www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A bunch of 'younger' players talk about 'old school.'
I know a bunch of 'experienced' disc golfers that are phenomenal at this game.
Tom Monroe, Gregg Hosfeld, Steve Slazor, David Greenwell, there is a list. If you have ever played with them you see an 'awesome bag of tricks' in their game. They hold their own on any given day.

To me 'old school' is not about a 'disc golf' subculture hippie lifestyle, but how the game is played.
These guys will take you to school! And learn you will.
This game is a blast.
When played and executed well it can be even better.
What this game needs is 'real teachers' of it.

Opinions..........

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I wish I had some old school golfers near me when i started. My first store bought disc was a wraith, I barely used mid rages, always played my huge fade as if it were normal, etc. If someone had pulled me aside and told me to pick up slower discs, learn to control Rocs/Buzzes, or anything that wouldn't hide form flaws due to High speed stability, I would have saved a lot of time and effort lerning what I know now.

And now that I know it, I wonder if I would have listened to it. I try often to recommend discs at my shop based on throwing ability, Most of the time people are only interested in the fastest and newest stuff. Its almost taken personally when you suggest a more beginner friendly disc, after all some of my customers may have been playing as much as 2 months prior to coming in lol.

I think more clinics, A true understanding of the discs ratings, more emphasis on form etc would help the game immensly. I have been looking at it as a potential early season club function to raise awareness and do some teaching. We have a handful of guys that have the ability to teach at a high level, and they seem interested. But yeah old school players have a lot to show a new player.

Nothing better than using a midrange dropping straight down and outdriving a destroyer that meathooked for someone who just doesn't understand yet, its the clearest lesson learned.
yeah matt i wish there had been a few to help me out in the start but i have ran into a couple of old schoolers and they did school me but gave me alot of pointers as to what i was doing wrong,,and man these guys are old and still throw right down the middle nothing but chains..
Yea know when I think of Old School disc golf, I think of the Cally boys back in the day. I know I am still fairly new to the sport but I dont see many "Old Schoolers" here in AZ. What about other states?

-Eric-
I pulled a 360 drive in a bag tag match the other day and parked it on a 400 ft hole....needless to say the group went nuts. I didn't tell anyone that I had been practicing it for about a week at the park by my house with a Blowfly. I have been pulling out the 360 Teerex drive on the bigger pads.
Ah practice, what a concept.
I would bust my A$$ if I tried that lol. To much coordination for that one.

-Eric-

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968