www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Someone please help me with this issue. I carry a driver in one hand and a putter in the other. I want to learn how and when to use other discs just haven't gotten there yet. what are some of the basics for throwing and putting. Heavier discs for wind and lighter ones for stagnent air??Somebody help me with this problem. I see people on the course behind my house with bags of different discs. What are they for???Now don't you guys give me a hard time for not knowing this, I'll bet most of you had now idea when you got started either, so help me out here???I do have a pretty good forearm throw for my long drives, then I revert to a backhand throw for medium range, and then of course theres the putt movement...

Tags: driving, putting, throwing, wind

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try a google search for "Disc Golf Selection Guide" and you'll find several sites giving a bunch of handy info. Also go to youtube and search disc golf training or clinic and you'll find even more info.
Discraft has a series of videos explaining different shots and techniques.
Good Luck and God Bless, Greg
Well once you start to develop yourself as a disc golfer you will be faced with challenging situations. What I mean is, sometimes a driver is not the right choice. For example you have a short fairway, we will say 300 foot behind the pin is a river and not alot of brush or trees. You can throw your driver and if your lucky it will land up close... But most of the time it will take a wierd skip... and on that hole you are in the river.

Now that same 300' hole with a midrange disc, (examples: Spider, Buzz, ROC, ETC.) Those discs in the right hands are capable of 300 or more feet. The difference when the midrange hits most of the time it will stick, and not skip wildly into that river. Or you can use your midrange to lay up on shorter drives, or just run at the pin.

Hope that helps... if you have any more questions you can add me to your friends, and message me anytime.

Thanks
Hi Burton,

One thing to keep in mind is that you DON'T want to fill up a bag with discs too soon. Learn how the two discs you currently use fly in lots of different situations. Then add new discs one or two at a time and try them out in different ways (drives, approaches, forehand, backhand, hyzer, anhyzer, etc.). Greg's advice is good - there are a lot of on-line resources to show you how to throw certain shots. DGO also has a good idea - don't rely too much on drivers, as they're not always your best alternative. I see lots of beginning players struggle with max distance drivers, watching them die to the left in flight (rhbh), losing distance. Find a midrange disc and practice, practice, practice with it.

What disc should you choose? You can familiarize yourself with flight characteristics of different discs by using a flight guide poster. Innova has this helpful page: http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/index.html. It arranges discs by speed (force) needed to fly properly and then the discs stability. I throw mostly Innova, so I find this very helpful. Marshall Street has a chart that incorporates discs from nearly all (if not all) of the manufacturers: http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/disc_golf_flightguide.html. This guide is currently a little out-of-date (doesn't show the Destroyer), but it's helpful for comparing discs from different manufacturers.

The last thing I would say is that you should experiment with different weights. Many players throw only max-weight or near-max discs. If you don't have tremendous arm speed, this probably won't work well for you. Once I hit my forties I found my arm had slowed down a bit. A few years ago while recovering from surgery I experimented with 150-class discs and found that I could throw them farther and more like the descriptions or ratings that I saw on the flight guides. now most of my drivers are in the 150-160g range, midranges in the 160-170 range and putters in the low 170s. Works much better for me.

The main thing is - HAVE FUN!
Thanks I do live right next to a disc golf course, in fact it's right out my backyard. I can just hang out and talk and play with people that come along. I am looking forward to this seemingly addictive sport. Ah the flight of a "frizbee", who can write a song for us?
I have been playing for 30 years.One of the most impressive things that I have ever seen in the sport was a player who used to come out to the course with one disc, and beat the snot out of all of the "pros" carrying 10-15 discs in a big bag. I believe that having the correct disc for any given shot helps to make playing more fun. But, don't ever forget that a really good player could switch discs with an average player and still score better every time. It's ALWAYS the quality of the golfer, not the disc that wins the match. With that in mind, I will offer a piece of advice that helped me to make the change to modern golf discs a few years ago. I now buy all my drivers at the same weight. That allows me to judge the flight pattern of each new disc in a way that takes the weight out of the list of variables. Then I can adjust from that evaluation. I might like everything about a new disc, but I want it to be slightly less stable. In that situation, I'll get one that is a little bit lighter. Find out the weight of your favorite driver, and try some new ones out in the same weight. Most folks that you are going to run into out on the course will be more than happy to let you try one of their discs for a few throws durring a round, saving you time and money over buying and trying. Listen to everybody, then make your own decision based on what works for you. Don't be swayed by fashion or current trends. The Radius made by 1080 Golf Discs seems to me to be the best new disc since the Tee-bird. Will it work as well for you? I strongly suggest that you find out, but I wouldn't put any money on it. What are the chances that the same disc will work for two players with such varried experience? Good luck with your journey into the wonderful world of disc golfing.
This is great advice thanks for the websites I will visit. I don't want to have to spend to much money on discs then not use them, and of course I don't want to fill up my bag with junk. I have heard of a guy that would just use One disc and he could beat just about anybody he played. Showing it's not the disc it;s the golfer that is throwing it....Thanks agian
Thanks for the great advice, I like the guy that uses one disc and can beat anybody anytime. I would like to meet that guy...I am an older player with limited arm strength, I use a rowing machine to keep that arm strength up though and it helps...
I agree with all of the above. Learn to throw 1-2 discs at a time is WAY better than trying to learn 15-20, like most people. It's really easy to get more and more discs, it's really addictive. I know that if I could do it over, I would start with 1 or 2 midrange discs and a putter. You will be a much better player if you do. Also, practice throwing in a field, not just on the course. And if you want to go out and get a bunch of discs- buy 5 putters. All the same wt. and color (and mold). Practice putting will help your game more than anything else. Most important-- HAVE FUN!
Thanks for the good advice, the field throwing is good I will use it. and I am setting up an old basketball hoop for my putting. I need to measure how far off the ground is the typical putting basket...
You say, "I see people on the course behind my house with bags of different discs." Go and ask to join them. The best way to learn the basics is to play with others that know and understand the game. Already you have the advantage of having a course right behind your house. This is a sport that most want to share. If they have a bag, they are more than rec players, they might even be members of a local club. I'm sure they are also looking for others to play a round with. Good Luck, this is a great sport and I thank my friends all the time for inviting me to play the first time. Good Luck.
learn to throw straight and dont worry about distance...i used to try to crush every drive, but after years of doing so i finally figured out to concentrate on placing the disc where i want it...after all a 450 ft drive that goes 100 ft off target is useless... start with putters and mid ranges and move up to a nice medium stabillity driver, like a cheetah or an xl...i also highly advise ignoring most of the max distance drivers out there right now...i played with a newbie who had a star destroyer for his main driver and was frustrated cuz he couldnt control it...i let him throw my FLX XL and he was amazed at how easily he could control it...discraft.com has a page where you can look at the pros disc selection...its amazing how little variety there is...most of their bags consist of only three or four molds, just in different plastic and degrees of newness...so to sum up my meager advice:
1. Work on a smooth consistent release, with a full follow through
2. learn your discs and find out what works for you
3. have fun
I started playing about 1 year ago and the first discs i bought were a 175 DX Wraith a 180 DX Roc and a 173 Wizard. At first i hated the wraith cuz i just didnt know how to throw it but the roc was a consistent straight flyer for me. well as i said ive been playin for about a year now and have gone from the roc as my driver to my wraith and i get a consistent 400-410 foot release. basically man you should start out with a mid range and a putter and work your arm and snap up to the drivers. Another thing man its not about what you carry but whats right for you. i carry 11 discs in my bag 3 star wraiths 2 Rocs a Destroyer a SPIDER 2 wizards a blowfly II and a kc pro aviar. The Roc taught me to drive and the blowfly taught me to putt. i might not have a bunch of discs but what i have is the perfect set up for me. just find out whats right for you and dont listen to any hype.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968