local papers. The game is contagious. Often times the communities grow WITH the courses. In our business outline we note that a good course is built and maintained by the same group who use it. This makes our game special.

This is a life style and attitude as much as a game. People who play know it, and the ones who haven't played will soon find out why this is such a special game.

Cheers from the great white North
if I ever visit your area, I'll be sure to call you up! Me, my husband, and my two sons, the oldest being only 5 years of age, who loves to toss some plastic. (Not any good yet, but at least he gets the idea!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968