www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey,

I found a town that has a great park and would be Ideal for the disc golf scene. I would love to find out what I have to do to get the ball rolling. I don't know the first thing about setting up, who to talk to, etc. As it is a smaller town, I could see events being held in this area as a good revenue spike.

For those who have set up courses where there wasn't one, where do you start? Who do you need to talk to? How do you get the funding for the project? If someone has documentation on this subject that would be a bonus.

I appreiate all feed back, concerns, questions, etc. This is something I am looking to do down the road and I am ready to take the time that is needed to make this sucessfull.

Thanks,
-Eric-

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric,

I was looking to do something similar at the college I work for. Unfortunately, I was told it would look pretty bad to tax payers if we built a course (even if I could get much of it paid for) and then the college asked for a referendum for a new building. That said, I know there are several resources online for starting the process. Heck, even Innova has a whole packet you can print off.

When I went into my original meetings I had aerial photos (which you can often find online), budgets (how many holes? tee pads? baskets? how much time/money?), timelines, etc. My initial proposal was tabled, but I was told that the fact I had pulled together so much information and could answer so many question right from the beginning that we could look at it again in an upcoming budget...two years from now...but who's counting.

Good luck! I still have my binder and maps sitting on top of the file cabinet behind me ready to pull out again in 2010.
I just completed installing a course in Willows CA, and am in the process of installing one at an Army Corps facility in Orland CA. I would suggest making contact with the local Rotary Club (as I did in both communities). They are all about improving their community, and have been a significant force behind the creation of many courses here in CA. You will probably have to introduce them to the concept of the sport and sell them on all its benefits, but once you have convinced them they can really help you to get a course installed.
Thats awsome. I will start gathering all the nessary info needed, and once I have it all I would like to get it in front of a few people who have set up courses before. Once everything looks good, I will look at the Rotary Club. I know the town has one along with other organazations.

Any other ideas that would help??? Anyone? Open disccusion here. Please feel free to comment.

-Eric-
Disclife.com has a proposal template that is prewritten and all you have to do is fill in the blanks for your situation. I haven't looked at it completely but it seems like it could be useful.

http://www.disclife.com/propdoor.shtml
Nick said:
Disclife.com has a proposal template that is prewritten and all you have to do is fill in the blanks for your situation. I haven't looked at it completely but it seems like it could be useful.

Sweet thanks!!!

Also Mark,

About parks and rec, yea I think that would a good idea as well. I think I can contact them via the chamber of commerce. I will have to find out.

Tons of good info here guys. I appreiate all the feedback. Keep it comin.

-Eric-
talk to your park board go to board meetings and tell them your idea ,Im currently helping setup 3 courses in my area and have been working to raise money for a current course ,it takes time and it can get fustrating but dont give up
Mark Stephens said:
I will tell you that the Chamber of Commerce is not going to be an official from the government. They are a group of businessmen. Not that you would not want them on your side as well but, they are not going to be the people in control of a park.

Eric Sears said:
Nick said:

Sweet thanks!!!

Also Mark,

About parks and rec, yea I think that would a good idea as well. I think I can contact them via the chamber of commerce. I will have to find out.

Tons of good info here guys. I appreiate all the feedback. Keep it comin.

-Eric-

I will have to keep that in mind. I wasn't aware, nor am I really aware of how things are ran when it comes to Goverment/Public land.
hey now,dealing with the chamber of commerce will get you blank stares.First one has to be a paying member,then they might listen to you.I doubt it very much,after all it's not Ball golf or baseball,fishing any Established buisness or league.Parks and Rec is your best bet for local input/info.Any established disc golf club to help you along with the county and all the previous mentioned info.Good luck

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968