www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

what do u feel the best way to self dye your discs. And how do u get the logo or what u want on the disc PLEASE HELP!!

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've had success with fishing lure dye. You can get it at an outdoor sports store.
Here's my method.
If I want the stamp off I go with Acetone,use rubber gloves and have an extra rag or paper towel handy.As soon as most of the stamp comes off pick it up with your cloth,then take a clean cloth and do it again,the stamp material will try to re settle in ugly blotches.Don't rub too hard,be patient,even paper towel can scuff the surface of the disc.If you want to keep all or part of the stamp this dye mixture goes right through the stamp!
For a dye method I have stopped using acetone,you have to work too quick,and the mixture only stays the right thickness for a few seconds. I use Powered Rit and Dawn ultra dish soap,Add a few drops of water to get the thickness you want.If you mix several colors and save them,label each as the concentrated color is hard to tell.
This mixture is quite forgiving,mistakes can be wiped off quickly,leaving almost no trace. But it takes 4-5 hours for the color to set dark.During this time heat is a big help,I put them in a closed car exposed to the sun,up to 160 degrees won't warp the plastic.
For resist contact paper or sign vinyl will work.Also school glue or carpenters glue works well also,even candle wax applied melted will resist dye.
I apply with brushes,dibbles(sharpened wood skewers) Ink pen nibs(from the art store),hand made 1 bristle brushes,anything.Crinkled plastic or foil will apply dye in paterns as well,and all brush strokes will be visible.Also plastic bottles with metal pipet tips from the art store are great for making fine lines. Also you can just splatter the stuff and blow it around using a can of air from the office supply.
I find it better to buy the color of dye you want(Better colors available from rit dye on the internet,fast cheap shipping) than to mix your own colors. Dye works by blocking some of the colors of light coming from the disc surface,and if you mix colors subtractive mixing makes the tones dark and muddy.Fuschia dye is a chemical that only reflects Fuschia colored light and blocks everything else. Red and Blue don't make purple!!Purple makes purple!

Enjoy!!
Doug Olson/xangzuclaws
One additional note,this method takes patience,it will take 2-3 days,mixing ocassionally to mix the dye properly by this method,but it is the best way I have foung to get a dye mixture of the consistency I want. It comes out like printers ink.

xangzuclaws said:
Here's my method.
If I want the stamp off I go with Acetone,use rubber gloves and have an extra rag or paper towel handy.As soon as most of the stamp comes off pick it up with your cloth,then take a clean cloth and do it again,the stamp material will try to re settle in ugly blotches.Don't rub too hard,be patient,even paper towel can scuff the surface of the disc.If you want to keep all or part of the stamp this dye mixture goes right through the stamp!
For a dye method I have stopped using acetone,you have to work too quick,and the mixture only stays the right thickness for a few seconds. I use Powered Rit and Dawn ultra dish soap,Add a few drops of water to get the thickness you want.If you mix several colors and save them,label each as the concentrated color is hard to tell.
This mixture is quite forgiving,mistakes can be wiped off quickly,leaving almost no trace. But it takes 4-5 hours for the color to set dark.During this time heat is a big help,I put them in a closed car exposed to the sun,up to 160 degrees won't warp the plastic.
For resist contact paper or sign vinyl will work.Also school glue or carpenters glue works well also,even candle wax applied melted will resist dye.
I apply with brushes,dibbles(sharpened wood skewers) Ink pen nibs(from the art store),hand made 1 bristle brushes,anything.Crinkled plastic or foil will apply dye in paterns as well,and all brush strokes will be visible.Also plastic bottles with metal pipet tips from the art store are great for making fine lines. Also you can just splatter the stuff and blow it around using a can of air from the office supply.
I find it better to buy the color of dye you want(Better colors available from rit dye on the internet,fast cheap shipping) than to mix your own colors. Dye works by blocking some of the colors of light coming from the disc surface,and if you mix colors subtractive mixing makes the tones dark and muddy.Fuschia dye is a chemical that only reflects Fuschia colored light and blocks everything else. Red and Blue don't make purple!!Purple makes purple!

Enjoy!!
Doug Olson/xangzuclaws

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968