www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Anyone ever wonder that? How a disc goes through the process of becoming a disc and why it is given the name we all see?

I think I can guess as to how disc get their name. Take the Discraft brand midrange disc. Buzzz, Wasp, Drone. I have thrown each one and it seems they all feel the same with a little difference here and there.

But the Destroyer???? How does that work? Why is it the Destroyer? Maybe it broke something when they were testing them? Who knows?

How about this, Innova just recently released The Boss!!!1! The Boss, disc of all discs perhaps? What happens when something bigger and faster comes out? Is it still The Boss or does it take a seat and become the disgruntled employee?

I’m not here to just bag on Innova. It seems all brands do something weird. If anything, if we were going by the name of the disc and how it relates maybe Lightning Disc hit the head on the nail. Ever check out their names? #1 Driver, #3 Hyzer, #2 Slice etc. That’s kinda cool, at least you know what the disc is supposed to do.

Let's talk dumb names, or names that just don't make sense. Anyone ever wonder what QJLS means? OoOOHH wait the Dragon. A disc that floats on water. I don’t associate Dragons and water when I first think about it. Maybe that’s why they made a Hydra by chance? Ok here's one that cracks me up. Daredevil puts out a disc called the Beaver. THE BEAVER!!!! One question, why? From a company that has a fairly cool name, they have a disc called the Beaver.

Ok so like I said, I’m not bagging on anyone or anything. I would like a logical explanation as to how disc get their name. ORRR If anyone has a better guess then I do, I would surely welcome that.

A very confused,
-Eric-

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thats a good question i have pondered on that as well
they pay someone to think up names that will sell thats the only thing i can think of
When they run out of animals, they use storms, or tough things like a orc, beast, or a destroyer, hammer, Roc. And yes, Lighting did a good thing by putting on the discs. Aas to what it will do if you know how to do it. Years ago they had all of their discs with an airplane or jet on it and they would not sell in Japan. To many bombers during WWII. Those discs are now collector disc. Maybe Lighting knew what they were doing and put away a few 100 thousands of them and will make out later on down the road.

Send an email to all of the 18 disc companies and see if any of them will tell the story of disc names. Be glad to hear their replies.
good post Eric. I was just thinking about this the other day. I'd like to know as well. I think they just went by "cool" factor. I mean.. The Wraith.. Destroyer...Boss... they just sound bad a$$.. "Ask Dave" in the PDGA forum. He might know.
The "Beaver". lol. Sounds like the disc will find water wherever you throw it. I think the Destroyer name is meant to claim that it will destroy the competition. The LS in the QLS stands for Long and Straight. The J was added to differentiate the name from the Polaris LS when the first limited run came out. The Q is new to me.

I did hear a rumor that the names come from a Top Secret marketing research firm that utilizes the combination of a chicken, a dictionary and sensory deprivation, but I could not confirm it. lol

I'm still waiting for someone to put out the "Chicken" approach disc. Lots of fun with that name.
nitegolfer said:
I did hear a rumor that the names come from a Top Secret marketing research firm that utilizes the combination of a chicken, a dictionary and sensory deprivation, but I could not confirm it. lol

I'm still waiting for someone to put out the "Chicken" approach disc. Lots of fun with that name.

LOL Top Secret. Would not suprise me.

ROFL Champion Chicken... Sounds like part of the Innova line. Roc, Eagle, Firebird, now Chicken.

FYI Innova lol

-Eric-
Too bad lightnings discs are junk
The "Q" stands for Quantum, which is the name of the plastic that the disc is made in. Still don't know why they picked the "J" to differentiate from the original LS.

nitegolfer said:
The "Beaver". lol. Sounds like the disc will find water wherever you throw it. I think the Destroyer name is meant to claim that it will destroy the competition. The LS in the QLS stands for Long and Straight. The J was added to differentiate the name from the Polaris LS when the first limited run came out. The Q is new to me.

Innova needs to bring out a putter and call it the Sloth. Sign me up!
Hootie said:
Innova needs to bring out a putter and call it the Sloth. Sign me up!

No way man...That sounds like a Daredevil disc. Put it right along side wtih the Beaver ROFL

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968