www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It is time for the Texas States Championships (a title held by the Houston Flying Disc Society and challenged by other venues in the state). A question that is frequently raised about this and other large events in Texas is "why do these major events have low Pro turnout relative to the Pro turnout in other states?"

K Mack commented on the PDGA MB that he felt the difference in course structure between other states and Texas is probably a major contribution. His comment is based on what he sees in Georgia vs. Oklahoma (where he used to reside). Essentially, the courses in Georgia are tighter with more pine trees. His argument is that this limits the Pros from just airing it out and gives "Pros" with less of an arm more of a chance. The game there comes more down to the short game.

In Texas, most of the top courses are big, open, and flat. A player with a big arm and good accuracy has "an advantage." Kevin argues that this keeps Ams from stepping up to the Pro rank in Texas.

I'd like to see how others feel about this issue and what their experience is in other states say NC, Michigan and California, and other Disc Golf hotbeds in the country.

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

depends on the course

bear creek in grapevine is short and tight.
Zboaz has a few big arm holes, but you need to keep accuracy good to compete.

im only familiar with north texas having used to live there... i did play one event 2 days 4 rounds north of san antonio but the first round was rained out... cant remember the tournament though, i do remember we got a DGA Squall in the players pack. that course was crazy, great mix of holes, went through school grounds, and down through the city course. even had a nice down hil roc shot that was a 30,000 ace shot.

maybe my texas peeps can remind me of the course
LLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVEEE OOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAKKKKKKK !!
and the tourney in question was the Texas 10 final event run by Chris Himing
yeah!!!!!

thanks dave

you still up in the carrollton/lewisville area?
I still run out there about once a month, but last July (07), my wife and I moved out to the sticks, in between Azle and Weatherford, so not too often
I did see Kevin and JD at the new course in Haltom City last weekend, and found one of Kevin's disc he left laying
I'm fixing to start running a Wednesday Night draw dubs at Weatherford in two weeks but it won't be anything like the mini I ran at Jimmy Porter or the Lake Park
i seee the last time i was at the lake park was for the 06 ice bowl haha.

JD, i need to get ahold of him. He taught me how to play haha. I want him to come up to kentucky for a tournament.

you wouldnt happen to have his number?
that was a crazy tourney right there, we signed up like seventy people that morning in an hour and a half, totaled out at 129, and the weather was cold and windy, I'm just glad the Old Man had his heater and my brother brought his canopy
I do have a number for JD, I haven't tried it in a while, not since I moved but I'll send you a message with it in a sec
Ams don't step up in Michigan because there is a base of 10-20 top level pros who live here, and travel across state to all small events, splitting the wins amongst themselves. Usually an Am who steps up would have to shoot 30-40 points above their rating to cash, and only a very few guys ever win, but they win many events. The incentive to step up before their game reaches 1000 rating level just is not there.
I can see how in Tx having a small arm but good accuracy doesn't help at many courses, so there's no reason to step up or to show up if you're gonna get beat by someone who throws farther but has no accuracy.
Interesting comments so far. They tend to indicate that the Texas player not stepping up, relative to other states, is perception, not reality. I've read numerous commentaries that seem convinced that the phenomenon occurs, that is, other states have more Pros than Texas does. There are so many other factors involved in Texas that it might be hard to judge.

On the other hand, the perception that Texas has significantly different courses than other states might not be correct.
I believe that it is perception. Texas is such a big state and has so many courses with new ones going in weekly. There is a diversity in our courses much like the diversity in the state and it's natural landscapes.

While we may not have a top five touring pro, we do have several pro players that are still getting better but can already hold there own, and some advanced players that will be showing up in the pro ranks in a couple more years.

In Texas, there is a tourney weekly within a couple hours drive so most don't have to tour to make the cash, however I predict that in a few more years when the purses start to get bigger, the current pros and the up-and-coming guys will start showing up.

Now, as far as the courses, almost all of the newer courses are more technical, with only a few air-it-out holes. We can also lay claim to the premier course designer in the country, so we're starting to see more and more par four and five holes.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, for it comes as an opinion of an Advanced Master Bagger.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968