www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

In honor of the imminent return of brown park disc golf course I thought it would be cool for all to share their fondest memories of the old course. hope to hear lots of cools stories.....

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My fondest memory occurred in '06 (I think) prior to the course being pulled out to reconfigure the water runoff. I was a newbie to the game, had about 6 discs in the bag when I walked up to #16. Ran into this guy wearing Discraft gear hanging out on the teepad with a giant camera box full of approx. 30 brand new Discraft drivers. Chatted briefly with him and he offered to let me throw a bunch of his discs. He critiqued my form and demonstrated proper x step and reach back. This gentleman was a true disc golf ambassador!
Only later on did I come to find out (thru the discraft web site) that my teacher was in fact Mike Raley, discraft pro. Although I didn't fully grasp all his tips until much later this 15 minute session was the true start of my obsession. Thanks again Mike! If you ever run into Mike on the course ask him for help, that man knows so much about this lovely game.
can't wait for the return of Brown park!!!
At the age of 51, in 1998, after months of watching my kids throw Frisbees around the yard at poles (babysitter had taken them disc golfing) I bought a set of three discs at a sports shop and went to Brown Park. I threw my first-ever drive on Hole 1 and could immediately feel a frisson - the hairs on my back and neck stood up - and it felt like coming home. Like finding a missing part of myself. Instant addiction.
I hung out with the babysitter from terry's story.. 1997 he took me out to play after months of asking me to go out and play with him, and me telling him I'd never play a hippy game like disc golf.. Boy was I wrong
That summer I hit my first ace on hole 10..

From that day on I was addicted to what the disc did..
correction..I threw the frisbess around before I found out about disc golf.
Brown is where I learned to play (lessons from Mike as well), rode the bus after school half the time and spent the afternoon playing up to 6 rounds, for several years. Got my 1st ace there, my best score on an 18 hole course (-14) until 6 years later a -15 at kensington. used to play wolf, doubles, sell discs (amazing how many u can find to the right of 17 in the grass) and go for the 'am bush' on 15 and the woodchips on 8!
First round of disc golf in this century was played at Brown Park:

Early morning, before dawn, on January 1, 2001, Ben and I and - I think - three friends, got up and got to Brown Park just as the sun started to rise. There was about 8 inches or more of snow. We played a fast 18 holes and then posted the Internet claim to have played the very first full round of disc golf in the 21st Century. To my knowledge, that still stands. We've still got some pictures somewhere.
nice, I knew these stories would be good!!!
Brown was only like 3 miles from my apartment and i would play 5 or 6 times a week.I fell in love with the game at brown, i got my first ace at brown, and i was awed watching frame-o practice driving on hole15. The dude was parking the basket and i thought it was impossible. i also wasnt any good back when the course was in and had never managed to shoot under par, i always wanted to play the course the way it was to see how much i improved. oh yeah it was always muddy in the spring.
this is a pre-park story. that property used to be farmer bayliss's. we used to run around in the fields,woods and creeks. i learned how to ride a mini-bikes and motorcycles out there. just before they tore down the old farm house, iggy and the stooges lived there. they had big parties and left lots of stuff in the house when they moved. i am happy that my childhood playground is preserved as a park.
shout out "BROWN PARK!!!"
Always a great time at Brown. I also was a newbie to the sport when I began playing there in 2002. Gordie and Mike and other leaugers used to ask me if I would like to play along with them, and I always did. I learned a lot from that course and the people who played there religously, and have continued to improve because of people like them. I also had my first ACE at Brown on hole #10, I loved those woods holes.
brown was my home course.i got my first aces at brown. before i ever played in a tourney. i spotted for a group at the last ace race. a couple of days later, i drove on #8 which still had it's ace race tee marked,i drove from there and I ACED! and then next day i got another one. consecutive days-same hole. 2 aces.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968