www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello,

I have been doing some research on throwing sidearm and keep running across the idea of throwing 150g-165g discs for sidearm distance. Is this true? I have been throwing max weight stuff for a long time, I mean everything in my bag is at least 170 if not 175.

IF this is true I will be in the market to trade some discs, any idea where I can trade discs?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't throw sidearm but I'm not sure if the type of throw (besides tomahawk) makes a difference.
The weight of the disc does play a critical role though, usually related to wind factors.

I have a heavy Orc I throw when the wind is in my face or would send my disc in a bad direction, such as water. This heavier disc never flies as far as my lighter ones, but stays in control during these situations.
The lighter discs always go farther (except in head on winds). They are a little more sensitive to the wind factor so be careful.

I always lean to the lighter discs, unless the weather says otherwise.
DONNIE, the best place to trade discs is http://www.discaroo.com
I have traded over 30 discs since I joined, always with great success.
ENJOY :)
Thanks BobD and KIK,

Wow i thought there would be more insight? I guess I am pretty lonely when it comes to playing sidearm.
I would think at the lighter weights if you are getting good snap--->creating lots of spin lighter weight discs will flip over and not hold a line!
Well, truthfully

You just need to switch from sidearm to backhand
Its a Physics problem in reality. Heavier discs will eat more OAT simple inertia. Plus Lighter ones tend to be less stable than their heavier counterparts when talking about 150 class vs the rest, Some are close though.

I am sidearm dominant at least for distance, I've used the Xcal, destroyer, Max, Flick for max distance at max weight . You certainly could where available use those in lighter ranges but you'll trade some HSS and OAT eating ability.

Lighter discs are easier to turn, good choice for beginners, Good discs to learn to Hyzer flip, and good for downwind distance.

Still if your form is squeaky clean you don't have to worry so much about the OAT, you'll just need to make sure the light discs are HSS enough for your level of distance.
OK brother. I throw sidearm as well and all of my discs are above 170. I average around 300-320 with my drives. Ive never tried anything lighter then 172. so i couldnt tell you, but i got a Pulse in the mail right now that is 167 so i will let you know
im in your bag. I just ordered a star teebird 150 so ill make sure to update as well.

I cant hyzer flip my heavy stuff. All I can do is throw annys for distance or just hyzers.
i found that its really easy to flip my Flick on account of the 2.5 stability rating
Man...you gonna be sorry you bought a 150g O_o

I'm tellin you, just go backhand
hey now,your distance will suffer from the 150 g.Switched down to 150 because of wrist arthritis with the hope it might help the pain,still hurting.Moved back between 165-170,pain is less.Distance less than 300 you might smile,watch the wind.
Ok so my new Pulse ESP came into today and its 168 and i noticed a huge difference the first time i threw it. I average about 280-320 and my first throw with it was 350 so.... lighter discs + Forearm = DISTANCE

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968