www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello everyone, I'm a disc golfer in Temecula ca and am looking for other players intrested in setting up/installing a course in our area. Temporary, perminate, public or private, on existing golf courses or in the fields. Just want to play w/out having to drive 1hr or more.

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Keith
I live in Lake Elsinore, Ca. And I would be down for that, I travel alot and I'am only home for about 8 days a month and would love if I didn't have to drive an hour plus to go play a round.I moved to L.E. about two years ago and tried to get something setup in my area but most of the land has been bought by developers, we have a local lady who is part of the city counsel but she only want to put a pitch n putt 9 hole by the levey on the south side of the lake.What did you have in mind? I have a basket it my back yard I'd be willing to donate to the course if the setting is right, let me know what your plans are.
Jack
Hello Jack

My situation is that a friend and myself live in the Temecula/Murrieta often play at the short 9 in San Marcos Montiel park. We have gotten his brother in law into it as well and are making a weekend thing of it as often as possible. Also have 2 friends in San Diego, and we often play Morley. Total possible players in my group would be 8 most from SD and Oceanside.
I have been playing disc golf for about 2 monthes now and love it. Also I am using it as therapy for my "good" shoulder, I have had a surgury on both of them and also damage in my neck. The organic motion dosen't seem to be bothering my injuries much and the walking and core work out is what the doc's said I should find to do.
However I'm down with emailing, setting up meetings, and talking to city council members within a 20 mile radius to get a 9 hole or more installed. Willing to throw down some coin on it to put in tees or goals. Would love to see us get permission for a public park or even on a golf course locally i.e. somewhere between us.
Hear they are putting a new golf course across from Storm Stadium...would play nearly daily if it was there!!! As for now I'm tiring to get a portable as well as are some others in my group, so that we could set up at any open area and play.
Lets get our heads together and see what we can get to happen, and thanks for responding!

Kag
In reply to the above discussion, I have been playing disc golf for 2 and a half years and just moved to Sun City six weeks ago. I have competed in all of the socal disc golf tournments this year and know that Moreno Valley will be installing two courses this year. City has already aproved the money and three possible sites. As for the Murrieta area I know that last year the the disc golf club for the city of Murrieta proposed Glen Arbor Park as the most likely site to put a disc golf course in to the city community services comission. That was last March and they did have a little tournment last July to gain support with temp. baskets, but I guess that didn't work because I haven't heard anything since. I'm always up for playing. I play the Oceanside course (Emerald Isle) once a week. Friday the 4th I will be playing the alternate layout for Redlands which makes it 18 holes (very Challenging) and on Saturday Yucaipa is having their monthly. Signups are from 9-9:45. Start time is 10a.m. I will be playing at the Huntington Beach tournment on the 12th and 13th, but for the rest of the month I have no plans if you guys want to play some rounds. I also have plenty of plastic if you want to try any new discs. Palm Desert has their monthly usually on the third Saturday of the month and Redlands has a weekly every Wednesday at 4:30. I have a basket in my back yard if you were to ever set up a temp. course I would be able to bring it. If you have any questions just let me know. John
Have you played from the long tees at Montiel? That makes it a little more challenging. Has anyone researched Lake Skinner as a possible site for at least a temporary course? Seems to me that there was a lot of room on the southeast side.
I'd love to help out with any planning to put a course in your area. The San Marcos Montiel Park course was my baby, so I know the process for getting city/county government approval. I also have excellent references from the San Marcos Parks staff, from the Director on down, which is helpful when going to talk with the people who have the resources.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with starting with a 9-hole pitch-n-putt. That's where we're starting in San Marcos. Getting ANY course installed is the big step - then you start to build a player base that can bolster arguements for the next, bigger course.
Hi Allen
Sound like you could be of big help with this as I'm out of town a lot but if I can be of any help to whomever is going to drive this car please let me know,Lake Elsinore just put a new golf course on the south side of the lake other than that we really don't have any parks big enough to even hold a nine hole course.Murrieta or temecula would most likely be a better place to look for a sutitable site to put one in.By the way I get back from Europe this monday, my wife will be having her knee replacement surgery on the 11th in Anahiem, Maybe we could get a round in at La Mirada that weekend if it's not to much of a drive for you and AJ, Let me know.
Don't expect to see concrete B tees at Montiel - won't happen. In fact, I'm trying to discourage lesser-skilled players from using the long tees. I've witnessed many players who throw innaccurately from those tees going into backyards, the riparian habitat or crossing paths with players from other holes (nearly hitting them). The first of these risks having the course pulled, while the other two are just bad.

One of the best strategies for getting courses put in public parks is to find out where parks will be built in the future. Then you can get in on the planning before all of the land is parcelled out for other uses. Contact city Development or Planning departments or the Parks department and ask for info on their master parks plan, or where the locations for new housing developments are. New housing means there will be land set aside for parks. That's what Montiel was.
I'm not really a fan of Montiel Park. Played it twice and thought the long tees were pretty cool, but with Emerald Isle around the corner I rather play there. Its more challenging and the holes aren't so short. If anyone wants me to send them the new Redlands Map with 18 holes laid out on it I can. I have it on my computer. It's an aerial view with the holes put on. It's very challenging and has all kinds of shots.
I know a man, Wes, who installed his own 18 hole course on private land in Temecula. It is his own land, set up and maintained with his own hardwork.
My suggestion by this example is to find a person with private land that is willing to support yours and all disc golfers cause. even if it is a temp course that you could run a local event on, any support and or fundraising can be instrumental!
ET
I shot -7 from the short tees and -5 from the long tees the only time I played there
Had my First ever ace on Montiel yesterday from 6a with a champ beast 175.

My best score at Montiel is -3.
How far do you throw. I like the beast, but 175g is heavy unless your throwing 350 plus. Have you experimented with lighter discs. I used to throw that weight last year. Know I throw between 167-171 and with that I have been throwing over 350 feet. I always have 2 star beasts in my bag, weights are 169 and 170. Great for long distance S-shots. I will be playing REdlands tomorrow. The 18 hole pro tees in preparation for the tourney at Huntington Beach this weekend. If you want to play let me know. Send me a message or leave a reply.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968