www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

List one thing that you think that might help the game on disc golf be even better than it is.

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More and More and More National T.V. coverage
Mark Stephens said:
Of the 1000+ PDGA events that happen yearly, the clothing policy covers what 15-20??? I don't think that it is that big of an issue. Most people wear those clothes because they prefer to. My club ordered nice embroidered polos for tournaments.

nitegolfer said:
Kyle said:
How about letting the pros be themselves and not having to wear khaki shorts and a polo?
I agree. Tough to market stuffiness.

More beginner friendly courses.

Yes, and those are the events that have the potential for the most media coverage and to reach a greater audience. We can disagree all day on this.
I laugh at some of these posts. Im sorry i really do.

People crying cause discs are to expensive, people have to wear polo's at pdga events.

Supply and demand, Its as simple as that ! If people buy a disc at 16 bucks why mark the price down ? If a certain disc doesnt sell to their expectations they discontinue it.

Why not look presentable when you are playing at the top level ? There is no restrictions except for either a polo shirt or a dri fit shirt. No offence but how many of you guys actually play more then 2 NT's ? i can think of a handful on this site. SO in other words your bitching about something that really doesnt apply to you.

cant afford discs ? dont play !

dont want to wear a collared shirt? dont join the pdga or play NT's.

its pretty simple.
I have to agree with Beatz on this one.

Discs are cheap, compared to their ball golf compatriots. A $10 DG putter vs a $110 Ball golf putter. Not to mention that plastic is made from petroleum. If you don't like the price of discs petition your local politician to drill Alaska, drill, drill, drill; and the prices will come down. Better yet, play with paper discs.

As far as whining about wearing khaki shorts and a polo to better represent the game, it RULES!!! GET OVER IT!!! Do you really think sponsors like Buick, Cadillac, and BMW are gonna sponsor tournaments where they get to watch people wear a tied dyed shirt with a pot leaf on it, or someone rocking a Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt?? NOOOOOOOOO!!!! If that's what you want disc golf to look like then don't join the PDGA, don't play in A-Tier and NT events.

Clean up the game to grow the game.
John Hodgkins said:
Or no one will play and they will rip out the baskets just like they are doing here locally in Eugene Oregon...

Westmoreland is in some ways a microcosm of some of the things "wrong" with the sport.
On a beautiful day, early in the morning, with few peeps out there, very chill, it feels like the greatest pastime on earth. Then there are other times, when there are large groups of drunk/stoned/other players, making all sorts of noise, not following course etiquette, being followed around by wafts of smoke, leaving empty beer cans around, and not being chilly at all. Add this to the homeless folks that camp out pretty much all day by the tee off for the bonus hole making semi-inappropriate comments, and to someone not inured to it it can be a drag; especially women who don't feel like being ogled by creepy dudes. I don't like taking my girlfriend's kid along when it's like that. A 10 year old shouldn't be having to sit through an explanation of casual drug use and homelessness all for a game of disc golf. I haven't seen the baskets get ripped up, but if I caught somebody doing that, I might end up spending the remainder of my day in the lockup.
So different courses have different issues. Solutions? Since it's almost always free to play, maybe pay to play isn't such a bad idea in some places. Maybe course volunteeers that remind people of local course etiquette? I don't know the answer, but it sure is a fantastic way to pass time. I love Westmoreland, and it's a shame to see just a few people potentially diminish the experience for others.
D-Rex, nicely said dude.
The PDGA could have a promotional year where they give some money/plastic to someone who gets another person to join the PDGA. If you join the PDGA, you are more likely to go to tournaments therefore more likely to take your game seriously. The more people that are actually out there for the love of the game and not just a good place to get high, the better.
Sam Smigiel said:
The PDGA could have a promotional year where they give some money/plastic to someone who gets another person to join the PDGA. If you join the PDGA, you are more likely to go to tournaments therefore more likely to take your game seriously. The more people that are actually out there for the love of the game and not just a good place to get high, the better.

What our regional organization NEFA did this year was a buy one get one free membership enrolment, to encourage people to sign up. This is something I would love to see the PDGA do. They could certainly afford to do it. After that year is up, with double the renewals coming in they could further expand programs such as the endowment program to further help TD's grow the PDGA in their respective state.
I am also laughing at the comments made by people on this post. Clean up the sport to grow the sport has been going on for how long now? And, the results are the same. Just stating my opinion but if it is taken as whinning or complaining then this sport is still doomed to flounder around until the differences are settled.

Disc Golf is a regional thing and what is an issue in one part of the world is not necessarily an issue in other places. But, there are some that think what happens in their epsilon delta neighborhood (backyard) should apply to everyone else which to me is some pretty narrow thinking. Not thinking outside the box or square to me, but just my opinion. I respect people's desire to make this a better sport but respect is a two way street. My opinion comes from a marketing angle and I can agree to disagree all day long. IMO, limiting your marketability is not a sound business model and locks you into one direction.

The EDGE program is a good idea but at least where I live there are no true beginner courses. So, getting back to my OP it would be nice to see a basket or two or more in a park or playground so that families can go and get accustomed to DG before they go out and start cloggin up courses. Some families do not have time to play 18 holes when they simply want to get the kids outside for some excercise.

If discs are getting too expensive for the families and kids that the EDGE program is trying to target then maybe start a used disc fund locally so that the costs of purchasing discs are relatively cheap. What does a beginner need a new Champ Destroyer for anyway? Turn in x amount of discs and you get a free 1 year membership to your local club might work or something like it.

At the end of the day we all can agree that promoting DG is something that we all want. The problem is how we go about it. Since I do not play National tournaments and I am not part of the PDGA then I guess I have no voice.

I'll take my experience elsewhere.

Put a fork in me, I'm done.
I agree. Do it or don't. No one is putting a gun to your head.

beatz said:
I laugh at some of these posts. Im sorry i really do.

People crying cause discs are to expensive, people have to wear polo's at pdga events.

Supply and demand, Its as simple as that ! If people buy a disc at 16 bucks why mark the price down ? If a certain disc doesnt sell to their expectations they discontinue it.

Why not look presentable when you are playing at the top level ? There is no restrictions except for either a polo shirt or a dri fit shirt. No offence but how many of you guys actually play more then 2 NT's ? i can think of a handful on this site. SO in other words your nice ing about something that really doesnt apply to you.

cant afford discs ? dont play !

dont want to wear a collared shirt? dont join the pdga or play NT's.

its pretty simple.
hey now,very well said.Peace

nitegolfer said:
I am also laughing at the comments made by people on this post. Clean up the sport to grow the sport has been going on for how long now? And, the results are the same. Just stating my opinion but if it is taken as whinning or complaining then this sport is still doomed to flounder around until the differences are settled.

Disc Golf is a regional thing and what is an issue in one part of the world is not necessarily an issue in other places. But, there are some that think what happens in their epsilon delta neighborhood (backyard) should apply to everyone else which to me is some pretty narrow thinking. Not thinking outside the box or square to me, but just my opinion. I respect people's desire to make this a better sport but respect is a two way street. My opinion comes from a marketing angle and I can agree to disagree all day long. IMO, limiting your marketability is not a sound business model and locks you into one direction.

The EDGE program is a good idea but at least where I live there are no true beginner courses. So, getting back to my OP it would be nice to see a basket or two or more in a park or playground so that families can go and get accustomed to DG before they go out and start cloggin up courses. Some families do not have time to play 18 holes when they simply want to get the kids outside for some excercise.

If discs are getting too expensive for the families and kids that the EDGE program is trying to target then maybe start a used disc fund locally so that the costs of purchasing discs are relatively cheap. What does a beginner need a new Champ Destroyer for anyway? Turn in x amount of discs and you get a free 1 year membership to your local club might work or something like it.

At the end of the day we all can agree that promoting DG is something that we all want. The problem is how we go about it. Since I do not play National tournaments and I am not part of the PDGA then I guess I have no voice.

I'll take my experience elsewhere.

Put a fork in me, I'm done.
There ya go nightgolfer put words in my mouth. Im so glad you could express what i was not getting at. Too bad you havent the slightest clue. Opions are like well you get the idea. You totally missed my point, but thats ok let me take it slow for you.

Its not that you dont have a voice, infact you do. Just pick the wrong time to say something.

I am not part of the pdga, nor do i have any intentions to play a NT. Do i help out during pdga events ? Yes i do. Do i help with my local club ? Yes i do. Do i do more for disc golf now then i would with me joining pdga ? Who knows. Fact is its not about what you do or who you know or what you join its about having the balls to step out of a crowd of followers and actually do something for the sport.

My point was quite simple, why bitch about something that is purely by choice. No one is gonna slap your mother for you not joining the pdga. Im under the assumption that a good amount of people who play disc golf dont even know what the pdga is, dont know what a falling putt is and havent the slightest about a collored shirt rule at NT's.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968