www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Do you think playing in 30-50 mph wind makes you a better player??? Or is it a waste of time?

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't mind playing in the wind. In fact, it's rewarding when you get off a good drive into a headwind! It's always good to practice in all weather conditions!
Of course it makes you better player !! That is unless you can set up / plan tournaments around the weather. If you can do that then you could get a job at any weather station, because those bastards are never right. I would advise playing in the rain, snow, and sleet.... why not?? My buddy and I play in pretty much any weather unless it's hazardous to our health. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but it makes me a better player as far as I can tell.
Yes, If you dont know how to play in high winds you will lose tournaments. Play in high wind as often as you can dont avoid it you need to know how to throw well in bad conditions. I have played a couple tournaments in high winds and lost because I cant throw well in high winds. Play in high winds.
It is funny that I see this topic here. Playing in Hawaii, we see it all, all the time. I personally, have seen mainland players come to our tourneys, and say they are really good, only to be trampled on by the local players. Their biggest reason, the wind. Playing in Hawaii, the wind is never constant, nor is it always from the same direction.

You can literally be on the teepad getting ready to drive, mentally prepared to throw into the current wind situation, only to have the wind stop and change direction. The wind here is also never at a constant rate. It can be low blowing, then it can turn into almost gale force winds. (I should know, I went big with a Roadrunner from an elevated tee, and got a 700' OB Bomb)

I do think playing in the wind does make you a better player for those conditions, not for all the conditions.
it's a skill, just like juggling
If you want to take tournament play seriously you need to get used to playing in the wind. If you go into a tournament on a windy day I doubt you will see people pack it in and go home because it's too windy.

Might as well get used to all conditions so when they occur you can be ready.
My home course is almost always windy. I do better in the wind than most of the guys in my circle. You need to make good decisions and understand what the different directions of wind do to the disc. I CONSIDER WIND MY SPECIALTY. When everybody else is sweating it you can be cool as a cucumber.I disagree with those who say it can't make you a better player. With that understanding of wind you can apply that to no wind. Also, I think throwing into a big headwind helps you pull through an overstable disc. That is going to help you drive max D period.
The word you are looking for is: VARIABLE.

Shizzler said:
It is funny that I see this topic here. Playing in Hawaii, we see it all, all the time. I personally, have seen mainland players come to our tourneys, and say they are really good, only to be trampled on by the local players. Their biggest reason, the wind. Playing in Hawaii, the wind is never constant, nor is it always from the same direction.

You can literally be on the teepad getting ready to drive, mentally prepared to throw into the current wind situation, only to have the wind stop and change direction. The wind here is also never at a constant rate. It can be low blowing, then it can turn into almost gale force winds. (I should know, I went big with a Roadrunner from an elevated tee, and got a 700' OB Bomb)

I do think playing in the wind does make you a better player for those conditions, not for all the conditions.
In short, Hellz ya. Learn the wind. If your going to do tourney play you had best learn to putt and drive in it!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968