www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey Now,

Hi there my name is Johnny M and I'm a GratefulDeadaholic. I just love this band, The People, The Sounds, The Smells ( sometimes Bad too), The Vibes.You get the picture.

My first Dead Experience was back on 07/04/86 at Rich Stadium in Buffalo, NY. The Grateful Dead were the opening band followed by Bob Dylan And then Tom Petty !!
Needless to say after that show I was hooked for life. The sweet guitar lick's from Jerry were just down right incredible and that Guy playin Bass...Phil Lesh...My god it sounded like thunder at times. !!!

Now 38 Grateful Dead Shows and 3 Jerry Garcia Shows later I still crave the live concert experience like a Grateful Dead Show. I have seen Phil Lesh & Friends recently and was just floored at his leadership skills and his vocals were remarkably strong and forcefull. We will survive !!!

Thank you for a real good time,
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Peace,
Gr8ful John

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

My first show was Autzen Stadium in Eugene too, on July 19th, 1987. Dylan and The Dead Tour! It had been raining buckets the two days before, but the day of that show the sun broke through and it was glorious. I ran around with a couple of buddies and had a great time. The whole experience was a little overwhelming and my memories from that first show are a little blurry but I remember being pretty excited to hear the Wheel, which was one of my favorite songs at the time, and I bought a shirt with wheel lyrics on it that I proudly wore for years after that. I don't think I had ever seen so many attractive hippie chicks in the same place, and I loved that too. After the show I was supposed to hop back in the car with my parents and brother for the 2 1/2 hour ride home, but I just couldn't face them. Instead I virtually ran past them and told them I was riding home with a buddy before they could get a word in. Whew. After that I was fortunate enough to see them another 45 or so times here and there, but Autzen shows were always special. The fact that it was one of the last places that let the folks camp on site lent to a very happy crowd in the lot and in the shows. Man, some of those shows were on hot days though, and Bill definitely wasn't the only one who passed out as a result. A buddy of mine had a very similar experience, probably that same day. I can't believe its been 13 years since the man moved on. He's still fresh in my memory... Check out http://www.archive.org/index.php if you haven't been there already. Lots of great live music including tons of Grateful Dead!
My first Dead show was Chinese New years, 1985 at the Henry J Kaiser in Oakland. it was a wonderful time. they had a parade from one end of the auditorium to the stage, and then circled the dance floor then exited back out of the auditorium. what a great show.

I managed to make it to 110 shows, before Jerry left us..... and I still miss him.

In the time that I was lucky enough to see them, I had some of the most memorable experiences of my life. some were natural, others induced. but still when it's all said and done it was/is a long strange trip. and I'm glad that I got on the bus.
New Years Eve 76-77 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Only knew them for Truckin and Casey Jones, and they did neither at the show I saw. What I witnessed was life altering. I knew none of the songs they did, but they were all fun. I was hooked. We got to the show late and sat in the next to last row up top. We happened to sit in front of Jerry's personal masseuse. He had his table stashed back there, too. Carlos Santana opened the show. Carlos seemed to play with the Dead a lot back then, which was completely cool, as he rocked each time I saw him. I am a freestyler and enjoy becoming one with the disc as Jerry and Bob work their magic. I have many memorable shows. . .the weekend at Ventura County Fairgrounds, Greek Theater in Berkeley, 5 New Years shows in a row (last New Years at Winterland!!!), Jerry's band and Bobby and the Midnites shows at the River Theater in Guerneville, Bobby at the Kabuki in SF, and the accoustic show where Phil's fingers got bloodied to name a few.
my first show was Irvine meadows in 86 and wow was I hooked. Saw the dead 50+ times and If Jerry was still with us it would be much more. I since have found some new loves to head out and see but Jerry was still the best!
Man, if you saw the Greek Theater shows in '85 I am waaaaaaay jealous. Those were some of the first tapes I ever got copies of and man, were they hot! Still some of my favorites ever, especially 6/15/85 set II. The site I mentioned has some of that stuff. Check it out. It gets me through the day at work a lot of days. A few others I have discovered there that I particularly like are Garaj Majal, Sound Tribe Sector 9, and Little Women (finally found some recordings!).

James B. Sutherland said:
New Years Eve 76-77 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Only knew them for Truckin and Casey Jones, and they did neither at the show I saw. What I witnessed was life altering. I knew none of the songs they did, but they were all fun. I was hooked. We got to the show late and sat in the next to last row up top. We happened to sit in front of Jerry's personal masseuse. He had his table stashed back there, too. Carlos Santana opened the show. Carlos seemed to play with the Dead a lot back then, which was completely cool, as he rocked each time I saw him. I am a freestyler and enjoy becoming one with the disc as Jerry and Bob work their magic. I have many memorable shows. . .the weekend at Ventura County Fairgrounds, Greek Theater in Berkeley, 5 New Years shows in a row (last New Years at Winterland!!!), Jerry's band and Bobby and the Midnites shows at the River Theater in Guerneville, Bobby at the Kabuki in SF, and the accoustic show where Phil's fingers got bloodied to name a few.
No was not at the Greek shows,(have listened to them):) Yea I stream shows from the archive sometimes however I have been listening to some other jam bands and have started to convert my listening hours to include some of this. As it is great to listen to old shows and think back I have just trying to move forward. I have been listening to Umphreys Mcgee, Moe., Mule, Perpetual groove, tea leaf green, and some others.
The Greek shows I went to were in the early 80's. My son was born in 85, and the wife put a kybosh on Dead Shows as money was tight. I think it was 82 or 83 at the Greek. Very hot shows. Sunday had Jerry singing an encore of Brokedown as the full moon rose over the stage while the sun was setting. The closing of Winterland was one of the hottest shows I experienced. The encore rocked as they threw the doors open for all to hear. . .about 3 in the morning. btw, Torrey, my brother hooked up with one of those attractive hippie chicks on the freeway onramp while hitchhiking back from one of those the Eugene show (might have been Venetta, though). Great memories, from what I remember.

Torrey said:
Man, if you saw the Greek Theater shows in '85 I am waaaaaaay jealous. Those were some of the first tapes I ever got copies of and man, were they hot! Still some of my favorites ever, especially 6/15/85 set II. The site I mentioned has some of that stuff. Check it out. It gets me through the day at work a lot of days. A few others I have discovered there that I particularly like are Garaj Majal, Sound Tribe Sector 9, and Little Women (finally found some recordings!).

James B. Sutherland said:
I think my best weekend had to be Eugene run in 87 or 88 wow it was fantastic the entire vibe of the place. I believe little feat opened and it was on from the start! The Or. experience was great However the last shows they played at the forum in Ca. were hot with guest appearances and all. Wow I don't know if I can call one run #1 they all had their own highlights and lows:) of course. I would still be seeing them if Jerry was still with us.
To tell you the truth the only exposure I had to the Dead was in the 80's was when that Touch of Grey video came out. Before then I always thought GD was a hardore metal band. I was naive about music. I grew up in a small town in mississippi. In 1990 I went of to the navy where I met a 'Head from NY. He exposed me to there music and the culture. that was during my school after Boot Camp. After that training I went off to Norfolk, VA where I met some deadheads that were going to school at ODU. I guess that's when I officially got on the bus. Finally the summer of '95 I said fuck it all and went on tour (not knowing this would be the last tour). I was ready to just stay on the road. But then the tragedy happened (R.I.P Jerry). So basically my first show was Memphis '94? Then I got a miracle at Chicago for the last show. those were the only 2 times I've seen the Dead. Well 3 if you count when they had Joan Osbourne. Numerous Ratdog, P&F, shows though.
Hi there my name is Johnny M and I'm a GratefulDeadaholic. I just love this band, The People, The Sounds, The Smells ( sometimes Bad too), The Vibes.You get the picture.

My first Dead Experience was back on 07/04/86 at Rich Stadium in Buffalo, NY. The Grateful Dead were the opening band followed by Bob Dylan And then Tom Petty !!
Needless to say after that show I was hooked for life. The sweet guitar lick's from Jerry were just down right incredible and that Guy playin Bass...Phil Lesh...My god it sounded like thunder at times. !!!

Now 38 Grateful Dead Shows and 3 Jerry Garcia Shows later I still crave the live concert experience like a Grateful Dead Show. I have seen Phil Lesh & Friends recently and was just floored at his leadership skills and his vocals were remarkably strong and forcefull. We will survive !!!

Thank you for a real good time,
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Peace,
Gr8ful John

You just hit a chord big time. I was at that show also but not my first. Seen Garcia approx 100 times and if he was still alive it would be another 100 times by now. One thing is for sure when I found the dead back in 79-80 I knew I was in the right world. Now I play discgolf. Anyway peace and happy Saturday.

Ron
I grew up in portland oregon with two hippy parents so the dead was always a standard. i saw my 1st show in Tampa 1995 and yes this was my last chance to see Jerry. 1st trip in ten years as well. wow, what a total mind blowing experience. sat next to a dude from V-Beach with the dankest nugs ever ! dont remember his name but thanks bra ! the trip ended up back at Nick-ra's pad in clearwater. ate ice cream and was reborn-gratefully dead... Murph
Yo. I love Jerry Gracia. What a guitarist. A saw him play with the GD over 250 times and JGB over 80 times. I will be in SF for NYE 2008/2009 too.

If it wasn't for stumbling into the dead scene I would have been murdered in the gangs for sure. Thank you Jerry!!!! Thank you Dead Heads!!!

Look at my video collection for grateful Dead here....http://db.etree.org/cricket420

Cricket

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968