www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Tags: advanced, disc, driver, golf, olympics, open, pros

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a hard time believing people actually think disc golf will get into the olympics . Some discers are so glad that this sport is a "underground" sport so they can partake in extra activities while on the course. Untill the image of a stoner alcoholic hippie is shed from the sport it will not be in the olympics.
I have had the rare opportunity to play with a few players from different countries and they love Disc Golf as much as I do !!!

Disc Golf is a International Sport !!!!!
beatz said:
I have a hard time believing people actually think disc golf will get into the olympics . Some discers are so glad that this sport is a "underground" sport so they can partake in extra activities while on the course. Untill the image of a stoner alcoholic hippie is shed from the sport it will not be in the olympics.

See its on the verge of digging its way out from the underground a few nudges and its off...
Be a Believer brother...

beatz said:
I think it would be cool but, while i don't do any "extra activities" while disc golffing, i don't think we could get very many players past the screening.

LOL
Doesn't the pdga have a drug and alcohol policy??? I'm sure if they do it will get more stringent as the sport grows it is inevitable...
irwinje said:
herbal enthusiast

LOL good one
now dont get me wrong i would love to see disc in the circles. However me always being a realist i dont see it happaning.

The PDGA does have rules about drugs and alcohol, however thats only during tournament play. Once the round is done anyone can go and crack open a beer, or blaze it up. I no longer do the blaze part but if someone wants to do such more power to them, just dont force feed it to me.

Besides whats wrong with disc golf staying at its roots ? a hippie sport but lovable to non hippies. We have enough asshats that play the sport and trash the courses do we really need more ???

People keep talking of the progression we need to make for disc golf, has anyone sat down and said hey its good where its at right now ?
Personally I think progression is great. If we just sit around on our thumbs and say "it's good where it is" we wouldn't see up and coming talent unless that is what people are worried about. Also I would love to see the sport shed the pot smoking alcoholic image, ever notice that when you mention it to people that is where the conversation heads first? I think that sucks. A lot of the people I play with in tournaments and league don't smoke or drink on the course if at all. Usually it is the casuals that trash the course and break their 40 bottles all over the place and get high on every tee. As far as i'm concerned those a$$ holes can go kick rocks!!

Food for thought...I have seen more pot smoking, drinking, and even other drug use more prevelent in ball golf than what I have personally seen on a disc golf course. But you don't see those guys on the tour. If disc golf was an olympic sport you wouldn't see your local pot head players representing the US, they would be high caliber players that are more focused on their game than getting high on the next tee.
I'm not saying I haven't smoked, or even that players in other professional sports don't use drugs. However I have managed to stay clean for drug tests when I need to, all it takes is a little self discipline. Not to say this will be an olympic sport by 2012 or even 2016. But I have seen more opposition from disc golfers on here than anywhere else...what's up with that?
Other professional sports have guys getting arrested for violent crimes and some professional sports have guys getting in trouble for steriods. Don't be the guy that perpetuates a sterotype. Just becuase some poeple may be ignorant about a subject doesn't mean we can't enlighten them. I have never read so much negativity in my life. Based on the attitude of the disc golfer that posted on here disc golf will never amount to anything.

beatz said:
beatz said:

LOL. Snowboarding, as already mentioned, seems to be doing quite well in the Olympics as well as their advertisers and especially the participants themselves. Guess the "hippies" did not get a chance to "ruin" that sport's chance to get into the Olympics. What does that then say about the younger generations and their ability to put their differences aside! I'm quite tired of old anti-hippies and hippies fighting their 40 year old turf war of ideas. DG is what it is!

It would be great, but at the same time, Olympic DG would not get prime time coverage and would be relegated to the 3:30 in the morning limited coverage time slot. And, the main reason, as Tim said for DG not to be included in the Olympics is because it is firstly, an American sport and secondly, it is dominated by Americans. Simple. No need to blame it not happening by now on a group of people.

No one is saying for American Football to be added as an Olympic sport now are they? Seems to be doing fine without the "Bump" from Olympic coverage. Didn't they remove Womens Softball from the Olympics because it was being dominated by the US? Not "FAIR" to the other countries even the US lost.

DG is an international sport but the amount of support and money currently available does not get many players crossing the pond for a B Tier tournament or even an A Tier tournament for example.

Keep dreaming and maybe one day it will be cheap enough to stream our own coverage and sell advertising and then ESPN will want in on the action.

On another note: If DG was in the Olympics the medals would be "Acapulco Gold", "Northern Lights Silver" and "Dirt Brown Bronze".

Enjoy :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968