www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The other day, I was out throwing some discs with my daughters and my 12 year old was practicing her putts. She was about 15 feet away from the basket and I was on the other side about 30 feet away. She threw her disc and missed the chains completely and it landed at my feet. I picked it up and kinda of tossed it back to her... just enough on it to get it to her so she could catch it. Well, she didn't realize I was going to throw it and didn't try to catch it. She had her Innova Deluxe bag on her shoulder by then. (Here comes the part you have to visualize...) from where I was, about 45 feet away, the Aviar flew over to her and landed flat on the top of her bag, bounced slightly up on end and slipped right down into the bag!! Right into the space where she keeps her freakin putter!!! That was almost like getting an ACE!!

A couple years ago, I was playing in a group and we were probably on hole 14 or so, when a girl in my group attempted a putt from about 30 feet away, up the side of a hill, and she hit the yellow ring on the top of the basket. I was on the other side of the basket about 15 feet on up the hill, bent over, laying my mini down. It was at that point that her freakin putter landed ON MY BACK!!! Her bounce off the yellow rim landed on my back!! Don't know the rules for that sort of thing, so I just stayed bent over and let her take her putter FROM MY FREAKIN BACK!!!!

Anybody else have weird stuff happen to them on the course??

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL yeah i have seen something some what close to that shot, but it hit off his leg and landed in his bag
So about a year ago I was playing in a tournament and my disc somehow ended up stuck in this! The course is built on a ski hill and this hole was about 400+ long and throwing way down hill. This metal structure was about 50 feet straight left of the basket on the edge of the tree line. After I throw some spectators at the bottom of the hill started yelling, I had no idea why. When I get down by the basket they pointed out my disc and said it just went straight in and stayed spinning for a few seconds, at first I didn't believe them. I then climbed up about 20 feet and pulled it out. There was only about a 1-2 inch gap between the edge of my disc and the vertical poles, plus it could only go in at a certain angle. Absolutely ridiculous!

hole two @ Jimmy Porter has three power wires and one smaller wire w/ a cable wrapped around it to keep it from breaking, the wires cross the fairway at 200' or so from the tee, I had a great drive, looked like an ace for sure and hits the small wire getting lodged between it and the cable, stuck thirty feet off the ground, we actually managed to retrieve it, I swore I'd never see it again but about a week later, there was someone elses disc stuck in between again
I've played the course a thousand times and never seen it, and then twice in about a week, who'd have thought it
>- Same course, different day, a disc is hucked at an unsuspecting squirrel from about 90' back. My buddy hit the squirrel. It jumped up did a double back flip, landed, looked around frantically and ran back up his tree.

My Squirrel story is not so lucky a Squirrel- Last Friday I was practicing for a ACE RACE at my local Park (Pic in my profile) using a TREE for a target at 100 feet I missed with my first shot so put my arm into the second round with a 180 wt ROC. When the disc was 20 feet out of my hand a stupid squirrel appeared from the back of the tree just in time to greet my second disc which NAILED IT and well it flopped around for a minute and expired.

Felt bad about this, I hate the little RATS in my garden- but didn't mean to harm this one. 1-1000 chance I could hit it.

irwinje said:
Crazy Stuff happens at Jefferson Barracks

-There is a tree with a "V" in it and I threw a champ orc and it wedged right in there (impossible to get out unless you climb) The tree is dead and on a hill so I left it and it stayed there for months. A guy that plays there, tree climber by trade, offers to get it for a beer, I accept. So he gets it. The next round I played there I threw a different disc on purpose, just in case... And I got it stuck in the same place. Unbelievable. I got that one back too for another beer.

- Same course, different day, a disc is hucked at an unsuspecting squirrel from about 90' back. My buddy hit the squirrel. It jumped up did a double back flip, landed, looked around frantically and ran back up his tree.

- Same course, different day, rainy day, we were walking around the bend on 17 and heard noises from the ditch on the right side of the fairway (its about 40' deep and 100' across boarded on all sides by trees). We walked by and looked down to find teenagers utilizing the course as a "love shack." Its not all together surprising. There are very low rent apartments that border that side of the course.

- Same course, different day, tournament day. My buddy's up shot landed about 5' from the basket. When he picked it up there was a small snake coiled up under it. Which not only scared the he!! out of him it startled the rest of us too.

- Different course, different day, tournament day. I was playing West City Park in Festus. Holes 13-15 have water on the right side. One of my shots goes close to the river, but not in. As I climb down the bank one of the guys on my card warns, "look out for that snake." Since we joke about that (see last event) I thought it was a joke. Right then I look down and see a 4' black snake making it's way to the river. I jumped out of the way FAST! I don't mind snakes, but I respect them and give them plenty of space.
I killed a squirrel with a low, line drive, using a tye dye 168 Champion Starfire. I'm pretty sure the collision cost me a drop in birdie. Judging from how far he flew, I can safely say, he didnt feel a thing!
I played in a "Mando Mystery" tournament last weekend in heavy winds--gusting well over 40mph. One of our "mando" shots was to tee off with our "off hand" straight into that wind. A guy in our group cranked one way over with his left hand, and it kept turning and turning until it was coming straight back at us! Then it kind of flexed out and finished about 100' behind the teebox.

At the same tournament a friend of mine lined up a 15' putt only to have the wind smack it straight down as soon as he released it--he left a 15' putt 10' short--lol. Then my doubles partner tried to hyzer putt our 12 footer into the same wind with his FLX Drone , and it turned over on him. Unreal.
Matt said:
I played in a "Mando Mystery" tournament last weekend in heavy winds--gusting well over 40mph. One of our "mando" shots was to tee off with our "off hand" straight into that wind. A guy in our group cranked one way over with his left hand, and it kept turning and turning until it was coming straight back at us! Then it kind of flexed out and finished about 100' behind the teebox.

At the same tournament a friend of mine lined up a 15' putt only to have the wind smack it straight down as soon as he released it--he left a 15' putt 10' short--lol. Then my doubles partner tried to hyzer putt our 12 footer into the same wind with his FLX Drone , and it turned over on him. Unreal.

This sounds like the standard wind at my home tourney in Fond du Lac, WI. Last year was the worst with winds like you described. A guy in our group had a rollaway on a 15 footer that rolled directly down the hill to the tee, held by the wind and ended 30 longer than his original tee shot...about 360 feet from the pin. It was a nice slow agonizing roll too. I think all said and done he carded an 8 on the hole that should bea sure par. We saw many other rollaways that day that prompted that same guy to later say: "I've never been so afraid to play disc golf in my life," with a perfect Blair Witch Project shake in his voice, hillarious. He still managed to cash (tied with me actually...so what does that say about my round?).
Birdie,
I had this happen to me over the weekend, and we couldn't decide if it counted or not. I know on top of the basket doesn't count but stuck in the side of the basket does. What about hanging off the side like that?
~JWI
Birdie-man said:

I hit this putt from about 15 feet and then it wobbled on the edge about 3X and flipped over onto the knobs. Gotta love Cass Benton Park!
I've had all kinds of crazyness on the course, one round out with a friend of mine (a 1000 rated disc golfer in PDGA tournys) at a makeshift course on the beach. My friend is one of the best disc golfers I know, but he gets DRUNK this round in particlular he was so drunk he steped up to the tee pad and sliped on the teepad (or lack there of) and actualy threw backwards, we all had a good laugh even though he wasn't too happy. Then to add insult to injury he stepped up again to throw from there and did about the same thing, throwing his disc behind him again. Of course on his next throw he planted in, and threw past where my first throw had gone, that stoped my laughing (a little bit).
I've of course had lots of discs taco'd in trees, some I've had to leave behind, and some I've gotten back.
I had one that happend at the Brewers Cup, a doubles tourny at my home course The Redwood Curtain. If you don't know the course, it plays through a 2nd growth redwood forest that still has lots of old growth stumps still around as obsticles (when your behind one it can be like being behind a house), the insides of some of them are hollowed out. One of the guys in my group threw his disc on hole 16 and it hit one side of the inside of a hollowed out stump, bounced back and stuck into the other side of the inside of the stump. It was a wierd one, I have a picture on my cell phone that I need to upload of it.
i over threw a 250ish foot down hill hole,about 30 ft past the basket was a p/u parked by the curb,as my disc glanced of the hood of the p/u it flew into the passenger window of a van driving by.the van drove for about 200 ft and the person inside tossed it back out the window onto the course.i think played it as inbounds.
chucker said:
i over threw a 250ish foot down hill hole,about 30 ft past the basket was a p/u parked by the curb,as my disc glanced of the hood of the p/u it flew into the passenger window of a van driving by.the van drove for about 200 ft and the person inside tossed it back out the window onto the course.i think played it as inbounds.

Now that's a crazy one, Good story.
And yet another weird thing happens to me the other day. I still don't know how, but I'm glad I got the picture

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968