www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am curious to know if there are others out there that have a skip shot in their arsonal? I do because I feel that I can use it more accurately for shooting around objects, corners and the such. And what disc is your primary skipping disc. For example mine is the Star Teebird.

We can probably trade secrets to skipping.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I'm Lucky enough !!!!
Try an Excalibur! The thing has a tremendous skip.
Back in the day the skip shot was not a highly used shot. The Whippet was my best skipper back then. But once the CE plastic came out and the wider rimmed discs like the Valk and the Firebird the skip shot has been in my arsenal ever since. Plus the skip can slow the disc down and pass the basket at chain level with a better chance of sticking.

And, I find throwing low and hard is sometimes easier to hit a gap. Sometimes I will bend my knees a little more to get lower to the ground on one of my skip shots.

Now, with this new plastic you almost have to account for the skip at the end. I see pro players picking a spot for there disc to land and then skip that extra bit to park the hole. Pro women during the Womens USGDC were very good at this.

Skipping is fun.
I have to admit, I learned both my sidearm and tomahawk skip shots by pure coincidence. But boy or they fun to throw. With these 2 shots, I am able to assault the basket from every angle. The skip shot does meet its maker when confronting thick or high grass. So nice when ya do it downhill on a mountain fairway!
I used a Firebird for quite some time but have replaced it with a Star Xcaliber for skip shots.

Here in the mtns of Colorado, high country, there are not a lot of places to use it. Sage get's in the way most of the time. But there are still a few holes where a skip is useful to have. My first Ace was a skip shot on a tunnel hole, basket finishing to the left. Backhand skips, forehand skips are very good to know, and being able to "control" disc skip is important.

Several years ago I played the Memorial in AZ. I hadn't worked on control skips before that, and a lot of players I ran into used the shot to their advantage. As you may or may not know ... Fountain and Vista Del Camino have fast grass and skips are huge. If you know how to use the skip, it'll get out around trouble ... and keep you out of trouble (OB)!

It's also important to know how all your discs "skip" and roll ... or if they don't. How you approach the basket with any disc, and knowing what the disc is going to do ... roll ... or skip ... will get you closer to the basket with more confidence.
I have a couple aces that were actually planned throwing a skip with my CE Firebird.
Almost always if I need a shot around a corner or with a very low ceiling, I'll throw the skip with the bird, very consistent once your learn how to throw it and really trust the skip shot.
I have also noticed the Destroyer and Xcalibur are good skippers.
I skipped a few discs in my day and I used a z express a bunch of times to get great predictable skips and about three aces in the process. Since that disc became too understable for me to throw Ive moved to a champion orc to skip. Pretty much with any high speed throw if you can get a disc to drop out and turn when its low enough to the ground without it digging in, you are pretty much guaranteed a skip. I like the skip because it is much more forgiving. It sometimes even hops up and rolls back towards the pin.
most of my skip shots are with a champion firebird (175) either forehand or backhand.....although for shorter distances have been skipping my Z (179gm) wasp a lot lately.
Best skipping disc out there? MAX!!! That thing would skip on the beach. I got an ace yesterday with a skip shot.

I find if you throw low and flat w/ a very overstable wide rimmed disc you get the most predictable skip. It is a great shot for hugging corners to get around sharp bends.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968