www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I figured I'd move this discussion to this Category since there is a lot of good info and individual efforts going on!!!

Creation of a GPSr File for the course directory

Hello,

I wanted to let you all know of an effort that I am undertaking to get the course directory into a customizable format for the Garmin’s NUVI, Tom Tom, or other Sat Nav units. I travel almost 100% for my job and I am use my Garmin 680 all the time..and I have built my own file over the past year or so and I wanted to make this available to the community and for everyone to use..So I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you own a Sat Nav? What brand and Model do you have? And do you think this file is of use?

2. This file would be free to anyone who wants it..the only charge for it would be to the retailers who want to be included in the file. So say if you were from out of town and needed to find the nearest store..all you would have to do was to look in the Disc Golf file. I am not sure of how much to charge yet…Clubs, courses and other not for profits would be totally free to be included.

3. I can include pictures, emails and web sites in the file so these can have as much info or as little as the Course Pro wants? Same with the Club info..I usually put the club into a neutral area around a course or center of a city such as The Mile High Disc Golf Club is located with the coordinates of the Denver Capital…The Phone numbers (if the unit is Bluetooth enabled) can auto dial the phone number in the file!

4. Would you be willing to help in getting some of the info and QA of the files for your areas?

A file already exists for free and for download but the only info it contains is the Location of the course and the Name of the course…I am working on a few test files and exactly what info I would need or want to be included besides the basic info such as Name, Lat/Long, Pro Name, Pro Phone, Email, web Site, description, and photo of the course..

1. The File has been created an resides on the POI factory Web site and is free for anyone to upload (this just contains the course info with no contact info)
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/7132

2. Discussion Thread for other files such as Google Earth .kml file
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/4722

I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Scott

Tags: Course, Directory, GPS, Nav, Sat

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fabulous!! Email me at the address below and I will send an expaned version of what I would like to have...Also if you could send me the CSV file So I can import it and add the additional info later that would be great!!! Have you QA'd the file for the coordinates?

phrizzb@comcast.net
Just a quick update.

I've actually updated my POI file and found over 300 more courses by cross referencing multiple sites and figuring out which courses I had in my original list and which I needed to add. There are 2,189 total courses listed. This has been a real task. Making sure there are no duplicates and gathering all of this. I have what I think is a very good and clean file if anyone wants to download it. I also took the liberty of creating 50 individual POI files for each US State and posted them as well. All of these including the "United States Disc Gof Courses" files can be found at:

www.poifriend.com

Search for “Disc Golf”

Here's the files to download for TOMTOM or GARMIN:
Attachments:
GARMIN:
Attachments:
If you have the lat/lon of the tees and baskets you can enter those as points in a Google Earth .kml file. Then you can use the Google Earth Tour feature to do a virtual fly-through of your course.
Yeah, that sounds cool and all but I was mainly focused on getting people to the courses ;)
Jimmy thank you..I will load these up...The problem now become we have multiple files out here and trying to reconcile them..I am please to announce the PDGA board is now considering giving me the Directory info...So I am not sure how to go about the reconciliation etc..

Aaron my email is above...I have a test update form that I can send you...I appreciate it..and yes I use Google earth allot to QA the coordinates to the Parking lots and not the first tees...
Yea I have seen a few of these from various course web sites...What I am trying to do is what Jimmy has said above..trying to get people to the courses and provide them with a local guide to eating, staying and buying plastic etc..What I have done with these types of course maps is include the link in the course file for people to look up and print if they want/need!

I love how all of this stuff is starting to melt together...
Yeah I figured it would become a mess with multiple files floating around. I did update my file because I am going to Atlanta, GA this weekend for a disc golf trip with some friends and I happened to notice that there were a couple of courses not listed in my original listing. I was able to go to http://www.dgcoursereview.com/ and check those locations and find the coordinates I needed. That got me thinking about how many other potential courses I'm probably missing. I will be glad to help out in any way. I have a ton of saved scripts that checks and analyzes things that help keep the file I created clean. Maybe it's time for someone to create an official web site to host 1 file have and 1 person dedicated as the Admin to allow for adds, updates and deletes of the file. Let me know if help us needed,
LOL...Right on Target! Redan is one of my favorite course in that area...East Roswell is awesome also with nice Bark fairways etc..Get a local to help...Make sure you post on thier forums - http://www.discgolfatlanta.com/

I have contacted the Disc Golf Review folks and they have given me permission etc to use links to thier info etc. At some point when I get this up and running I will need to get a release form for info that I want to use for the file etc.

Now my ultimate goal is to have the PDGA endorse these files - I am thinking there will be two files 1. With just the info from the PDGA in a simple CSV file for anyone to upload etc..and maybe break it out into states like you have...2. Is the Ultimate traveler’s guide that I am creating with the extra info like the course reviews, restaurants, hotels and clubs etc....with pictures etc...

I have a buddy that is looking into getting a web site up and running for me that contains the course update forms etc…but I want to make sure that I am not treading on any toes or repeating some one else’s process etc…So I am up for suggestions b/c once this gets rolling we are going to need as you say One place for this info to live and be updated…Maybe some place like Course Review for the travlers guide and the PDGA site for the CSV file with the link to the Travelers guide file….etc…
I have a Tom Tom XL. I think this is a great idea and would love to know when you have it up or if there are others out there that I could use until this comes out.
Welcome...Check the links above and I think Jimmy also put some links up for the files..but use some caution as we are finding out that some of the coordinates are off etc..

Please eamil me if you like to be apart of the effort to QA and create the files?

Scott
phrizzb@comcast.net
Great news everyone...The PDGA board just called and have accepted my RFI in general and a data sharing agreement is being drafted. So this POI file will now come with the PDGA approval and will be THE offical file of the PDGA. Also the board is entering into agreement with the web Site Disc Golf Review so I will also be contacting them in order to see if we can work on this together as to not duplicate our efforts and to formulate a plan for updates and maintenance of the files and content!!!

So if you or anyone else is willing to help with this effort please let me know...this is Awesome and has so many different applications that its a Candy Store effect!!! See case in point the Wiki map on the front page!

Yipppeeee!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968