www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Those of us in the snowy north like to think that playing in tough weather makes us better competitors. But does that compensate enough for the fact that y'all in the south (and west . . . Hawaii . . . sigh) can play more often?

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

im in GA (yesterday in the 70s) but the only thing that affects my play is the wind if it is cold disc dont fly as far but if i try to play tough (going for shots that i need then i will play even worse
I think those players that do play in the cold, and snow are better adept to playing better in the winter and fall because their bodies are used to the weather.

Compared to those players on the west coast that have warmer weather longer would be mentally effected by the cold, but may have an advantage over the east coast players who may think its too hot for them, mentally blocking them from playing their best.

Now in Hawaii, very different creature all together. The heat, humidity, wind, and rain may mentally challenge any player from the mainland. Just like it would probably be hard on a Hawaii player to go to the East Coast and play during the winter. In Hawaii, you can experience all 4 changes in a single round. The trade winds change all the time, we have players from the mainland that are good come out and play, only to be beaten by the wind. And it rains when there is barely a cloud in the sky, and if it rains, it can be a drizzle or a down pour, and we play through it all. Ususally, after the rain the humidity goes through the roof.

So basically my opinion is this. I think players play tough when they have to, however, they play better when they are mentally and physically comfortable in the environment in which they are playing. Like the saying goes, its 10% physical, and 90% mental.
It has been my experience that diversity increases mental toughness in any discipline. It instills a certain confidence,
a certain "It's okay, I've been through worse" (even if you haven't) that helps you succeed or at least survive.

Further trudging in snow with heavy boots and bulky winter jackets can't help but get you in better shape. I've really increased my D over this winter, I only started playing DG again last July, Iadding about 75-100 feet to my drives. I can't wait to throw in a t-shirt (instead of a down parka) and low top hiking boots (instead of high top pack boots) in the warm summer breeze (instead of the howling arctic blasts).
Well, I think the idea sounds like it should have merit but, if you look at other sports, maybe not. The traditionally 'best' college baseball programs are in the South or West and many of the great college golf teams are also in the South or West. Nothing beats almost year-round practice and play.
I just moved from the Mecca of disc golf (Austin, TX, 26 courses within 45 minutes) to Rochester NY. I must say that living in the southwest provided me the opportunity to play everyday with almost perfect conditions. I have been in the snowbelt for 10 weeks, and have gone from playing almost every day to playing once a week. The locals don't complain about the snow and ice or the sub freezing temps, they put on 4 layers of protection and go huck. I am having to adjust to this. I feel like the little brother in A Christmas Story (all bundled up so that it is almost impossible to move). All the clothes make my backswing and the followthrough more difficult, and the -40 degree boots really slow me down in the tee box. We all have to deal with the elements. In Austin the summer temps are regularly in the high 90's with very high humidity, does that make you a better competitor. I think not, it just make you more creative on how to beat the heat. I cant wait for the temp to rise and the ice to melt so I can take off 10 pounds of clothes.
I think you have to play it all to take your game to the next level...Wind, Rain, Cold, makes you focus, makes you think about all the dimensions of the game..

Also the tougher courses create better more focused players. Our home course the "Sinks" is tight and technical; it will beat you down if you loose your head... Lot's of people don't like it because it is so tough, but others just want another shot at it.

Our players are consistently at the top of tournaments.. You have to hit the lines, play smart, and learn to take a few lumps, shake it off and keep going...

Elevation added to wind is now our next challenge with a new course coming with huge elevation changes. We can't wait for the next chance to play and learn......

The mental toughness you bring to your next tournament is what will separate you from the field. Can you take the double and recover? or does it send you into the a death spiral? Can you focus on the shot and not your numb fingers?

I played ball golf for 20 years, and it took Disc Golf to teach me the mental game..And I’m still learning each time I play…Bring on the pain so I can learn from it!
I have lived in Minnesota, Iowa and now California. It is awesome to be able to play year round in the same gear. No boots or bulky extra layers for me!

I remember the feeling during that first spring round when you can finally play without the boots and extra layers. You literally feel light as a feather on the tee pad and the discs finally fly as far as you remember.

To play in the snow, you really need a good pair of snow proof/water proof boots so you can slog around in deep snow or melted snow and puddles. There is nothing worse than getting wet feet. Wet feet = cold feet = miserable. The boots also need to provide decent traction on the ice. It is tough to find all this in a lightweight boot. By the time you add thick wool socks you just can't be as light on your feet. Snow board jackets and pants provide excellent protection to well below zero that is very lightweight and not too bulky. It is a workout having to shovel heavy wet snow and hoping to get in 18 holes before dark.

The best part about winter disc golf in California is: I NEVER have to wear boots and I NEVER have to shovel tee pads. So Cal weather forecast for this week - highs in the 70's!! Everyday looks good for disc golf in tennis shoes and shorts.

You may hate me now.

Me getting ready to shovel and play Bear Cave Park in Stewartville, MN

Putting on Hole 8 at Bear Cave

yes it has been snowy up here in the mitten
but I still golf at my alotted times- whatever's the weather's doing...
so my frequency really doesn't diminish much if at all this time of year
boy there sure are less casuals though
and from dicey teepads to refrozen slush fairways, winter golf teaches footwork and balance
lack of leverage has me choosing "up" a disc sometimes- like drivers where a middy would work come summer
it can be frustrating to lose plastic in the middle of the wide open, guess that's why I play AM lol
hole2 grand woods

a cell pic from a water retrieval last yr, glad it was him not me

hole1 grand woods, come summer it'll be jammed with groups waiting, where are they now?

why do added photos always go to the top? annoying to cut n paste 'em around--/ for the record............
Another major factor when playing in the snow is your footing. The slip-slidin makes it difficult to use a run-up or a plant foot. This forces you to play outside your comfort zone and learn some necessary types of shots, such as the utility sidearm.

Great replies above.
I am just outside of Detroit. As you know it gets stupid cold out here and I still play when i can. Its not just to stay in playing shape but to get out of the damn house! The main issue is the footing. It gets really icy and dangerous so your style is constantly changed due to the enviornment. Because of this, we dont get to play our normal game untill spring so it doesnt really help to play in the winter much - we just love it. Those folks in warm weather are spoiled but I will trounce them with only a week of warm weather to get back in form!! Bring it southern punks.
I don't think we have enough data to judge disc golf directly in terms of advantages and disadvantages. But we do know what happens for other sports that are primarily played in the Summer. Let's take baseball for example. There is no question that baseball is a warm weather sport and there is no question that there is an advantage to being located in warm weather environments.

If we take college baseball as our model, the last two CWS were won by Oregon State University. This resulted in a huge commentary because no Northern team had won the CWS in a couple of decades. They just can't compete with the teams located in the South that can practice year round. Even in the Pro ranks we see that the players who dominate are coming from Southern locations, CA, TX GA etc. The results are clear.

Disc Golf is different however, baseball simply can't be played in the winter, DG can be. The question that arises is how effective is that play? The mental toughness that comes from playing in harsher environments is real, but what is the play like? While truly cold weather is rare in Texas, nonetheless, I find that my game is different on those cold days. My style of play changes and my technique is different. As we all know, repetition of style is what gives proper muscle memory. If you play differently in the winter, are you helping your game?

I would argue that playing in winter is a mixed bag with some benefits and some costs. I'd also admit that knowing what those are and what the end result is would be difficult to quantify.

A consideration: At this point in my life I have less time to get out to the links than I used to. I compensate for this by putting and, yes, driving in my garage. I set up a baseball style net for catching and practice my drive technique in 65 degree comfort. This has paid off on the course for me in terms of consistency and accuracy. Many Northern College teams do the same and there is no question that they benefit from this.
I havent seen any grass in over a month here in eastern iowa and the temp has only been above freezing a handful of days in the last month also.

So when you dont even have a chance to play id say that makes it pretty hard to stay as competitive as those in the south

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968