www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What is the largest U.S. city currently without a disc golf course in its city limits?

Got to thinking about that question on a plane ride home from a trip out to Palm Springs, CA this week. I was all-set to pack some discs in my suitcase and play a few rounds while I was out there this week...only to see on pdga.com that the nearest disc golf course wasn't even in Palm Springs...it was around 12 miles away in Palm Desert. I couldn't believe it...a city of over 43,000 in the State that gave birth to our wonderful sport, didn't have a single disc golf course within a 15-mile cab ride.

I'm sure there are MUCH, MUCH bigger cities out there without any disc golf courses, but in California?! Sheesh. Looks like somebody is going to have to write a few emails to mayors and city council members of that fine, fair city...saying "What gives?!" ;-)

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's easy....New York City....I think there is a course in brooklyn though, one of the buroughs...but I think that it is just an object course. Does that count?
Actually, I think I read an article last year that talked about a fully wheelchair-accessible course in NYC. I could be remembering that incorrectly though. (?)
actually my bro in law moved to brooklyn, and says its not really playable, too many people in the way not disc golfing, cant throw a decent drive without risking hitting someone, so nyc doesnt really have disc golf at all..
You mean there are no roof top courses????? LOL That would be cool.
I'd suggest Boston as a contender for this.... there are a number of (beautiful) courses around Massachusetts, but not a single one in the huge Boston metro area! I know that the Northeast is one big megalopolis where it's hard to define city limits, but the nearest courses are well out of the way. I know this all too well -- I might be moving to Boston soon, after living in the course-rich upper Midwest! Bummer for me...
I have everyone beat.. Honolulu, Hawaii, which carries no permanant golf course. Closest one to Hawaii is 2500 miles away...
Your right! I have only seen pics of oblect hole courses in Hawaii.
Incorrect, in part. Hawai'i has four disc golf courses, according to PDGA. Correct related to Honolulu....incorrect related to "2,500 miles away." ;-)
Actually Derek, I live here and I know for a fact that there are no permanant courses here. Those courses listed on the PDGA site are not permanant. I have played at all of them. They are bring and break courses, meaning, when there is an event, we bring all the stuff out, and at the end we break it down. There are no courses that are permanant in nature. So, I am correct in the closest permanant course is 2500 miles away.
I stand corrected. I might recommend then, however, that people remove those courses from the PDGA web site...or at least make crystal-clear that they are "seasonal" or temporary. Otherwise, people such as myself will show up ready to play, only to be met with a fairly big disappointment when they arrive.

I would think that Kauai (ALL the islands) would have some absolutely STUNNING undevelopable (real estate) land that could be made into some fantastic courses! Is the interest not there...or are some of the folks in the public sector not interested in the idea? Just curious...as I spent a lot of time over on the islands when I was a kid while my aunt and uncle pastored a church over there. STUNNING scenery and landscapes! Just curious. Thanks!
The fact that the land value is so high here, the state would rather make money from it by building on it. There have been a group of people that have been trying for 20+ years, only to have been shut down. And that is even if we buy, install and maintain the course, at no expense to the state. Still they say no. So shrugs at that.
Dang...sorry to hear that, Shizzler! I would have to believe though that there is plenty of land that isn't suitable for commercial/residential development. You'd think they would turn you folks loose on some of that land. That's what I did here with our local municipal course. We partially built on:

- an old landfill (though you'd NEVER know it, as it is very scenic and beautiful).
- in a flood plain (for about only three days last year after the spring thaw, our 4th basket was under about three feet of water...then was dry the rest of the year)
- along an old pond that used to be a gravel pit, and has since been stocked with fish

Undevelopable, in ALL respects! However, we turned that "wasted" land here in our town into another recreational opportunity for area residents...and have since had numerous communities around us asking how to do the exact same thing. If we would have asked for tillable or buildable land in our community, I'd still be driving 15-20 minutes to the nearest course. Now I get to ride my bike three blocks down to the first tee...and play a TON more disc golf! :)

I guess I would focus on targeting land that is not suitable for any kind of development. That land is often better-suited for disc golf anyway, with lots of terrain-changes, water and heavily wooded areas. I only got to be a "temporary" (long-term vacationing) resident of your fine State as a kid though...so I don't have the first clue how local government works out there. Good luck!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968