www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that listed all of the permanent courses on ball golf courses... I believe their called fly 18 courses? Anyway, was interested to see how many were around. Also wanted to know what they charge for green fees compared to the ball golf on the same course? If anyone has been involved with making one of these courses a reality, please email me.

As a ball golfer, I know there is a lot of courses that don't get the play that others do, because of the costs involved in keeping teepads/fairways/greens in good conditions. As a result, you end up with a golf course that is in average to poor condition for a course. Average to poor condition for a ball golf course, is typically outstanding condition for disc golf. Anyway, we have several courses in the area that are like this. WE could put some killer courses up on them and help them out with traffic. Before I start with any proposals for these courses, I wanted to pick some brains about the concept. I'd love to hear any and all ideas...

Tags: 18, ball, course, disc, fly, golf

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm from Colorado, and I have to admit that I was a little surprised to pay for disc golf on my vacation to California this year. I understand fees for places like Emerald Isle (first ball-golf course I ever played disc golf on and lost a brand new disc into the "ponds"). Loved it. Morley field, though? Are there any non-fee courses in So-Cal? You guys should visit CO and play some of the best at-altitude courses for free. :)
I've run 4 tourney's on a ball golf course over the last 2 years since playing emerald isle with the great Rhett Stroh. Ball golf courses generally use trees to define the fairways so I used those trees plus the greens as Hazards to create a challenging course that flows with the ball golfers. I like to use the cart path as the tee pads for great tees with little work. (temp course) The course I use is a 7- 11 course 7 par 4s 11 par 3s with one par 4 as a par 5 disc hole and a long par 3 as a par 4 creating a par 63 course. sand traps, and greens ob along with water keeps discs from damaging the greens and creates some great hazards. wish I could get the course to make it permanent. We sell them out of their beer, and help with the slower summer months. They also said they could drum up a lot of publicity for the course, being the first course in AZ to offer disc golf. The 6 grand for baskets is the sticking point not to mention tee signs and other expenses. He would probably do it with cheap baskets, but I think it would be a big negative for pay to play.
Gaff
Another thing you can do with golf courses is make on or over the paved cart path o.b. on some holes. This can make a lame hole into something quite a bit more challenging. You can do this to force play into the rough or to keep play on the fairway, whichever works for the course design.
Look at www.fly18.com

Was there when the first course was being designed (Titusville, FL)...
It is an inspiration to get disc golf mainstream!
Hey Bren, Don't forget that course down in Ponca City that is on a ball golf course. JTP and I, along with three or four others drove down there three or four years ago to play their tournament. What a great course. There is a pennincula with water on three sides and I believe the water comes in to play on four or five holes. There are elevation changes, huge pine trees and some of the concrete walks are OB which makes some of the holes challenging. Just my two cents. You oughta to get it out. No pay to play either.

Taken from our thread at DGCR

Summary, this time sorted by State and City

Russian Jack Springs: 9 Holes in Anchorage, AK. On the golf course. (Open)

Splat Hill DGC: 18 Holes in Browns Valley, CA. On the golf course. (Events)
Echo Hills: ? Holes in Hemet, CA. On the golf course. (Closed)
Sun Valley: 9 Holes in La Mesa, CA. On the golf course. (Open)
Sea Pines Golf Resort: 9 Holes in Los Osos, CA. On the golf course. (Open)
Emerald Isle: 18 Holes in Oceanside, CA. On the golf course. (Closed)
Goat Hill: 18 Holes in Oceanside, CA. On the golf course. (Open)
Lava Creek DGC: 18 Holes in Paradise, CA. On the golf course. (Open)
Van Buren Golf Center: 22 Holes in Riverside, CA. On the golf course. (Open)
Verdugo Hills: 18 Holes in Tujenga, CA. On the golf course. (Open)

Hiirosen Disc Golf Park: 18 Holes in Oulu, Finland. On former golf course. (Open)

Rock Springs Ridge: 36 Holes in Apopka, FL. On the golf course. (Open)
The Quarry Golf Course: 9 Holes in Brooksville, FL. On the golf course. (Open)
Dunedin Golf Club: 18 Holes in Dunedin, FL. On the golf course. (Closed)
Myerlee Country Club: 18 Holes in Fort Myers, FL. On the golf course. (Seasonal)
Forest Hills Disc Golf & Country Club: 18 Holes in Holiday, FL. On the golf course. (Open)
Ed Austin Park (Fore Palms DGC): 24 Holes in Jacksonville, FL. On former golf course. (Open)
Lutz Executive DGC: 18 Holes in Lutz, FL. On the golf course. (Open)
Pine Oaks: 24 Holes in Ocala, FL. On former golf course. (Open)
Bobby Jones Golf Complex: 18 Holes in Sarasota, FL. On former golf course, across from golf course.. (Events)

White Oak Park: 18 Holes in Dallas, GA. On former golf course. (Open)
Bowden Golf Course: 9 Holes in Macon, GA. On former executive 9-hole inside the 18-hole golf course. (Open)

Kapalua Adventures: 27 Holes in Maui, HI. On a couple of former golf holes. (Open)

Amana Colonies Golf Course: 18 Holes in Amana, IA. On the golf course. (Events)
Gateway Hills Park (Carroll Marty DGC): 18 Holes in Ames, IA. On former golf course. (Open)

Edgebrook: 18 Holes in Chicago, IL. On the golf course. (Open)
Sleepy Hollow: 18 Holes in Decatur, IL. On former golf course, and ski hill. (Open)
Pines Hills: 18 Holes in Ottawa, IL. On the golf course. (Open)

Old English: 18 Holes in English, IN. On the golf course. (Closed)
Pine View: 9 Holes in Monticello, IN. On the golf course. (Open)
Bushman DGC: 9 Holes in Nashville, IN. On former golf course. (Closed)
Little Bighorn Golf Club: 18 Holes in Pierceton, IN. Adjacent to golf. (Open)
Indian Springs: 18 Holes in Trafalgar, IN. On the golf course. (Open)

Nasu Highlands Golf Club: 18 Holes in Tochigi, Japan. On the golf course. (Events)

Emporia Country Club: 18 Holes in Emporia, KS. On the golf course. (Events)
Emporia Municipal Golf Course: 18 Holes in Emporia, KS. On the golf course. (Events)
Fort Riley: 18 Holes in Fort Riley, KS. On former golf course. (Open)

Riverview: 9 Holes in Bowling Green, KY. On the golf course. (Closed)
Lake Cumberland: 18 Holes in Somerset, KY. On former golf course. (Open)

Trenton Street Golf: 18 Holes in West Monroe, LA. On the golf course. (Open)

The Greens at Hamilton Run: 9 Holes in Hagerstown, MD. On the golf course. (Part Time)

Grassyland Frisbie & Golf: 18 Holes in Augusta, ME. On the golf course. (Closed)
Pleasant Hill DGC: 18 Holes in Scarborough, ME. On part of former golf course. (Open)
Westerly Winds: 9 Holes in Westbrook, ME. On former golf course. (Open)

The Ponds at Lakeshore: 28 Holes in Ypsilanti, MI. On former golf course. (Open)

Edgewater Park: 18 Holes in Albert Lee, MN. On former golf course. (Open)
Fort Snelling: 18 Holes in Minneapolis, MN. On the golf course. (Open)
Wirth Par 3: 18 Holes in Minneapolis, MN. On the golf course. (Open)
Bulldog Run: 9 Holes in Plainview, MN. On the golf course. (Open)

UNC DGC: 18 Holes in Chapel Hill, NC. On former golf course. (Open)

Fontenelle Park: TBD Holes in Omaha, NE. On former golf course. (Future)

Pendaries Village DGC: 18 Holes in Rociada, NM. On the golf course. (Open)

Mulligan Springs: 10 Holes in Suffield/Kent, OH. On the golf course. (Open)

Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC): 27 Holes in Estacada, OR. On incompleted course. (Open)
Portland Meadows: 18 Holes in Portland, OR. On the golf course. (Events)

Timberlink: 18 Holes in Ligonier, PA. On the golf course. (Open)

Lake Murray Golf Center: 9 Holes in Chapin, SC. On the golf course. (Open)
Crestwood: 18 Holes in Denmark, SC. On the golf course. (Open)
Harbour View Golf Complex: 18 Holes in Little River, SC. On the golf course. (Closed)
Tupelo Bay: 9 Holes in Myrtle Beach, SC. On the golf course. (Open)
River Chase: 18 Holes in Union, SC. On the golf course. (Open)

Groves Park: 18 Holes in Oak Ridge, TN. On former golf course. (Open)

The LINKS at Quail Valley: 18 Holes in Missouri City, TX. On the golf course. (Closed)
Spring Valley DGC: 28 Holes in Spring, TX. On the golf course. (Open)

University of Utah: 18 Holes in Salt Lake City, UT. On former golf course. (Open)

Skyline Golf Course: 18 Holes in Cathlamet, WA. On the golf course. (Open)

Irish Waters: 18 Holes in Freedom, WI. On the golf course. (Seasonal)
Highbridge Hills: 54 Holes in Highbridge, WI. On incompleted course. (Open)
Dineen: 18 Holes in Milwaukee, WI. On former golf course. (Open)

Propose your ideas to courses with an empty parking lot on Sundays (non football Sundays).

Greenfield lakes Disc golf course in Arizona.

http://greenfieldlakesgolfcourse.com/index.php

Southern Californias newest duel use golf course just opened in Burbank. (De Bell)

http://socaldiscgolfclub.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/debell-is-the-new...

Hey Bren,

Any specific course you have your eye on?

There is a nice dual use facility near Chico. 18 baskets along an under utilized 9 hole ball course. The concept works out really well. Everybody seems to get along well (the ball golfers are very interested in our sport). The owners are happy to have us there - so happy, they're putting in a disc shop. The $4 fee is not overly expensive, and it keeps out the rif raff too. I think this concept could be applied successfully elsewhere!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3264&cimg=66421

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968