www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I recently started throwing 150 Class discs in addition to traditional weights. I had noticed that some of the older guys (not that I am old...just 50) around my area were throwing them, and saw that Rick Voakes had won the Worlds with them.

I have a few....my favorites so far are the Champion Sidewinder for finesse drives, Champion Teebird for accuracy, and Champion Firebird for hyzers, spike hyzers and headwinds. I just bought a 150 class Z-Flick and was amazed at the amount of overstability.

How many of you use light discs.....which ones....and what situations?

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need to try out the ESP 150 class they just came out with. I love the feel of the ESP plastic and how I can get a better grip on it. The Z plastic seems to slip out of my grip but not with the ESP.
Discraft may have *some* 150-class plastic, but what they're missing are discs slightly *above* 150g. I have found that the optimum driver weight for me is between 155-162g. I can't find any Discraft discs in that range, but I can find plenty of Innova discs in that range (especially Champion X-outs.

I wish Discraft would produce some 150-160 discs, then I could try them out.
I juts picked up a 150g DX Destroyer, and I love it! I couldnt use a 168g Star Destroyer because it was too overstable for my power (or lack of!), but the 150g is awesome (might be more due to it being DX plastic though)!

Still learning it though, but from the first few throws I got good s-curves and good distance. I've also got a 150g Surge which is not bad, but I prefer the Destroyer (although it would be nice if Innova would release a 150g Destroyer in either Champion or Star plastic).

One thing I've noticed is since I've started playing I've gone lighter in terms of the weights I throw. When i first started I was throwing around 170g, but once I found the discs that best suited my technique, I experimented with weights, and found that 164-166g was better for me in terms of the distance I got. I should've listened to advice regarding disc weights before I purchased a bunch of discs, as it would've allowed me to learn the game a lot quicker and with more success.

So any newbies out there, take my advice: throw discs recommended for beginners when you start, and throw 150g-165g weights if possible. You can always go heavier when you have started learning good technique.
I like 150 discs for downhill distance and when there's no wind. You really have to be on your game because any OAT or too much power and they'll fly way off line. I always try to find a 150g disc that has some stability, and the 150 Eagles, 150 Surges and 150 Flicks have worked well for me. You have to give a 150 disc a lot more height, because its light weight gives it a tendancy to drop quicker. Make sure to put some extreme hyzer angles too, because even a 150 firebird will flip if thrown flat. I usually roll my wrist under right at the hit, it flips to flat and takes off.
I use the disk of 150 classes.
It used it in the world championship in the summer of this year.
However, only the putter bought and used a heavy disk.
It is limited to the disk of 152 grams or less in Japan.
It comes to be able to use only the one that the stamp was pushed from the coming year about this though there is variously opinion.
The player of a professional section uses a heavy disk in an overseas rally.
I also am fitting old times now though I threw out a heavy disk (In Japan because there was no limitation).
However, it is a fault that there is not so much kind of the disk.
Bucci
i have an ESP 150 flick, it has a stability rating of +2. since i throw most shots forehand, te works well. but i dont throw it much further than my regular 170ish discs....i dunno why? so i guess it dosent do me much good.
I'm with you on the 150 Storms, Bruce. Straight as an arrow!

Bruce Brakel said:
My 906 rated daughter throws 150 class plastic. She especially likes First Run 150 Flicks, but they are hard to find anymore. She throws a 150 Champion T-Bird for gentle turn overs and a 150 Z Talon for shots that need to hyzer or fade. In mids and putters she throws heavier plastic.

My wife likes the 150 Star Sidewinder for a turnover driver and the 150 Star Valkyrie for straight shots.

I've sold a lot of 150 Storms. If I were throwing 150 stuff, I'd definately be throwing the 150 Storm for mid-range shots.

I played around with 150 stuff when Discraft came out with their 150 Z line a few years ago. I found that I just couldn't get anything 150 out past 330 feet. When Discraft came out with the 150 Surge I found that downwind I could throw that farther than a 171 Surge. I think I was getting close to 400 with that.

I always keep 150 stuff in stock in the IOS merch. I may play around with 150 stuff some more this summer, but I'll probably keep my game bag in the 170s.
I want to try the 150 Flick, is it fast and overstable? For example, how would it compare to Innova's Xcaliber?
hey now,how about some input to Mark Ellis from Discraft.about your want/need in weight range.

Rizbee said:
Discraft may have *some* 150-class plastic, but what they're missing are discs slightly *above* 150g. I have found that the optimum driver weight for me is between 155-162g. I can't find any Discraft discs in that range, but I can find plenty of Innova discs in that range (especially Champion X-outs.

I wish Discraft would produce some 150-160 discs, then I could try them out.
Hootie said:
I want to try the 150 Flick, is it fast and overstable? For example, how would it compare to Innova's Xcaliber?

You will probably out distance the X-Cal if you can't throw the X-Cal due to being super overstable.
Funny thing about a 150 Flick, it doesn't care if you throw it back or forhand. It's just that good of a disc.

-Eric-

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968