www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

ok well i was a little buzzed the other night and sent an email to a women that is an event cordinator at the Devos place in my home town Grand Rapids Michigan.the devos place is huge facility that is host to all kinds of events,boat shows,rv shows,car shows.anyway i sent her an email asking if they would be interested in hosting an indoor disc golf tournament.to my surprise she emailed me back and said they would be glad to hold the event.i havent replied to her yet but she was asking for more details,she wanted to know what time of year,what year and if the event would be hosted by the pdga?as of right now this is a dream that i hope could be a reality in feb/2010.im thinking disc golf tournament/expo with vendors and the whole nine yards.this would be the perfect way to showcase the sport.im inviting anyone with ideas or suggestions to contact me through this site.so what do you guys and girls think?would you put aside the time and effort to attend this event.peace.

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

effort and time? it'd be like an 90 minute drive. I've always wanted to play inside, but I'd rather smash up a Wal-Mart or something, imagine having to turbo-putt out of a circle of pantsuits over a rack of cheese doodles, glancing off cheap chinese alarm clocks and into a basket on the pharmacy counter.
well... I checked out DeVos Place's floor plan.. It could be really interesting with mando's but ... I'm not really sure that any place in that giant building would be usable besides the 360 ft exhibition rooms and the parking lots? I don't think they'd want you chuck'n plastic down there nice hallways. Is there any acreage outside? maybe have an indoor/outdoor event.. where you have to drive off the top of one of the parking decks to ground zero. It sounds like a interesting feat. definitely have to design the tournament for pin point accuracy since wind inside won't be a factor. You have your work cut out for you but I'd love to go if you pulled it off.. It sounds like a lot of fun.
im really going to try and make this happen.what could be used for indoor obstacles?do they make huge fake plastic trees?
YES!!!! Huge Fake plastic trees. Nah... I'd say possibly portable walls or giant inflatables!!!! . Sort of like the Red Bull Air Race but not as tall. If you hit them... it's a stroke penalty. Seriously though.. use the bottom parking decks for parking and have a couple holes out there in the upper decks as well. How much is it going to cost to get this huge exhibition hall?? It can't be cheap! Does this event coordinator know what a hard plastic disc will do a light if it's hit? you never know.
Giant inflatable santa, snowmen, etc!

How about the parking structure? Rough on discs but who'd care at that rate. Imagine teeing from bottom floor to top, having to throw up 8 layers as one hole, with risk of going off the side and having to start over, maybe trying to tomahawk up the staircase, etc. I'd play that.
im not sure of the price yet but with willing vendors and sponsors,cost of addmission,im sure it could be pulled off.it would either be a huge failure or colossal success.thats why im asking if people would attend such an event.it would all be riding on the turn out.and i believe if you build it they will come.
Yeah man.. I'm getting stoked just thinking about it. If you have a great plan on what to use .. and how the course is set up I'm sure getting sponsors for the event will be cake. Good luck with it all... I'd like to check in every now and then to see what things you have going. It's a great concept. If you weren't buzzed..would you've thought of it?? LOL.
-If you need any possible concept sketches for some of the holes or ideas that you have.. I'd be more than happy to help you out. It would help sell the idea to potential sponsors possibly.
thx mike.have a little over a year to make it happen.like your idea about inflatables.i see redbull reps all the time at my job.
you could elevate the baskets on tables to make the holes harder, or you could rope off an area by the basket that would be OB if you landed there then the player would have to throw from a drop zone, or make a second round be an indoor glow tournament
dude the possibilties are only limited by our imagination.just sent an email to discraft to see if their down.
I'm thinking

Ace Race indoors

or a midrange and putter only tourny
we will make a weekend of it

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968