www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Not sure if this belongs in the "road trip" category of the forum, but I thought I would let folks know that I just launched a custom Google Map of all Minnesota disc golf courses, and I would LOVE it if at least a few fellow discgolfersR.us members would "kick the tires" and let me know what you think. Feel free to use it to "road trip" up to our fine State too, and see what a little disc golf action is like in Minneapolis Saint Paul, the Mississippi River Valley, the Prairie (Southwestern portion of the State) or the North Shore (Lake Superior). Minnesota has some TREMENDOUS disc golf courses to play and enjoy...and we'd love it if more people from other regions of the country could spend a little more time here...enjoying what we've got to share. The Minnesota Majestic is coming up 5/30 to 6/1 too...which would be a GREAT excuse for more Pros to check out a few of the other courses in the area too.

Thanks!

Derek

Views: 674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Riz,

Again this is the type of info and functionality I am producing for the GPS file with pictures etc..and yes I would agree this is great info...Thank you again!!!
Scott,

I did also stumble into that Disc Golf Fusion site when I first starting thinking about a custom Google Maps app, and thought "maybe it's already been done?" However, their data had numerous problems (at least with the Minnesota courses)....and I'm not sure if you noticed, but at least in Minnesota, several of their course locations were "mapped to zip code." I just wasn't satisfied with data that was that incomplete when trying to create something that could get you to a course using custom driving directions. Right there, however, might be your reason why you stumbled across a few floating/underwater courses, LOL. :-)
Thanks Allen!

For that interface, I wanted to keep it very light and simple (and fast)...figuring that we can link-out to course maps, photos, tours, etc. which will load in a separate site/page. I am also going to be launching another companion "beta" of something later this summer too...which I don't think has ever been tried on a disc golf course before! Don't want to share specifics of that one yet, however, as it is a REALLY good idea that I want to flesh-out before others steal/copy it. ;-)
You just gave me the answer I needed to get the GPS stuff onto the comp. Time to check into prices and see what deals i can find to get the USB GPS Antenna :)

BTW This will help with finding the courses for myself as well...I carry my laptop everywhere and when asked I tell them it's my most awsome biggest badest MP3 player I could afford at the time :) The antenna could be mounted onto my van. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the idea.
I hear ya there. I think that there is a ton of outdated information on courses that don't have permanent tee's and have been changed since the last update to even PDGA.

One idea is maybe have the coordinates to the parking lot for the main set and a secondary set that takes you to the first tee. That way you can get to the lot and then at least have the general location you need to head to for the first tee.

I have tons of ideas just never enough time to implement all of them :)
Dizzy,

Let me know what your ideas are..I posted mine in the other 'courses' forum called Electronic disc directory for SAT nav users etc...so this is they type of feedback that I need in order to create the 'Frommers' guide' for the Disc golf traveler!

Scott
A quick update: for anyone interested, I launched "0.1.1" for that Google Map application tonight. I added in Zone designations (although that probably only matters to us "locals") and cleaned up a couple grammatic issues, but the BIG one people should notice right away is that I figured out how to replace the generic icons with custom icons of my own...which I thought would be simple push-pins with the number of holes on it. Those changes seem to help tonight as I am playing around with things. However, any other feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thoughts!

Again great job and way cool on the hole # icons...
1. Include City, State: One thing I noticed and you may or may not want to do this..I am noticing as the files are getting larger encompassing multiple states is you may want to put the City, State in the description just in case people are downloading them for their use on 'My Maps'.
2. I have also started including the directions from the PDGA site just in case the coordinates are off or in case of some other failure...So that may be something you put in here.
3. I also liked the idea of pictures of the courses, or the map or the signature holes of the courses like Rizbee suggested.
4. Some extras that you may want to consider is putting clubs and or retailers that are near the courses in the descriptions or map them…I know when I am traveling I am always looking for the local ‘tag’ matches and local disc wares emporium for local hotstamps etc…
Very cool…nice work!! I know I appreciate it tremendously!!
First of all I want to say great job, even though I don't live in MN. But second of all I found a great website that has a map for the entire USA and can be added to and changed by anyone, as well as details and reviews of the courses! http://www.dgcoursereview.com/ It has become one of my favorite Disc golf web sites.
Thanks Matthew! That custom Google Map of Minnesota courses has been viewed roughly 800 times now, and nearly all of the feedback to this point has been positive. I've also looked at that dgcoursereview.com web site too. Cool parts to it as well! Thanks for the link.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968