www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I figured I'd move this discussion to this Category since there is a lot of good info and individual efforts going on!!!

Creation of a GPSr File for the course directory

Hello,

I wanted to let you all know of an effort that I am undertaking to get the course directory into a customizable format for the Garmin’s NUVI, Tom Tom, or other Sat Nav units. I travel almost 100% for my job and I am use my Garmin 680 all the time..and I have built my own file over the past year or so and I wanted to make this available to the community and for everyone to use..So I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you own a Sat Nav? What brand and Model do you have? And do you think this file is of use?

2. This file would be free to anyone who wants it..the only charge for it would be to the retailers who want to be included in the file. So say if you were from out of town and needed to find the nearest store..all you would have to do was to look in the Disc Golf file. I am not sure of how much to charge yet…Clubs, courses and other not for profits would be totally free to be included.

3. I can include pictures, emails and web sites in the file so these can have as much info or as little as the Course Pro wants? Same with the Club info..I usually put the club into a neutral area around a course or center of a city such as The Mile High Disc Golf Club is located with the coordinates of the Denver Capital…The Phone numbers (if the unit is Bluetooth enabled) can auto dial the phone number in the file!

4. Would you be willing to help in getting some of the info and QA of the files for your areas?

A file already exists for free and for download but the only info it contains is the Location of the course and the Name of the course…I am working on a few test files and exactly what info I would need or want to be included besides the basic info such as Name, Lat/Long, Pro Name, Pro Phone, Email, web Site, description, and photo of the course..

1. The File has been created an resides on the POI factory Web site and is free for anyone to upload (this just contains the course info with no contact info)
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/7132

2. Discussion Thread for other files such as Google Earth .kml file
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/4722

I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Scott

Tags: Course, Directory, GPS, Nav, Sat

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you using the coordinates for the first tee or the coordinates of the parking lot?
I use the guide posted on poi factory and I love it! is it ever going to be updated?
I am working through course by course state by state and working from the first tee or XX coordiantes and following the actual directions and adjusting the coordiantes to the now 'offical' Parking lot (driving) coordiantes...So this file will be fully QA'd as much as you can from a Computer desk without actually driving and confirming the coordiantes...which I fully hope would happen (feedback on the coordiantes - ie hey it would better if we had people park here in this lot vs this one)...
Thats what we are working on now...How is this working for you? Yiu do realize these coordantes are for the first tee and may or may not get you to the correct loaction ie parking lot...
State Update files that have been through pass #1:

Alaska
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Hawaii
Louisiana
Maryland
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wyoming
Florida

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968