www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi. I work for Trulia.com, a revolutionary real estate search engine. I'm writing a piece for my Trulia blog (http://www.trulia.com/blog/ruth) about the best places for disc golfers to live. How will I determine the spots on this list? Your feedback! So let it rip...

Tags: area, best, city, club, course, disc, golfers, most

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tulsa Oklahoma, central location, great metro area of about 750K and 15 courses and growing.
I'll chime in for the first vote for Maryland. We have about 10 courses in the state including a beaut of a course 27 holes at Seneca Creek, also Patapsco, Rockburn, Druid Hill, and Calvert are nice courses in the DC/Baltimore area. The location is sweet too 2 hours north brings in a bunch of PA courses into play including beautiful Codorus where they have two courses. Paw Paw in WVA (two magnificient courses) is only 2 1/2 hours away and DA Grange (another 2 course complex with a TIKI course too) is 2 hours south. Spotyslvania county also is home to Hawk Hollow and Loriella 2 more sweet courses.
Don't forget Arkansas. Beautiful courses everywhere, even in the smaller towns like Russellville, Clarksville, Jasper. Of course the larger cities, Fayetteville, Little Rock, Fort Smith, are all well-equipped.
not bad in s.e. michigan
austin, texas
Tulsa, OK...hands down...Tulsa wins!
I live in the mountains of CO, near Aspen. Disc golf is very good up here and during the summer it's great. CMC Glenwood Springs, Carbondale Bert & Ernie park (small 9 hole push putt), Snowmass mtn, Aspen mtn, all great courses. Cost of living is pretty high, but with all the things you can do here like fly fishing, boating, skiing/snowboarding, climbing ... it's a pretty "fanstastic" place. My only complaint would be the lack of interest in the disc golf club and "organizations".

I will probably be moving to the Midwest in the near future to live closer to family, so I'll suggest the Nashville TN area. We visit frequently and I always enjoy playing there ... will probably be moving to Franklin TN. There are quite a few disc golf courses in the Nashville area and all of them are very nice. Great disc golf communities and clubs. Several new and proposed disc golf courses going in around Nashville and I think it will be a great place to live as a disc golfer. The weather is generally mild, and I never seem to not be able to play when I'm there anytime of the year.

The other side of my family lives near St Louis and I think that city is a pretty awesome place to be for disc golf. I'm sure it's going to get better and better with Gateway being located in the city. There are several very good courses that I always play when I'm in the area, and I'm sure more are being planned. Winter can be a little unpredictable ... sometimes it's nice, other times it's a bit harsh.

I'll also throw in Bowling Green KY. Great place to play disc golf and it looks like a nice place to live. College town.
anywhere in michigan really, diverse courses all around, and discraft
I'm from San Antonio, Texas and I know that Austin is the place to DG!!
Great question - lots of valid answers so far, as there are many reasons to pick a location as your "best place" for a disc golfer to live. Obviously it has to be someplace with baskets and courses. Good courses is a plus, as is a large number of courses, tournaments and other players. I happen to like playing in pleasant weather, and many seem to agree with that (seriously, would you choose to play in 2 feet of snow if you didn't have to live there for some other reason?).

I've played over 200 courses in 25 states (yes, I know there are people with higher totals) and have a few observations:

Florida: Where I grew up, great weather year 'round as long as you don't mind heat - several good courses (but they're awful spread out), home of the best player ever

Texas: In terms of sheer numbers, Texas is at the top, although some say it's awful hot and dry. I haven't played there that much, but I know there's quite a few historic courses and you can play pretty much year 'round.

Iowa: Greatest number of courses per capita. Some very beautiful parkland for disc golf (Ewing, Pickard, Grandview) and very friendly people on the courses. Snows in winter :( Cows and cornfields are cultural highlights.

Michigan: Several great courses already mentioned above, recently held successful Worlds, home of Discraft, close to strong beer over the border in Canada. Snow :(

Wisconsin/Minnesota: See Iowa above. Wisconsin has great cheese, brats being grilled before Packer games on your way to the course. Minnesota has the Mall of America to buy plastic at. Snow x 2 :(

Maine: Travelled there recently and found fantastic disc golf, however, that was the summer. What happens when the moose take over from October 'til May? Mmmmmm...lobster rolls....

Pennsylvania: Some fantastic courses here, whether in the Pittsburg area or near Philly. I don't dare say anything bad about PA or I could get suspended from the PDGA message board.

The Carolinas: Yes, they are two separate states, but that's just because of incompatible religious views of the colonizers. Charlotte area has a phenomenal collection of courses, tournaments and world-class players. SC has Rock Hill and a great dg community in Columbia. Innova West is there (can you say "Roc" about a million times?). Scwebby delivers pizzas in between thumber shots.

Colorado: Fantastic mountain courses on the ski slopes during off-season. Too bad off-season is so short. Great collection of tie-dyed Frisbee hippies to kick back with when snow takes away the golf. Snow :(

Oregon: Feldberg and Jenkins have brought some recognition to this NW mecca for great disc golf and very good beer. Great pace of life for disc golfers, which is why you find so many SoCal transplants...

Okieland: Great history of wonderful courses and fantastic tournaments. Windier than the butt crack of a chili pepper and bean-eatin' ranch hand (that would also be a hot wind, wouldn't it?). Is a Firebird stable enough to fly through a tornado? You'll get a chance to test that out.

Kansas/Mizzou: Great courses in the KC and STL areas, as well as sprinkled around the countryside. Some great tournament organizers (get ready for Worlds 2009!) and uber-historian of disc golf, Rick Rothstein. How many years of Ice Bowls? 'Lebendy-three?

Georgia: IDGC is here, although you have to drive 20 miles north of town (Augusta) to get to it. Some very good golf (Redan, Lenora, Wills, Deer Lick, R.I.P Chastain) around Atlanta, and good moonshine too.

NorCal: Ed liked it enough to move up here and make it home base for DGA. DeLa. Redwood Curtain. Stafford Lake. Tahoe. SF Safari @ Golden Gate Park. Quite a lot of combustible comestibles, for those who are so inclined (and we know a lot of disc golfers are...just not me).

SoCal: Wham-O used to be here, Innova is now. First basket course installed: Oak Grove, Course #2 LaMa, Course #3 HB. Big arms grown here. Discovering the World has been selling plastic since the 70's. More rounds are played each year at Morley in San Diego than any other course in the world, period. Some people never wear long pants, the weather is so nice. Swimming pools, movie stars. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

I know I've left off some, but I need to do SOME work today. Speaking of work, I took the PDGA Course Directory and loaded it into my GIS software to make some maps. I did some analysis of where courses were located, including a "polehole density" analysis where I calculated the number of baskets installed within a 50-mile radius of every point in the continental U.S. Northern Illinois, specifically the northern Chicago suburbs came out at the top. There are some spots there where you can have over 250 baskets within a 50-mile radius of where you stand. How do you choose where to play? Probably based on proximity ofthe course to deep-dish pizza, dogs, cheap beer and Cubs on the big screen (OK, the Cubs blew it again, so make that the Bears, until next Spring).

So, it's a very complex question...
I grew up in Austin Texas and when I first started playing there were 3 courses in town (not counting Waterloo which is object golf) and 1 in Round Rock. When I moved away there were 10 within an hour drive, or less, of central Austin. Now there are more like 16 -18 within 1hr to 1.5 hrs. As well, with the addition of Wilco, Manor East Metro and the course improvements at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock in the north and north east area, and Circle C and Circle R in the south and south west area, the greater Austin metro region has wealth of truly world class courses.

From a disc golf standpoint I wish I had never left. But I would likely have no wife, kids or career. Right now in Austin I could play a different course each day and that would take over 2 weeks!

My zip code 55077 (SE Twin Cities, MN) and several within 15 miles east and west have more courses (100+) within 100 miles than anywhere in the US. Of course, you can't check this out right now since the PDGA site is down. The Twin Cities has the largest known league, Sundog, in the country and we do play year-round. In fact, the most extreme league in the country will be starting next week and running thru March. Several hardy souls play glow golf Tuesday evenings all thru winter, no wimps allowed, on North Valley, one of the hillier courses in the country. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest state organization and produces the longest running continuous publication, The Floater. This is the home of innovations and new media such as the PDGA Player Ratings, Disc Golf TV, Disc Golf Course Designers group and PDGA Radio. This is one happening place for all things disc golf all year round.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968