www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

how do i make my snap stronger and more effective?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really depends on how you are already holding the disc and throwing it but I will give this a shot.

- No matter what grip you use, make sure you are comfortable with it. If you have been trying 4 finger for awhile and it's still not comfortable, find something that is (although most people do find some type of 4 finger grip most effective)
- Make sure you have a good smooth form. Don't sprint to the end of teepad spinning like a dradle. Make your run up more of a focus on getting in position to throw not increasing speed so it goes 6 feet further.
- When you do throw, pull hard through your follow through. This will get the disc to rip out of your hands harder getting that snap you're looking for.
- Hold the hell out of the disc. Without a firm grip, you wont get much of any snap.
- Throw throw throw. Go to a field or something and just start chucking plastic. Not only is it fun as hell but if you throw one after another after another, you will get the idea of what works for you and what doesn't because you aren't walking and forgetting between every throw.
- I only recomend this once you really learn your throw but on a max distance drive, i curl up my wrist and seem to get a little more snap and flight. You just straighten your wrist out right as you let go.

Remeber, you don't have to throw as hard as you can to get a lot of snap. You just have to learn when to tighten your grip and when to start increasing your arm speed in your throw.

Hope it helps
Throw more. No, seriously. I had a girl that weighs 90 pounds teach me how to throw a disc. She said "Its all in the wrist". And thats all she really ever told me. I learned that the more I threw the more I got used to the feeling of my wrist versus how my disc flew. Keeping the edge of the disc, that is across from where your hold is, upwards, called "wing up", counters the air pocket that develops under the disc from the initial release. Holding a DISCRAFT FORCE wing up and throwing hard and smooth will lay it out flat as opposed to its natural OVERSTABLE flight path. "Wing down" will send it on a spike hyzer path and stay on the overstable path it naturally follows. A DISCRAFT XS takes less "wing up" to go on a flat flight path because its understable. Thus needing less snap to make it fly far and straight. Thats how I explain snap. Hope it helps :)
thanks man, i tried this out today and it helped out a lot! it took some adjusting and practice, but im able to send my discs out straighter and further than previous!

Sam Smigiel said:
It really depends on how you are already holding the disc and throwing it but I will give this a shot.

- No matter what grip you use, make sure you are comfortable with it. If you have been trying 4 finger for awhile and it's still not comfortable, find something that is (although most people do find some type of 4 finger grip most effective)
- Make sure you have a good smooth form. Don't sprint to the end of teepad spinning like a dradle. Make your run up more of a focus on getting in position to throw not increasing speed so it goes 6 feet further.
- When you do throw, pull hard through your follow through. This will get the disc to rip out of your hands harder getting that snap you're looking for.
- Hold the hell out of the disc. Without a firm grip, you wont get much of any snap.
- Throw throw throw. Go to a field or something and just start chucking plastic. Not only is it fun as hell but if you throw one after another after another, you will get the idea of what works for you and what doesn't because you aren't walking and forgetting between every throw.
- I only recomend this once you really learn your throw but on a max distance drive, i curl up my wrist and seem to get a little more snap and flight. You just straighten your wrist out right as you let go.

Remeber, you don't have to throw as hard as you can to get a lot of snap. You just have to learn when to tighten your grip and when to start increasing your arm speed in your throw.

Hope it helps
i agree with wade, and personal experience. you just need to go play, the more you play, the better you get, the more snap youll develop. try holding your disc tighter also.
The snap and grip is the part that i am having the most trouble with also. I just can't seem to get the grip part down. I read this yesterday went to the park and did what I read here and I ripped a pretty good throw so I think now I have to learn to repeat that throw with more consistency. . My biggest problem is that I am old school in that I am used to throwing a regular fresbie not these type discs. I can sail a regular fresbie but can't seem to bring that over to disc golf. So Thanks for the info and I plan to try to incorporate this into my learning process of this game.
grip the disc AS HARD AS YOU CAN! it was that simple for me to learn how to get a good snap.
try squeezing your thumb harder on the release..., and or snap it like you would a wet towel, and if you never worked in the kitchen before, try it first and get someone really good, that would be a good throw. But try the thumb thing first .
fortunately, i do work in a kitchen! lol!

JeremyRogers said:
try squeezing your thumb harder on the release..., and or snap it like you would a wet towel, and if you never worked in the kitchen before, try it first and get someone really good, that would be a good throw. But try the thumb thing first .
every time i go play now i first spend some time at the driving range. i strengthen my grip by using my thumb as suggested. i find that the grip increases closest to my thumb, ei, my pinky adds much less pressure and grip than the other fingers. index finger is always able to apply the most pressure. when im going for long distance, i find myself applying enough pressure with my thumb that the disk slightly flexes. the end result is that the snap is hard enough that even my over-stable discs try to turn over. do i need to add a touch of hyzer to combat this?
thanks for your help guys!
I went today and really concentrated on my grip. I was really throwing it farther today than i ever had in the past. When I had a drive that did not go as far I realized that I just did not have a firm grip. I am finnally getting the idea of the grip and I am getting a better feel for how to hold the grip.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968