www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been so frustrated lately with the discrimination I have to deal with just because I am a female! I've only played for 6 years, I usually play advanced, since that's where I should according to stats nationwide, and what was also determined at Worlds for two years in a row. I run across problems continuiously with finding enough women to practice with, let alone enough to form an appropriate division! Most of the doubles tournaments our only chance to really have an opportunity to play is in a mixed doubles division. I know, I know, lots of you guys just can't stand the thought of it, for some reason I just don't quite understand. This is really a selling piont if you think about it, lots of females get pulled into disc golf by their significant others, and if they get to play with them for their first tournament-it's kinda like baby-steps into the sport. It is a good bonding time for couples and opportunity for disc golf couples to meet other couples that share the same sport. It's kinda like the co-ed softball thing, it's a more friendly environment, the pressure isn't so intense. It has been my experience to see several females get started exactly this way, through the mixed doubles divisions. Then we have the tournaments all the time where there are not enough females to make a full division, that's always a bummer too, because then we usually become combined into the junior divisions and become babysitters more than golfers. I suppose that's probably something that will never change since usually they may be our own kids. I just don't think the juniors can benefit from women "the girls", as much as they would from the rec.or novice. I know that would never happen, but I can always dream!! Ha! Dream on, I know.. Then there's the days when I want to play in a local mini, in my town, there's really no point to play because I'm just giving my money away. There's no way I can physically compete in an entire round of golf with the guys, and make a profit, and they all know that. Yes I get lucky every now and then, but not for the whole round! So, again, how does this promote women golfers?? I would really like to know. I have the same problem with the promoting golfing to the juniors too. But, I've rambled too long already. It's just a bad deal for women. I have nobody in my home town to team up and play with, so our upcoming tournament I have to play "boy", I'm just looking at it as hopefully I will still have fun, even though it wont really be fair, I have to find some guy to take me as a handi-cap to his game and let me play with...just not very promotional in my book. Who knows, maybe I'll chill and drop this whole disc golf thing tomorrow, highly doubt it, but you never know...So, tell me what you think..kinda scared to hear about it, but here we go!!

Tags: Where'd, dubs, go??, mixed, the

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Shel I,m sorry to hear that you don't feel welcome or that you are donating your money.I too would take you as a partner any day of the week without hesitation. Sadly enough though not all golfers feel that way. I have had a few chances to draw a woman as a partner in random draw doubles and I have never felt like they were Handicapping me. As a matter of fact by chance this past summer I met a couple who were in town from San Diego and I drew the woman. Turn's out that she wasn't all that great of a player. However I had more fun playing with her than I have with any guy. She kept things fun and sure enough I was relaxed enough to get us second place.
See I live in Louisville Ky and there are only about 5 - 7 women playing here. Yesterday was the Greater Louisville Open, this is our second biggest tournament of the year and we only had 5 women playing 3 in one division and 2 in there own separate divisions. On a low note our 1 Pro Woman hasn't showed up for a tournament in some time now, for whatever reason. It just seems that there aren't enough Women who enjoy outdoor sports. Even in other sports here there aren't that many women playing. So honestly I don't know what would help the Woman's side of the sport.
I am sorry that you feel the way you do. I'm sure that if I felt this way I also wouldn't want to play. So if your ever in Louisville just remember that not all of the Men are crappy about drawing a woman. Some of us don't care who we draw as long as we all have fun!!!!!!
play more charity turnys it fells better to give money up to the cause hahahehe.really i think its more about location. the numbers are growing around here,weve got proble 10 girls that play regular here i know they only make up like .0003%of the discers in my area but there comeing out!!!!!!hell im 6'3 200lbs and can drive 300 constant but im still a handi -cap for most [players] but young or old i'd rather play with someone carrying a hand bag than someone with a sand bag[or 7} really thoughpush the whole walking in the park for a reson{disk retrevail}to some gyms and use putting excersizes to work on body mechainics and see where u get with it
and remember mongonated proverbs 1of... {if u cant sell the sport share the game}
stop trippn and keep flippn!
p.s. mongonated proverbs are the sole right of anyone that can make sence out of any thing i say hahahehe
You should come out to Humboldt County CA we have lots of local women golfers, we call them the Goddess and some of them kick my a$$ all day long. There are many local women that travel around and play lots of tournys out of the area. One of our local Goddess went all the way to the worlds this year, her trophy shelf looks better than her boyfriends.
We also have an all womens tourny that we have in September called the Goddess Games and we usualy have a great turnout.
This year at the All Hollows Heave tourny, on my first day my group had 2 Goddess in it, and they handed me my a$$ on a silver plater.
So never doubt in yourself just becuse your a women golfer. In fact get more of your friends into it, I know lots of guys that would love to meet some Goddess that we could help teach DG to.
It's great to see more women playing !!!!
Thanks for your encouragement! I apprec.

DC ( DISCFUNCTIONAL CHRIS ) said:
hey shel you know your just talking crazy when you say you your thinking of quitting, cause no one who plays disc golf as long as you have can quit ! i am pretty sure this is a scientific fact, because it is an addicttion, an addiction i think we are all glad to have, heres my story from two weeks ago, one of our local courses put on a bring your own partner tourney, last minute i decided i was going to play in it but didnt have a partner, i showed up hoping someone else would show up without a partner, the only other person that didnt have a partner was jessica, she came with her boyfriend who wanted his buddy for a partner ( i think i would dump his ass ! but anyway ) i honesty didnt care as i could tell from the way the davisions were getting divided up there was alot of sandbagging going on, so i was as they say " just happy to be there " my hope was just not to be last place, i soon reallized after we started playing that jessica had skills ! now this is something i hate to admitt but here we go.....there was times she was outdriving me ! it was the craziest thing, she had no runup she would just stand in place and snap monster drives, she said she didnt do runups cause she felt she had more accuracy with standing in place, i can only imagine how far she could drive with a runup, i think we used about 50 percent of her drives, her aproach and putting were not as strong, so i was able to contribute and keep my pride intact, and out of 8 in our division we took fourth, not bad, especially considering her boyfreind at the end of the round complained they had not put him in the division he had supposedly requested when they signed him up, and the guy running it dropped him back to our division and they took first, still a little torked about that, as how do you not reallize something like that till the end of the tourney, they should have told him to go pound sand !!! oh well, so hey my experience with being teamed up with a lady was a good one, and i would gladly take her as my partner again. besides, i just think disc golf chicks are hot ! lets face they can be a 5 on the hottnes chart, but if she plays disc golf that takes her to a solid 9 ! so dont give up shel, as this sport continues to grow, i am sure more wemon wil get involved in it, try to get your friends and coworkers into it, push pull or drag them to the course, thats how i got a couple people into it, good luck and keep playing :-)
I’ll agree that there is some discrimination in golf, but a lot of what you’re referring to is numbers based. If 80% of golfers are men, that’s where the money and effort is going to go. If you’d like it to change, it can start with you.

If you’re tired of being ‘moved down’ with the juniors, start talking with female non-players about golf. Have some friends out to the course for a picnic and fun round of golf. Set up a beginners round just for the women and pass out flyers at your league night. I guarantee you that those guys playing league have wives or girlfriends that might like to play if there was no pressure from their significant other. If you’re enthused about golf, show it! You’re the one that can spread the enthusiasm! And I believe that juniors can benefit from you. Part of the ‘disc golf’ deal is bringing in new players and helping or inspiring players in the lower divisions.

And I never have a problem being teamed up with a woman golfer. I find that the round is usually more relaxed, more fun and friendlier. And that always helps my game!

Good luck and have fun.
Shel said:

hey Shel you know your just talking crazy when you say you your thinking of quitting, cause no one who plays disc golf as long as you have can quit ! i am pretty sure this is a scientific fact, because it is an addiction, an addiction i think we are all glad to have, here's my story from two weeks ago, one of our local courses put on a bring your own partner tourney, last minute i decided i was going to play in it but didn't have a partner, i showed up hoping someone else would show up without a partner, the only other person that didn't have a partner was Jessica, she came with her boyfriend who wanted his buddy for a partner ( i think i would dump his ass ! but anyway ) i honesty didn't care as i could tell from the way the divisions were getting divided up there was a lot of sandbagging going on, so i was as they say " just happy to be there " my hope was just not to be last place, i soon realized after we started playing that Jessica had skills ! now this is something i hate to admit but here we go.....there was times she was out driving me ! it was the craziest thing, she had no run up she would just stand in place and snap monster drives, she said she didn't do run ups cause she felt she had more accuracy with standing in place, i can only imagine how far she could drive with a run up, i think we used about 50 percent of her drives, her approach and putting were not as strong, so i was able to contribute and keep my pride intact, and out of 8 in our division we took fourth, not bad, especially considering her boyfriend at the end of the round complained they had not put him in the division he had supposedly requested when they signed him up, and the guy running it dropped him back to our division and they took first, still a little torqued about that, as how do you not realize something like that till the end of the tourney, they should have told him to go pound sand !!! oh well, so hey my experience with being teamed up with a lady was a good one, and i would gladly take her as my partner again. besides, i just think disc golf chicks are hot ! lets face they can be a 5 on the hotness chart, but if she plays disc golf that takes her to a solid 9 ! so dont give up Shel, as this sport continues to grow, i am sure more women will get involved in it, try to get your friends and coworkers into it, push pull or drag them to the course, that's how i got a couple people into it, good luck and keep playing :-)

Chris >>>LOL we team him up with all girls that come to play at any tournaments or leagues. If Jessica Sorg had not come to the Monster Tournament we had in Canton, Ohio there would have been no one to pull Chris through the par 72 course. Good job Jess...
LOL thanks jay ( jay is the one who put the tourney on i was talking about ) by the way jay i never thanked you for teaming me up with jessica, especially since i had called you that morning and asked you if you could be my partner and you said that you were not going to play since you were running the tourney ( i think he was just waiting for a better player than me for a partner LOL ) but when i got there you were teamed up with someone, oh well if memory serves me you took what ? last place !! with your last minute male partner ahahahahaha, so thats right from now on if its a choice between you or a women, i will take the women !! LOL just kidding you know your my bro, the shank in my shot, the ill wind beneath my discs :-)

Jay and January@Just-Disc-Golf said:
Shel said:

hey Shel you know your just talking crazy when you say you your thinking of quitting, cause no one who plays disc golf as long as you have can quit ! i am pretty sure this is a scientific fact, because it is an addiction, an addiction i think we are all glad to have, here's my story from two weeks ago, one of our local courses put on a bring your own partner tourney, last minute i decided i was going to play in it but didn't have a partner, i showed up hoping someone else would show up without a partner, the only other person that didn't have a partner was Jessica, she came with her boyfriend who wanted his buddy for a partner ( i think i would dump his ass ! but anyway ) i honesty didn't care as i could tell from the way the divisions were getting divided up there was a lot of sandbagging going on, so i was as they say " just happy to be there " my hope was just not to be last place, i soon realized after we started playing that Jessica had skills ! now this is something i hate to admit but here we go.....there was times she was out driving me ! it was the craziest thing, she had no run up she would just stand in place and snap monster drives, she said she didn't do run ups cause she felt she had more accuracy with standing in place, i can only imagine how far she could drive with a run up, i think we used about 50 percent of her drives, her approach and putting were not as strong, so i was able to contribute and keep my pride intact, and out of 8 in our division we took fourth, not bad, especially considering her boyfriend at the end of the round complained they had not put him in the division he had supposedly requested when they signed him up, and the guy running it dropped him back to our division and they took first, still a little torqued about that, as how do you not realize something like that till the end of the tourney, they should have told him to go pound sand !!! oh well, so hey my experience with being teamed up with a lady was a good one, and i would gladly take her as my partner again. besides, i just think disc golf chicks are hot ! lets face they can be a 5 on the hotness chart, but if she plays disc golf that takes her to a solid 9 ! so dont give up Shel, as this sport continues to grow, i am sure more women will get involved in it, try to get your friends and coworkers into it, push pull or drag them to the course, that's how i got a couple people into it, good luck and keep playing :-)

Chris >>>LOL we team him up with all girls that come to play at any tournaments or leagues. If Jessica Sorg had not come to the Monster Tournament we had in Canton, Ohio there would have been no one to pull Chris through the par 72 course. Good job Jess...
Women are a tiny percentage of tournament players. This is true in areas where women are "discriminated against" and in areas where TDs and players strongly encourage women to play. I suspect that because American society has traditionally discouraged women from competitive attitudes it has resulted in few women in disc golf tournaments. I further suspect as those traditional attitudes are changing there will come a time when women will pour into the tournament scene. Not due to special inducements but due to the desire to compete and get better-just like we see from guys.

I have seen many women start playing tournaments then stop. My perception is a leading reason for those who withdraw is because of conflicts with other women, not conflicts with guys or tournament policies.

Guys do not expect their fellow competitors to be nice to them. If they do then fine, if not then fine, too. I'm not sure the same can be said of women but they can speak for themselves.
I would love to have a few more ladies involved in our club, and I try to recruit players of both sexes whenever I can ( women provide balance and generally some different perspectives, which are very useful when discussing issues the club may face). If we can boost female attendances at tournaments and in club memberships, the womens divisions can be just as exciting as the mens. I think your theory may have some merit Mark, one of our major tournaments had three women players, and an argument occurred between two of the players which put a dampener on the day for the ladies, and consequently, their partners playing in the Mens division (dont think it was any sort of gamesmanship or competitiveness that caused it though, it was a dispute over the rules i think from memory).
Bryce aka Hardcore Hyzer said:
Women disc golfers rock! If your trying to get more women to try disc golf in your area, try putting up flyers at local gyms, parks and community centers aimed specificly for the ladies, Ads in the liesure section of the paper are sometimes free.

Im not sure if your schedule allows it or your able to, but maybe offer a free DISCover disc golf lesson for women , and let them know you are wanting to form a Womens League.

Kijiji.com is a free online classified ad service, a few post for your area might help introduce our great sport to women.

I hope this may help you in getting more women out.

On a personal note: I play AM3 and our group is usually following the ladies division, all I have to say is WHAT A GREAT VIEW :))

Shoot it up!

Bryce
Hardcore Hyzers.com
I was playing in a PDGA tourney several years ago and was last in the Masters division after the first round. It did not help that I had never played the course nor did I know anyone at the tourney. Well to get to the point. I was odd man out and was put in the womens group for the 2nd round since they only had a 3some. Let me tell you, I had the greatest time for the rest of the tourney. At first I felt embarrased, (macho thing) But, The woman were great people and helped me have more fun than I think I ever had playing Disc Golf. Woman Disc Golfers ROCK. I wish there were more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968