www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

ok well i was a little buzzed the other night and sent an email to a women that is an event cordinator at the Devos place in my home town Grand Rapids Michigan.the devos place is huge facility that is host to all kinds of events,boat shows,rv shows,car shows.anyway i sent her an email asking if they would be interested in hosting an indoor disc golf tournament.to my surprise she emailed me back and said they would be glad to hold the event.i havent replied to her yet but she was asking for more details,she wanted to know what time of year,what year and if the event would be hosted by the pdga?as of right now this is a dream that i hope could be a reality in feb/2010.im thinking disc golf tournament/expo with vendors and the whole nine yards.this would be the perfect way to showcase the sport.im inviting anyone with ideas or suggestions to contact me through this site.so what do you guys and girls think?would you put aside the time and effort to attend this event.peace.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

like Eric, I've thought about this many times, I even think I have a location in Fort Worth, Tx.
there is a huge building just south of downtown, I think it might be the old postal building, it's been vacant for a few years, now it's open for paintball but would be great for indoor disc golf too
the building is like eight stories tall and about two bolcks long so multiple levels could come into play as well
great post Dog
we have indoor putting and driving at the store but not on this scale the idea is awsome...
A few times I had given thought to trying to rent a warehouse with say 20 or 30 guys from the club to do some driving indoors in the winter. We had brainstormed putting up netting and making faiways etc, like used in indoor driving ranges for ball golf. Well Maybe just one fairway would have been possible. We might still do it, given the economy you might be able to find a building on a month to month basis. Anyway I think with lots of help you could build a temporary indoor course with creative use of easily movable hazards like blow ups and netting. If the shot is tight enough doesn't really need to be that long at all.
Orville, that thang will never flyyyyyyyyy!
oops, my point is simply dare to dream
I wonder how many times those crazy kids jumping their bikes were told, "that'll never work"
it's just that it's an idea a few have thought about, personally not serious enough to do anything about but...
sooner or later our sport is going to attract the right sponsor, get the right exposure, and then this game might never be the same, oh sure, alot of us will still be casual golfers, but the game may get alot more mainstreem
I think disc golf is only one little push away from the bigtime but I could be wrong, one thing I think I am right about is that we have to start thinking a little bigger first and not limit our expectations
I have 3 mini baskets and play once in a while!!!!
hey now,pipe dreams do become reality.You might try a mini disc golf event,a smaller venue would get you started.Contact the mini disc golf federation for some insight.Good luck,hit chains.Peace
Well, mark does have a point, but he did leave out the local businesses. You could persuade them to believe that this tournament would be attracting alot of people. The business will pitch in some money and wah-lah, you're that much closer to breaking even. But, renting a large/big name facility will definitely screw you. If a well-taken-care-of place was found that was barely ever used, but not well known, that would be the place to go. A cheaper facility results in less overhead, and cheaper entry fee.
Paint ball tacos and snakes could be inflated to make obstacles
well im meeting with someone from the convention center probably this coming week to discuss this further.the person who runs the sports marketing dept.he said he has emailed a contact at the pdga to see if they want to get involved.im sticking with the orginal idea of indoor disc golf tournament/expo with food vendors and live music throughout the day.feburary 2010.peace
Sounds like a dang good time.
I hope you can pull it off.
Keep me posted!
That sounds great, like something that would have to be held every year. I wonder if there are already events like that. I think we would have heard of it if there was. I think there would be a HUGE turnout. Especially if such and advanced notice was given. The disc producers could use it for a disc-release event or something of the sort. It would be great for DG and DGers to get together and mingle. GREAT IDEA.. I'm down, I'd be there for sure, and I'd make sure 20 people I knew were going.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968