www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A fellow disc golfer and member of discgolfersR.us Carl Renda broke his arm at the NorCal series Championships this weekend on Sunday by throwing a thumber very hard. He contacted nothing. The arm broke around the elbow by the force of his throw. I am not sure which bone it is exactly. Please keep this golfer in your minds and hearts over the coming weeks. This was extremely painful and the golfer was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. The sound of the bone breaking could be heard on the course by players some distance away.

After hearing my son's eye witness account of the incident it got me thinking and now I am wondering if anyone else knows of this sort of injury occurring before. This was a thumber throw and in my experience one of the more injury prone throwing styles in our sport. But those injuries as far as I know have only been pull muscles etc.....

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never heard of a disc golf injury of that nature, nor have I heard of hardly any in general. Once I hit a tree on my follow through with my hand, small bruise. I almost got injured when I jumped 10 feet from a tree when I was stung about seven times in the head. Turning an ankle on a rock or branch is always a concern while stumbling through the woods in search of lost discs... I guess I pulled a muscle or something in my right arm on a drive once, it hurt and I played through it for about a year and a half.
Im pretty sure there was a baseball player, cant remember his name played for the TB Devil Rays, he had the very same type of injury throwing a pitch in a game. Not sure of the cause ... If ya got some internet searching savey Im sure you could find out more.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Carl!!!
Wow, that sounds absolutely aweful! Hope he has a speedy recovery and is able to play again. I wonder if he may have locked his elbow before the release and hyper-extended his elbow on the snap or something. I can't even imagine how else that could happen, or how painful that had to be. Would like to know how he thinks it happened, I sure don't want to live that moment myself.
That sure sounds painful. I wonder it his injury could have possibly been in conjunction with some osteoporostic bone loss from aging. I hope he's okay.

Gave me a great idea, though: I would be delighted if all of my 50 year+ and older competitors who are able to throw tomahawks and thumbers suddenly decided not to. For your own safety, guys, really.
Remind me not to throw thumbers !!!!!
Bryce Hill aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
Im pretty sure there was a baseball player, cant remember his name played for the TB Devil Rays, he had the very same type of injury throwing a pitch in a game. Not sure of the cause ... If ya got some internet searching savey Im sure you could find out more.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Carl!!!
You're thinking of Tony Saunders whose arm snapped as he was making a pitch. It happened again to him a year later as he was trying to make a comeback in the minors. Jose Canseco was a teammate of his at the time and has said it was steroids related (but considering the source, I don't know how plausible that is).

Another pitcher, Dave Dravecky, had it happen to him as well. He was trying to return after having a cancerous tumor removed from his shoulder. The bones in his arm had been made brittle by the cancer and the treatment. He ended up having his arm amputated a couple years later as a result.

I would think for the bone to snap from the torque of such a throw, something might have been wrong beforehand. I hope this gentleman who broke his arm throwing a disc is otherwise healthy and can make a full recovery.
I knew there would be at least on baseball guy on here that new who it was.
Our prayers are with him for sure. The worst injury I've had was falling on an upright branch that would have impaled my neck if it hadn't been rotten. As I play sunrise DG, almost always alone, I make sure I have my cell phone with meat all times.
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Carl !!!
Sounds like he's got a bone density issue...I'm sure they will test for it...at least they should. Probably will end up on predisone and some supplements.
Roger that Carl...Hope you heal quick and all is well. Practice with the other arm as soon as you are ready.

A member of our broke his middle finger on his right hand contacting a small pencil size shrub branch. He started throwing left handed as soon as he could and by the time he healed up....he now throws pretty well lefty and still as good on his right.
Danger !!! Speaking of injuries almost broke my hand throwing off a poorly placed tee at North Watertower Park in Sarasota Florida last year. I think it was number 3. I didn't even notice the sapling and smashed it right after my release.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968