www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What driver do you prefer for long (400'+) open holes? What type of shot? (sidearm, backhand, tomahawk, etc.....)

I am asking this because this is something i debate more on the long holes than the shorter holes, and I usually end up throwing a disc and wondering if I should have picked another. Please give me your input with the disc brand and type as well as the weight. This is for ideal conditions but feel free to put input for the various windy conditions as well. Thanks

I am asking this solely to compare my game to the options other players take. I throw a Champion Beast, Wraith, or a Valkyrie. I question myself after every shot for my own improvement. I dont want to know what I do, I see it every day I play. I am asking what do YOU do. Thanks.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it's rollable, I'll probably use a Champ Valk since I can't throw 400 feet in the air. If I can't roll then the driver doesn't matter as much since I'll be looking for where I want to place my drive for the best 50-80' upshot position. I can get 325-350 with several discs (Rogue, Wraith, Destroyer, Monarch, Surge, SOLF) so it depends on the wind and flight path to get to the landing area. All shots would be backhand.
Gotta be backhand, no question

And I'd say a destroyer, I can't throw it 400', but it's my farthest driver.
Some headwind....Destroyer. Tailwind....super light Champ Orc or Champ Roadrunner.
Roller....Champ Roadrunner. All backhand.
Go to an open field with your whole bag and practice!
for max distance on an open hole i use a 171 ESP Force, forehand. i just launch it and it annys most of the way then comes back to give me the most distance....that'll get me about 350-370, which is about max for me.
I'm going with Chuck on the Champ Valk. It's probably my most reliable driver I have. It'll go just about as far or match my Star Destroyer. The glide is incredible. I can average about 400-450 out of most of my drivers. But.. It all factors in Wind.. and how the hole is designed. I could either use my 169g Star Destroyer and it's predictable fade, ....Use my 175g Champ Beast for my long left to rights ... It all depends.
The Innova Boss in the wide open, sidearm big anhyzer... hope it flexes out in the end or a xcaliber. But i cant throw backhand lol
headwind 175g pro wraith, tailwind 170 pro wraith, no wind 175 champ boss. all backhand air drives. anyone of them usually go 325 to 375 feet, depending on the elevation change.
So ... you can see all the different discs suggested. Getting another disc isn't going to change a thing. The only way to stop the wondering is learning your discs.

Sounds like you just need to take your discs to a field and throw them more often. Don't practice on a course ... it's too easy to fall into the habit of going for the same shot over-and-over. Pick a disc you like (as you can see from reading ... everyone has their personal favorites), get 4-6 of them, go to a park or sports field and throw them until you learn the disc. This will build confidence in your throw and the disc. Also, do this in different conditions so you will LEARN what your disc is going to do in the wind, etc.

In totally ideal conditions, right now, I use a Pro Wraith for D, and I can get it over 400 on a slight downhill ... flat ground around 350 average. Will that work for you ... who knows? It might if you LEARN it.
In the past I've use a beat Pro Orc (longest driver for me ever), Star Beast, and others ... it's not the disc. Build confidence through practice. Know how YOUR discs fly ... That will stop the wondering.
When not playing in tournaments, try building your arm strength with multiple tee shots. Using a variety of discs and experimenting with different throws out of the box will make you a better all around player. Keep practicing. There is no such thing as the perfect throw. Experiment with your release. Adding a fade to a sidearm throw is easy once you become familiar with arm speed and release. The flight of the Tomahawk is my specialty. You should learn this throw, it will shave strokes off your game. Once dialed in, your upshots will be a force to wreckon with. Hope this helps. When I wanna go big, I rip out my 169 Star Destroyer. I experimented with several weights. I chose the disc that i could throw over 435 ft downhill, with little or no fade. I had to get it in hot pink, cause it leaves the box like a man possesed. I've never seen such an overstable disc fly so damn straight! I jus recently threw that very disc out of eyesight, It's been a week today since she's gone.
167 Pro Destroyer !!!!
I think John McMullen (above) has it right. Buy your drivers in bulk, find a BIG field and hammer away at all angles!!
I practice throw until I am pretty well muscle fatigued. That way I get a feel for how to throw a specific disc no matter what my energy level (I'm over 50).

As for me personally...

Backhand for the big D

JLS in Millenium plastic for big tail winds or drastically long downhill shots
The Monarch low-170's in neutral or a slight tail wind- is looking mighty sweet !
Star Destroyer 169 in light to moderate head wind (or dramatic uphill shots)
A weighty Champ Firebird... "the legend" in big head winds

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968