www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

If Innova 10x are so popular...... Why doesn't Innova come out with more of that same type of disc?

If the Innova 10x Aviars are so popular... Why doesn't Innova come back out with that grippy type of plastic? I know each of the years kind has a different quality to them..All the pro's I know always talk about or bet 10x disc... I think it'd only be a smart investment to resurrect that type. Just a question I was thinking about.

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the 10X, at least the KC Pro 10X Teebirds etc, were made of the most desirable CE Blend, the opaque taffy type CE not the later run that looks exactly like todays champion but stamped CE. Seems as though its simply a matter of those materials not being available anymore. I think all the disc manufacturers use the materials they can get most readily, and while someone must know what or how to make the kind of plastic Innova was using they must be unwilling thus far or it isn't cost effective. I do love my CE discs though they feel so nice and yet are seemingly indestructible. Not sure what the Aviars were made of but if it is that kind of plastic it makes sense.
I also think that each production run (10x, 11x, etc) is unique to some degree depending on so many variables.....plastics, cooling, ambient temps......therefore sometimes it is impossible to recreate the "magic" of some discs.....The reason I say this is I love Discraft's 2005 player's cup edition z trackers. I asked Mark Ellis on the course the other day why discraft won't make them anymore since the newer Z trackers are way more stable. He stated they have tried to recreate that disc with the same plastic and haven't been able to .....he also loves the PC version.....so it may not be that they(disc companies) don't want to make them identical to previous runs......they just may not be able to replicate the same disc for whatever reason!!

Another reason to horde certain discs if you really love them!!!!!
Some other degrees of production quality include how high the machine operator was, and what their source of plastic was that day.
I have been told by some of the Team Innova players that the material used [plastic pelets for the melting into mold ] is no longer available in large amounts for the manufacture to purchase , hense why we are seeing this . Is this true , I have no idea , but if you think about it , if your makeing disc's your going to buy material in bulk to get the price down lower and your going to want to buy in bulk so you can make a huge manufacturing run all at one time hence the term manufacturing run or first run or 10X , 12X etc etc.
I know for a fact that Innova went to differnt types of plastic material because it was getting harder for them to get what they wanted[in the form of requested material] .Im sure today this is one of the reasons we are seeing Innova make Disc's in multiple types of plastics. That and to research flight patterns in different plastic's. Ive also herd that the material used in the questioned disc's is also wanted for something else by a total different manufacturer for a total different product that demand was paying more dollar for then Innova was willing to pay for.
Ahhhhhhhh for the buisness world that we live in , interesting.
I have found in my time of playing that if you can locate some old aviars that came out in the early ninties , you will see and feel a lot of resemblence in the X runs from any year .Im useing aviars today that I bought in 89,90,91,92,93 , I do not have any of the X stuff from any year and never have . But what I have noticed from my friends that have these X disc's is , I like mine better.
I know what its like to want a disc you like that is not made any more or the material is not the same . Ive been through this a few times. When I stared playing I was putting with a aero then moved to the green DGA Putter Driver with the rifleings on it, then I moved to the aviar. I moved to the aviar in 89 and have stuck with it since , and yes im still useing the same putters today.
Good luck on your hunt
Adapting to the winds of change is a must in this sport

Stephen9973
Ben Calhoun said:
Some other degrees of production quality include how high the machine operator was, and what their source of plastic was that day.

HA!!!
I appreciate all the comments and explanations. Though some.. "Ben"... could be probably be a possibility. I didn't even think of that one. Most likely it's what you guy's said.. Material, Temperature, ... "the Magic" ... I wish there was a proven recipe for every disc type to replicate it on a larger scale down to every elemental aspect of the creation process. If that were the case.. then again... higher prices for discs.

*sigh*
Sounds like a question to ask Dave Dunipace at Innova. Really depends on demand.
10x Aviars! How about the 1991 flat-top San Marino Rocs! And the CE Firebirds and TL's!

Here is my take based more on an educated guess than real knowledge. Plastic composition is an ever-changing market. I bet when the major plastic companies are formulating their newest products they do not call the disc golf manufacturers. They call the major manufacturers of cars, furniture, building products, etc. Or they just release whatever their engineers have created which supposedly does a better job in some way or another.

So when the disc golf manufacturers buy the plastic beads they blend into discs, they just get whatever is on the market at the time. Whatever was one the market two years ago or ten years ago is no longer there-it has beeen reformulated into a new plastic with different characteristics. It probably does not even occur to the plastic company that their new plastic creates a disc with a somewhat different flight in your favorite golf disc.

So even if the molders were totally sober-and could remember the exact recipe of different beads- and could recreate the same conditions- they now have different ingredients.

Now that we have candy plastic (and the candy plastic blends) none of this matters all that much. Candy plastic discs retain their flight characteristics for years. So just figure out what a disc does and adjust your throw to the disc.
Why don't they recycle more?
Grind up all the x-outs, have a return policy. Of used plastic
Remember getting $.05 for glass bottles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968