www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Are there any methods that people use for breaking in new discs?

Since discs and car tires are both composed of man-made polymers, I wonder if heat-cycling would accelerate the break-in period on discs like it does for tires?

Any good metrics on how long the various disc materials take to break in?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rubber Mallets, Tee-Pads, Fences, any material you can throw your disc at, at high speed that is stronger then your disc. If it is DX or Elite X or D plastic just throw it at the ground about 10 times. If its Champ or Elite Z use a fence. Proto, Proline, ESP break in really well on gravel.

Works for me anyways.

-Eric-
I get new star plastic and let my kids go throw them in the yard for a couple of days. They hit alot of trees, the house, my work truck and the chain link fence. After a couple of days, the new is worn off.
Just throw them down on their edge on the ground very hard. This will tune them quickly and not leave the marks that trees, tee pads and other things leave.
I sand off the factory molding edges then just play with the disc as it wears in.
Line drives into a garage or brick wall..
Whachu guys got agenst new discs?
Throw your new disc on every hole for a while, only took me a week or so to break in a destroyer. I aimed it at a couple trees, a sidewalk or two, bushes, worked for me. Sanding sponges for sanding drywall work well for removing burrs on the discs edge, they are lightweight and easy to hold.
just play 'em
I play a few one disc rounds with all of my new discs once i choose to use them. that helps me get to know my new disc a little. Other than that i just let them break in on there own.
Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I don't think I'm advanced enough to appreciate the difference between a brand new disc and a "broken in" one. I recently drowned a Champ Orc that had several months on it, replaced it with a new one, and found that it flies nearly the same in my claw.
Microwave 10 minutes, each side. lol j/k
I've heard players say that after a disc spends time at the bottom of a lake for a few days it comes out less stable. Try soaking your new plastic in h2o for a week.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968