www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Another Random Hypothetical Question - What type of course do you prefer to play? Wooded, Open, Mixture, Hilly, Flat, Etc...

My home course is heavily wooded with some open holes which are like a whole other world from the wooded part. The woods are so dense that there is practically no wind inside even if there are 30 mph gusts on the open holes. I like the natural obstacles but I dont like the fact that I live near the coastal plains so the entire course is flat. There are no up hill or downhill shots. This is nice in a way but it takes another factor of challenge out of the game. The real challenge of this course is the fact that in the woods there is no room for error. If you throw off the fairway then you are in briers so thick and deep that you probably wont find your disc, especially in spring and summer. What kind of course do you prefer or typically play? I prefer wooded courses with long holes, and short holes with a lot of obstacles.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My best is played uphill for some reason. I enjoy that battle more. Trees are a must, just not all the time same as open play. Put a little water in the mix and you have a great coarse
I enjoy a good mix of open and wooded, not very fond of the water, but I do like the challange it presents. I do like some elevation change but it doesnt need to be crazy hills or anything like that. The longer holes is my preference, just not the MONSTER holes, Im sure I will once I develope more distance on my drives. :))
I don't care for uphill shots. I like wooded shots and open shots, but there are 3 holes on my home course that are way long (for me at this time). We have water on the right on half the holes, so this lefty shoots wide a lot of the time. One of my favorite holes is wooded, long, and over a wide, deep ditch.
I kind like a mixture of moderately wooded and long open holes with hilly terrain. I find water shots lets me have that danger nervousness factor in the game. I kinda enjoy the water hazards.. as long as I don't drop 3 of my best drivers in. It lets me get the best of all of the factors in one round. I would like to play on a ski resort like Telemark one of these days though.
I like wooded courses, if there is a true "fair" way to use, not just poke and hope, for those holes that are heavily wooded. I don't mind if, off the "fair" way, you can get into trouble pretty quickly with the schule, but I would hope that it wouldn't be so bad that losing a disc (or blood) would be a definite possibility.

Downhill holes are always fun to throw, or ones that you throw downhill on the tee, even if the basket is nearly even with the teebox (Mt Arlington at Veterans).

I don't mind water, either, if there is little chance that a disc could be lost in it. If a golf ball is lost in the water, it can be replaced; losing a disc is like losing a club, and I think that it is too high a penalty to incur.
I prefer well rounded courses. By that I mean courses with a mixture of open, wooded, uphill, downhill, left and right turning shots. One of my favorite courses of all time is Sugarbottom near Iowa City. It was the very first course I played. I didn't know as a beginner that this course was helping me learn to have a well rounded game. There were holes in the woods that forced me to learn a turnover shot and others where I learned to throw straight. I learned how discs fly uphill and downhill. Some of the more open holes provided a variety of routes to the pin, so I learned a bit about risk and reward.

Some other great courses that are "well rounded" include McNaughton in Peoria, Kaposia in S.St. Paul, Walnut Ridge in Des Moines and UAH - University of Alabama Huntsville course. All have a mixture of left and right routes, all have some elevation, all have wooded holes and all have some wide open crushers.
thats the key a bit of everything. if you play the same course you are just learning the course not shots. new holes offer new looks and you have to adjust your game to match. Some course are just so unforgivable that unless your name falls in the top 20 than your lunch will be handed to you. good to see sometimes but unless you are ready for this type of game you will walk away demoralized and this is not how I like to finish any round. If you aren't having fun it becomes a chore and we all know that you don't want your disc golf bag hanging next to the weedeater. Keep it at your level of play and enjoy whats around you.
I agree a well rounded coarse has to offer everything Disc Golfers use in their BAG. Booming open drives, tight Narrow Anhyzer shots a Mix of wood and grass and a little water for a challenge and the very defined obstacle. I feel restricted if my first shot does not give me a minimum of 100 foot open space for my initial drive. There is nothing worse than launching a Monster shot into a tree 50 feet in front of you with your NEW Driver. OUCH. One thing I DO like to see is the BASKET. I hate throwing blind to a SPOT on a map.

Discette said:
I prefer well rounded courses. By that I mean courses with a mixture of open, wooded, uphill, downhill, left and right turning shots. One of my favorite courses of all time is Sugarbottom near Iowa City. It was the very first course I played. I didn't know as a beginner that this course was helping me learn to have a well rounded game. There were holes in the woods that forced me to learn a turnover shot and others where I learned to throw straight. I learned how discs fly uphill and downhill. Some of the more open holes provided a variety of routes to the pin, so I learned a bit about risk and reward.

Some other great courses that are "well rounded" include McNaughton in Peoria, Kaposia in S.St. Paul, Walnut Ridge in Des Moines and UAH - University of Alabama Huntsville course. All have a mixture of left and right routes, all have some elevation, all have wooded holes and all have some wide open crushers.
i like parks that have a little bit of everything: uphill, downhill, wooded, over water, long shots, short technical shots, over trees, low ceilings, hidden baskets, ect. the more different kinds of shots you play, the better your throwing ability will be.
I enjoy short to medium wooded

Water sucks
we are lucky in s.e. michigan to have a variety of courses around. so it just depends on your mood.
open holes with long distance because i can throw it over 450feet

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968