www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about trying to make the chains on a basket quieter...... I love the clanging of the chains as I hit another putt.

However, I think I keep my little ones from napping sometimes due to the noise traveling thru the ventilation from my basement.

I am looking for something cheap and effective without it effecting the performance of the basket. I have heard of running yarn thru the chains....anyone got any ideas???????

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you can run rope vertical through the links weaving back and forth
that is like putting a muffler on a nascar. not allowed!
probably would help with any possible rust as well.
i don't think much of the idea of extra paint on chains to help keep the putts in as that sounds unsporting. spray some silly putty on them and see what happens since it is home use only. ha-guess that would make the putts stick too but; lets not get courses painting them to help putts stay.
ya I know what you mean....but I was also thinking it may do two things: 1. quiet the chains 2. perhaps extend the life of my practice basket (innova discatcher sport- this is not designed for permanent installation) and worry that rain/snow may start rusting the basket.

the basket towel and blanket trick had helped keep it quieter when the kids are napping. The best part is when i want to hear the lovely sounds of chains I can just take out those "mufflers"!!!
Silicone spray, you can get it at almost every hardware store. Works great, and the easiest and most inexpensive way that I know. You can make it a little more quiet on top of that by wrapping the center pole with any kind of thin padding like bubble wrap and then duct tape it.
I put pipe insulator foam on every other chain plus the pole -- works very well
The quick and free technique that I used for my portable dga in my apartment was to take that holy ten year old bath towel cut it in half and duck tape it to the center pole. The chains still hit together, but it is very quiet and the neighbors thought that I took it down as opposed to throwing 200 25 footers every day/night/morning
you can get some spray on plastic you get at homedepot or other hardware stores its used for dipping metal pliers in to make coated handles this should work
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up coming up with something that works well but can easily be removed in order to hear the chains in full glory!! I lined the pole with USPS clear blue bubble wrap, significantly reducing the sounds of the chains. Best part is that I can still see the Discraft sticker on the pole thru the bubble wrap.
I have seen in the past pipe insulation (like to kind in your basement) wrapped around the main pole inside the chains and held in place with electrical tape. I believe that the main noise from the basket comes from the chains slapping the pole. I certain you can get this stuff at any hardware store and it probable comes in 8 or 10 foot lengths. I'm pretty sure it’s not that expensive either. Hope it works out, we have kids also and I remember the days of trying to stay quiet while they slept (keeps momma happy too...)
Good luck,

Rumble Out
ear plugs/ear phones or some white noice like a fan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968