www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I don't know about you but my drives in a tailwind come up 2/3 my normal driving distance. What do you use in a tailwind?. Why?

Tags: glide, tailwind, wind

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

star sidewinder, just a good flying tailwind driver for me
The same disc I would use anyway.

Its best to learn to control it in all situations
A tailwind stables a disc up. So you need to throw something less stable. I use a first run Champion Edition Leopard for all tailwind throws. If it is a short hole say under 300 I might use a Cobra but you gotta put air underneath it. So, to recap. A tailwind pushes the down and makes it stable. So, grab a flippy disc like a Champion Sidewinder or a beat Leopard and put some air underneath it.
A tailwind stables a disc up. So you need to throw something less stable. I use a first run Champion Edition Leopard for all tailwind throws. If it is a short hole say under 300 I might use a Cobra but you gotta put air underneath it. So, to recap. A tailwind pushes the down and makes it stable. So, grab a flippy disc like a Champion Sidewinder or a beat Leopard and put some air underneath it.
150 Destroyer nose down and let the wind push it.
Something I was told once has helped me out with this problem. Headwind=Throw Overstable, Tailwind= Throw Understable. With that said a Headwind will make your disc less stable so you have you go heavier, more stable, or a mix of. Same with Tailwind. Less stable lighter disc seem to be key here.

Something of a mystery for me right now is a 168 Sparkle Z Force seems to be a great disc no matter what the wind conditions are lol.

If someone can verify this I was wondering. If you put enough spin on a disc, does it help negate wind effects no matter the direction of the wind?

-Eric-
I'm a big fan of the Beast for tailwind drives, seems to work well for me.
If your distance in a tailwind is less than your normal distance than you're likely using a disc that is too stable or not giving it enough height.

When throwing with the wind choose a glidey less stable disc and give it a little more heigth. The converse would be true when throwing into a headwind.

Discs that you normally use as turnover discs will typically give you the best results with a tailwind. A beat teebird, a pro orc or a beat beast should work well as tailwind discs.
Eric Sears said:
Something I was told once has helped me out with this problem. Headwind=Throw Overstable, Tailwind= Throw Understable. With that said a Headwind will make your disc less stable so you have you go heavier, more stable, or a mix of. Same with Tailwind. Less stable lighter disc seem to be key here.

Something of a mystery for me right now is a 168 Sparkle Z Force seems to be a great disc no matter what the wind conditions are lol.

If someone can verify this I was wondering. If you put enough spin on a disc, does it help negate wind effects no matter the direction of the wind?

-Eric-

Spin does stabilize a disc, rather having the correct or enough amount of spin per your speed at release will make the disc fly as intended. Obviously there is a point of no return for discs designed very understable, but spin and lack of off axis torque are the needed ingredients for those nice straight 300-350 Roc/Buzzz shots. Since manufacturing spin isn't really something you conciously do, you don't really manipulate that, but it is a reason a disc may not be as suited to one golfer as another or one situation to the next. There are form issues that can let you get the most out of spin you can produce but it seems some guys do impart more than others for whatever reason. Discs with natural built in stability or overstability seemingly regardless of spin are the preferred choice for wind applications
I have a 168g Champ Sidewinder for a light to moderate tailwind and a 160g Champ Sidewinder for a heavy tailwind. All of the discs suggested are good choices.

A tailwind will force your disc to drop unless you throw something that is a little lighter and let the wind push the disc.

Also, observe which shoulder the tailwind is coming over, meaning is it a direct tailwind or a left shoulder tailwind or a right shoulder tailwind. If it is not a direct tailwind then you may want to throw a different path (anhyzer path or hyzer path) to maximize the wind's pushing capability.

More spin on the disc will help it generally stay in the air longer. More spin will also help the disc in fighting the wind whether it be a headwind or a crosswind. And when you throw with snap you can control to a degree how much "power" you put on the disc which can relate to spin. To me "Power" is speed and spin combined. And, yes, having good form will maximize your power while making it look like you are effortlessly throwing.
Champion Sidewinder
Eric Sears said:

-Eric-

the more spin you put the less stable the disc will fly. so, no spin doesn't negate the effects of any wind but extra spin will help into a headwind. extra spin into a tailwind will change your disc flight, but spin is what makes the disc fly so far, so if you can compensate and throw the right disc then more spin will never be bad for your distance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968