www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am curious to know if there are others out there that have a skip shot in their arsonal? I do because I feel that I can use it more accurately for shooting around objects, corners and the such. And what disc is your primary skipping disc. For example mine is the Star Teebird.

We can probably trade secrets to skipping.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, of course, If I'm low on energy and need to go forward and over an obstacle on a dry,dirt course, skips shots are great..

Destroyer, definitely made for a skip

One day, I was running out of power, very quickly. I had thrown close to 80 drives before this...

So I chucked this pro destroyer straight into the ground, about 20 feet in front of the tee pad

Skipped close to 50 feet in the air and close to 200 feet forward and put me about 30 feet above the pin, putting downwards for a birdie. Almost had it, but I lipped out..

Thats the second time I've hit the basket on that hold for a 30 foot birdie...:(
I haven't mastered it, but skipping is a wonderful skill to have. I usually use a more overstable disc.
Yes from time to time when conditions are rite and with a z reaper
Oh yeah... when the time is right I'll break out the skip. I usually will use my Star Destroyer 169g. Especially when that skip can get you 15-30 more feet.
Oh yeah!!!! I have 6 skip aces on one hole at our course. That's pretty much all I throw on that hole....skip shots.

Skipping favorites....Whippet, Wx Whippet, Champ Firebird. The Destroyer skips great too
i skip but never intentionally.if i shoot it short i hope for that skip.
I have a somewhat unconventional skip shot in the bag. I always use it on the 12th at Sherando in Stephens City, Virginia, but I break it out in a few other places. I throw a thumber with a Champion Beast into the ground about 75 feet in front of the teepad (on the 12th hole I throw it straight at the base of the "J"-shaped tree). It touches the ground on its lid and takes a huge, sweeping skip to the right. I can pull it off about 8 times out of ten, and when I do it's a guaranteed deuce.
i use a thumber skip shot on tight curvy wooded holes.

if you hold the disc like you are going to thumb it, then slightly tilt it(tilt slightly to the left if going right and vise versa) and throw it like a baseball.

the disc will go forward then flip upside down and skip off the topside and sharply turn and go 100+ feet.
Yes, depending on the terrain and time of year a skip shot can happen at almost any time. Flip it over and skid it under a tree or two, skip it off a sidewalk towards the pin, hard packed dirt areas, etc. It is something however that does not receive a lot of practice from me, it can be really useful when you need it though... Planning for and judging the skip distance correctly can be tricky, and not accounting for an upcoming skip can land you in serious trouble on certain holes.
hey now,check out Cubby's blog.His skip shot is one of many in his arsonal.No specific disc,just INNOVA.
i skip all the time. it works out especially when i'm trying to park an approach shot - making it more predictable. also like to skip thumbers sometimes. definitely a big part of my game. I love the drone, the avenger, and predator to skip, but i'll do it with other discs too sometimes.
Yes, yes. I throw skip tommys/thumbers with my ESP Pulse or Z Wildcat. Z Wildcat will stay close to or on the ground, stand up like a roller with backspin while turning hard to the right and really put the brakes on with a hard thumber skip. Back/sidearm skips with Z Avenger or ESP Force. One of my friends loves to use a Champion Firebird for skipping back/forehand shots, I have watched him Ace with that shot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968