www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Looking to hear what people have to say on this topic I'm fairly new to this sport and haven't picked out a driver as a go to driver. I have several to choose from that i own. the ones i have narrowed it down to that i currently have are

Leopard
flash
tracker
eagle
beast
surge
xl
xs

How should i pick one?

What do you suggest to use as a first driver and why?

would like to learn controllable distance

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the Leopard for a first driver, especially for women. The XL is great. The Beast might be a bit stable....if it's always tanking left for you on a right-hand backhand throw try something slower like a Valkarie. A few other good ones are the Ace, Stingray, or the Avenger SS (super straight).

Whoever suggested taking all of your disc to an open field and throwing them to learn what each one does in your hand is totally right. If you want to improve quickly do this often. Also play catch with a friend using a soft putter. This will help with your accuracy.
Whats up Garret. Where your at in your game I'd try out an ESP Flash. The Z is ok but the ESP is a little less stable and has a ton of glide. I could see you chucking an ESP Flash quite a ways.

For me Im in the XL range as a goto driver as its easy for me to controll right now but still the ESP flash flys further then anything else in my bag right now. If nothing else we can meet up for a round and try mine out to see if you like it.
The XS or XL are great for 1st time drivers. Once you start flipping or turning them over consistantly, then it is time to move on to something more stable. However, make sure you are flipping the discs by releasing them flat. If you are releasing them anhyzer and flipping them, then that means your are simply making them turnover by means of the angle of your wrist.
I would say once you are feeling somewhat confident with your 1st driver, get yourself a midrange (Buzz definitely best out there) and practice your upshots. Start dialing your midrange shot in and become as confident at your upshot as you are with your putting!!
Don't throw a driver until you can throw a Buzzz nice and long and straight. Then step up to a driver.
Garret can already do that. Or at least every time Ive played with him hes been a killer with his mid's
well i was throwing a cyclone and a leopard a lot lately along with a flash i like all three and think i like the cyclone or the flash. flash for distance and cyclone is just a longer mid for me
There are really two types of beginner.

There is a person truly devoted to leaning how to throw discs and should be training to throw with a bit of anhyzer. They should start with anything from a Valk, Beast or beaten Eagle. They should also start pushing themselves to throw with even more overstable discs as soon as they get the hang of these.

Then there are the crazy casual players who don't want to necessarily learn how to throw and rarely focus on their release. These people need XDs, Stingrays, Cobras & maybe a beaten up Archangel.

Some folks can actually start on the casual discs and go to faster stuff within a month though.

Guess which one my better half is.
that is true also it depends on how athletic and how much you have throwen a frisbee becuase the first time i played i was only 5 or 6 strokes behind the person that i was playing with (been playing for a long time) but due to my prior expreicance with ultimament i learned to throw a side arm very quickly

but i still say a lepoard or a XL for drives and cobras sharks and brezze for mids and almost any putter that is light weight. are the best for beggining players
understable mid range until they start going right too much when thrown flat
I would lean toward the XL or the Surge. The Eagle is not a bad choice either. I prefer Discraft so the XL or the Surge.
I say you go into a field and throw those drivers and see which one performs for you?
I work PT, running a DG shop in W. Des Moines, IA. Hopefully I'm on target here.

For a beginner, if your nose angle & release aren't perfect, then pick something understable like a Discraft Avenger SS, or a Discraft Xpress. If you're a TOTAL n00b, I tend to outfit people w/ Innova Gazelles, Discraft Stratus or a Discraft D Buzz, because the feel of the wider rim will help their comfort level & not be as angle-dependent.

If they've been throwing a little while & getting some distance (150-200), then the Avenger SS, or Orion LS will be good drivers. The SS is understable, and the LS has GREAT glide... Next step up would be a Valkyrie, Eagle or Teebird.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968