www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

No matter what direction the economy goes in, it seems likely that we are all going to want to be a little more careful spending money. Here's a good discussion of ways to do that, starting with cooking with a crockpot.

Disc golfers are not the wealthiest population in the world. Got a dollar-saving tip that can help your buddies spend less?

Tags: cheap, money, saving

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is pretty obvious...but I'll throw it out there. When driving around running errands...plan your route ahead of time...in a loop, as in... not to backtrack. Put off making 10 mile juants for one purpose...wait till you have multiple reasons to head in that direction. Try to plan your route so that your stops are on the right side of the road if possible. Also, learn to 'Feather' your gas pedal.
Here's a good one....my wife says I am a master of this concept. lol!

We as Americans are the society of people who use products in ways that weren't there intended purpose. Embrace this concept. Before you buy something..check to see if you can make it cheaper. Before you throw something out..think hard about how and where you can use it. Always recycle your scrap metals...copper, aluminum, brass, steel...etc.

Construction and home improvement projects..learn to utilize your waste. For instance with having a pool recently put in...the contractor was going to haul away and off to a landfill... the extra dirt, scrap steel and concrete debris. The dirt, I built a berm that rises about 4 1/2 feet runs 35 feet and graduates back into the yard...creating some terrain and elevation. The hard pan I used to fill in ruts in my driveway...chunks so hard the Tundra couldn't smash'em down...had to break out the 12# sledge. The hard pan that has Iron content, I saved for plantings and composting.

The steel I cut into 16 inch stakes for landscape timbers.

The concrete, the small stuff, I built some french drains where I needed some faster and better drainage around downspouts. The larger pieces, I cleaned and will faux paint to look natural for various landscaping highlites.
I made my own bag straps for my disc retriever out of some elastic/velcro glove straps. I was going to just throw them out when I noticed what part of them might be good for. Also made some bag shocks out of some small bungee cords that I doubled over and crimped on my bag, (really small bungees). Oh, and the disc retriever, many people probably know already; is made from a golf ball retriever with a slot cut in it to grab the lip of the disc. Drywall sand sponges for sanding disc edges.
-Only play the course closest to your house (without green fees).
-I have heard of hypermiling where you put your car in neutral while coasting. Some even turn it off, but that would affect your steering and braking. Anything you can do to lower mpg.
-I hope to heat my home with wood this season. You can always find split seasoned wood for a minimal price by the truck load.
-RECYCLE!!!
Hey Presto, I'm trying the whole.. "put your car in neutral while your coasting" ... I'll let you know how much gas I save. Yeah.. gas prices are going down ..(probably because the early voting underway) but ...saving money is in everyone's best interest now days. Thanks for the tips people. !!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968