www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Some players with perfect form and balance can throw with power and control on a sheet of ice (Al Schack and Joe Giebel). The rest of us tend to slip, slide and occasionally face plant. As a forehander who throws bent over and low to the ground, I have almost perfected the face plant. The key is once you realize your plant foot is slipping out don't fight it, just tuck your shoulder into a barrel roll. This saves the shot and most of your skin.

But, of course the better solution is to somehow keep grip on your plant foot and stay on your feet.

The best solution I have found is sheet metal screws. Drill them into the bottoms of your boots.

I use the half inch screws and a power drill. You can install them in minutes. We have been using them in Michigan for many seasons and they are now common amongst experienced tournament players. The screws will eventually fall out or wear out so they need to be replaced periodically.

The greatest advantage is that you can take most shots and be confident about your footing.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To Eirik, Yes there are ideal boots for sheet metal screws. 1. The sole is thicker than the length of the screws. 2. You no longer need them for other uses ( screws are not good for indoor use). 3. The harder the soles the less often the screws will fall out. So soft, spongy soles work poorly.

To Bryce, Outtakes would suggest there is real editing going on with the clinics. To date the planning for the clinics and the editing process has been: Turn on the camera. Start talking and demonstrating. Stop talking and demonstrating. Publish whatever happened.

As far as the location of the screws, I put about twenty screws on each foot in the area of the ball of the foot up to the toes. I put a couple in the heels. Most players use fewer.

Beatz, with all modesty ( ha ha ) my shots during the "fastest way to get better" clinic were spot on. Look carefully, the players trying to catch my shots were going after them, not realizing they were going to curve right into them at the end. One day Brian Sullivan wanted an excuse to get out of the office so we filmed a few shots in a field then had deep philosophical discussions over beer.

Blaze, The little strap-on grip chains and rubber bands don't last me a round before they break. There may be lighter and more agile golfers who get better results. The strap-on things also slip off and sticks and debris get caught in them.
I did see one where the guy must of ran in on one of the elevator shots cause you can see the disc drop behind him but he is stopping from moving forward.

took these out for a spin last night, half inchers w/superglue, didn't lose any, great grip...
btw, imo, the peet is the best heater/dryer ever for overnight drying, totally silent, a staple from my skibum days when warm dry feet are key...
I wonder if golf shoes with small spikes, or even track shoes with small spikes, would work...I'm going to do my best at keeping all of our pads free and clear of snow and ice this year in topeka...any ways, all good ideas
Mountain Climbing cramp-ons !!!!!
Is there any issue with wearing them on cleared tees (lack of traction or damage to concrete)?
This could seem like a strang rply to this discussion, but it does apply. A friend of mine was on the outdoor track team and he also played Disc Golf. The only winter I can recall playing in the snow (I lived in Florida the last 5 years), he used his track shoes to play which do have the small spikes in the front. Now I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a pair of track shoes just because of the price. However, if you live in the far north where there is a lot of snow and ice it could be worth it. Just a thought...
PS... Ball golf shoes work as well
Yeah but up here where I am, right now we have almost 2' of snow. The tee pads are the least of your worries, warm feet are worth more to me.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968