www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Locally a big thing to do is sign baskets after an ace here in Greeley, CO. I was wondering if this is just a local thing or if it is common place around the country? Do you think this is a good idea or a bad one?

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if we paid 40$ to play this would be ball golf.
Ben....youve taken my comment completely out of context.That is NOT the point I was trying to make at all. It's about respecting property that does not belong to you.It's not about the money.I'm glad you looked beyond everything else I said and made a smart ass comment like that.That shows real substance.Again....It's about RESPECT and if you think it's ok for every casual kid that comes out to play and thinks it's a place to come and drink illegally and dispose beer bottles and garbage where they please ,and write all over everything, then I stand corrected. I don't know about you but I am sick of feeling like a maid when i go to my home course.Do you pick up garbage Ben or do you try to figure how long it's been there and admire it. I think I found a Bud bottle from back in 89' and it wasn't that cool.P.S. I do pay to play, and that course isn't trashed!!!
Ben Calhoun said:
Totally a superbad idea in my opinion. Sign the disc and not the basket, besides, you cant tote the basket as proof, or hang the basket on your wall.

Like everyone has been stating. Vandalizm is not cool. I know I would be upset to play another course and see that someone had signed the basket rim. Ugh, urks me just to think about it.
If your talking about hudson mills then that must mean i pay to play as well and if i were to get an ace there i would sign the tee sign just as i would anywhere else.

Dave said:
Ben....youve taken my comment completely out of context.That is NOT the point I was trying to make at all. It's about respecting property that does not belong to you.It's not about the money.I'm glad you looked beyond everything else I said and made a smart ass comment like that.That shows real substance.Again....It's about RESPECT and if you think it's ok for every casual kid that comes out to play and thinks it's a place to come and drink illegally and dispose beer bottles and garbage where they please ,and write all over everything, then I stand corrected. I don't know about you but I am sick of feeling like a maid when i go to my home course.Do you pick up garbage Ben or do you try to figure how long it's been there and admire it. I think I found a Bud bottle from back in 89' and it wasn't that cool.P.S. I do pay to play, and that course isn't trashed!!!
Ben Calhoun said:
That's not a very good analogy. The principle is the point, not pointless tagging.

JC said:
I'm in the don't tag it camp. I personally don't give two craps who got an ace on this hole or that hole. And besides, if I wanted to know, I'd rather hear the story from you than read your name on some post. The story is always more interesting anyway.

However, I do believe in recognizing aces in some manner. We keep a list of reported aces in the pro shop at each course, but I know most courses don't have pro shops. Another course near here keeps a special sign at the tee for players to sign which is exclusively for noting aces. Yet another course I know of has little plaques added to the tee sign for each reported ace. Both methods are much more pleasant and orderly to look at than a bunch of scribbling on a basket or tee sign. I can't count how many tee signs I've encountered that were obscured with scribbling of not only aces, but "eagles" and even "birdies"...to the point you couldn't make anything out of the map or distance on the sign.

It just looks ugly, and I don't care what tradition is. I'm sure it's gang tradition to put their "signs" all over walls and train cars, etc. Doesn't make it any more pleasant to look at. Maybe I should start a tradition of tagging every building I enter with "Josh was here" right on the front door. Everyone can do it. I'll start with the grocery store I plan to stop at on my way home from work, and maybe the bank too. Could be fun.
That's fine....i don't neccessarily disagree but there is a fine line. The only point i'm trying to make is that it does ,I think , turn into a snowball effect. One person sees that you got an ace and posted it on the basket then it turns into the benches...tables...garbage cans....etc. I understand the "tradition" but why give the green light to some d_bag to write their name on something, just because they saw someone else do it not fully understanding the relavence of it.

Garrett Graham said:
If your talking about hudson mills then that must mean i pay to play as well and if i were to get an ace there i would sign the tee sign just as i would anywhere else.

Dave said:
Ben Calhoun said:
they do it in TX where i played but not here in TN. It doesnt bother me. i am only at the basket for a brief moment retrieving a disc.
And what principle is that, exactly? The principle of justifying why disc golfers can vandalize public property? It was noted up-thread that non-golfers see the same thing on tagged baskets as we see elsewhere: graffiti. Doesn't matter what it denotes or who wrote it, it's defacing of property, plain and simple. To me, the act of tagging a basket or sign for any reason is self-centered and selfish. Unless you personally own it, you don't have the right to mark it up, IMO.

CBass said:
That's not a very good analogy. The principle is the point, not pointless tagging.

JC said:
I'm in the don't tag it camp. I personally don't give two craps who got an ace on this hole or that hole. And besides, if I wanted to know, I'd rather hear the story from you than read your name on some post. The story is always more interesting anyway.

However, I do believe in recognizing aces in some manner. We keep a list of reported aces in the pro shop at each course, but I know most courses don't have pro shops. Another course near here keeps a special sign at the tee for players to sign which is exclusively for noting aces. Yet another course I know of has little plaques added to the tee sign for each reported ace. Both methods are much more pleasant and orderly to look at than a bunch of scribbling on a basket or tee sign. I can't count how many tee signs I've encountered that were obscured with scribbling of not only aces, but "eagles" and even "birdies"...to the point you couldn't make anything out of the map or distance on the sign.

It just looks ugly, and I don't care what tradition is. I'm sure it's gang tradition to put their "signs" all over walls and train cars, etc. Doesn't make it any more pleasant to look at. Maybe I should start a tradition of tagging every building I enter with "Josh was here" right on the front door. Everyone can do it. I'll start with the grocery store I plan to stop at on my way home from work, and maybe the bank too. Could be fun.
It's done in Ohio as well, at least at all of the courses I've played. Didn't really bother me until I finally got an ace, AND DIDN'T HAVE A FLIPPIN' MARKER! At least I know I got the ace, so in hindsight it doesn't really matter. I like the idea of signing the disc, too bad the disc I used is now sacrificed to the wood Gods somewhere in Mt. Airy park
To date I have never tagged a basket or tee sign after an ace. To date I have never signed a disc after an ace. But that's just me. I am not a big fan of aces. Aces are generally a mistake that got lucky.

I am a big fan of park job deuces. I really love the darn-near-impossible leaner on the pole. I don't enter ace pools typically except in doubles tournaments ( I am much more likely to run an ace in doubles). But I understand and certainly have witnessed the thrill of aces by other players.

Of all graffiti, ace tagging is the least objectionable. In the mind of the tagger it is an expression of joy. Like handing out cigars upon the birth of a child. If aces in disc golf were as rare as aces in ball golf then it wouldn't be an issue at all. Most ball golfers get zero aces in their career. I have had 7 aces this year, including my first "black ace".

This isn't bragging since they all were mistakes that got lucky. Not one was intentional. If you play enough you will make lots of mistakes. I played an ace race at White's Acres in Milford, Michigan last month. I didn't touch metal on a single drive in the event. The day before the ace race I hit the black ace. The day after I hit a legitimate ace (well, I wasn't trying to throw the ace but at least I was driving to the correct basket). Both aces were at White's Acres.

So years ago I was playing in a random draw doubles league. My partner was a raw beginner whom I had never met before but since has become a good friend. I played terrible that day and was truly disgusted with my performance. My partner was terrible in a way that only true beginners can be. (( I really don't care if my partner plays well. I only care if I play well. I would rather play well and lose than poorly and win. For sure I would rather be good than lucky.))

Near the end of the round my partner threw an ace on a short hole. He was thrilled. It was his first ace. Heck it was the first decent shot he had all day, maybe the first decent shot of his life. I remember being surprised at his joy but it was infectious. He was happy like he just hit the lottery. If it had been me who threw the ace I would have remained disgusted with myself. He was like a puppy dog who was offered his favorite treat. His attitude was much better than mine. He definitely won the "whoever has the most fun, wins" game.
I look at it this way, is that basket or the sign yours? Probably not. So sign your disc and celebrate with your friends with a beer and don't be a immature jacka## and put graffiti on someone's property.
Jack Davis said:
I look at it this way, is that basket or the sign yours? Probably not. So sign your disc and celebrate with your friends with a beer and don't be a immature jacka## and put graffiti on someone's property.

who're you call an immature jacka&& ? ;)
I'm with you Jack, it's kinda like saying, "look daddy, lookit what I did"
fifteen yards for inexcessive celebration

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968