www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about trying to make the chains on a basket quieter...... I love the clanging of the chains as I hit another putt.

However, I think I keep my little ones from napping sometimes due to the noise traveling thru the ventilation from my basement.

I am looking for something cheap and effective without it effecting the performance of the basket. I have heard of running yarn thru the chains....anyone got any ideas???????

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you put like me its no problem !!!, lol
I've done something like you described using some ribbon intertwined a few links down from the top. Tightened it up so everything was drawn inward a bit. Made the thing quieter, but it was a homie so who knows what it would do on my chainstar if I tried it. One nice benefit - it makes the chain ass'y smaller and thus a "regular" basket eventually looks quite wide.
i believe you can fix anything with duct tape...
I just put a blanket in the bottom of the basket and also one in the chains, that seems to work for me.
It's a sin to muffle chains lol Ummmmmmmm maybe sound proof the kids room or something like that?
Peter, on some of the baskets on my personal course, especially those near the road, I decided to de-emphasize the presence (camouflage) of the baskets by painting them barn red. I used regular old barn paint and a brush. Not only do they look surprisingly attractive, even as the pain wears off, but they make less noise and Ben says that they catch discs so much better that he thinks others ought to adopt this technique for that purpose.
I know I hate to muffle that lovely sound!!!! But I would rather practice than not practice!!!
A couple of thoughts, though they are both outside your parameters =)

1) Remove the chains and put a piece of pipe foam around the pole. Fairly easy on my target and I feel it makes me pay more attention to where I am putting. I have to hit the center pole to get a putt in. But I am a "loft" putter, probably not a good idea if you are driving your putts hard at the target.

2) Nylon chains. Might be pricey and might effect your target, but quieter than metal and will slow the disc better than no chains at all.
I found a cheap portable basket at MCSports that has plastic chains and it doesn't make that much noise...my neighbor's never complain about it. It's plastic hitting plastic and thus not as high pitched. the basket is a thin enough wire frame that you can easily wrap stuff around it to muffle the basket noise as well. and around the base all you would need is a blanket over the feet and that should cover the majority of the noise...the price I paid for it was $90 and it cam ewith 3 discs as well.
gateway makes a plastic basket looks pretty funny though. seen it in the last issue of DGW

The Tri-State basket is great for indoor putting. Mike Raley learned how to putt on this basket, it is very unforgiving. We call it RARRY!
On my home course in Apple Valley, Minnesota, the park department dipped the chains in a thin rubber like material to help reduce the noise of the chains for baskets that were near homes along the park. This was one of our solutions to help, so that some of the neighbors near by wouldn't keep complaining about the course. The rubber like material is very thinly coated on the chains and does reduce the noise, but not completely.

Hope that helps!

Bill Ashton

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968