www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm very new at disc golf, but the guy thats hosting the tournament wants me to register for the tournament. The thing is i'm not that good at it yet. T registered for the goddess tea, already, and paid the twenty dollars to enter. So what do you think i should do, i'm a bit nervouse. he says it's all about the fun. help me!

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I go into tourny's with 2 rules
1. have fun, nothing I do will solve the Mideast crisis nor cure cancer so I intend to enjoy myself and meet new people
2. see #1

you know what happens when you shoot a cr@ppy round? NOTHING!!
My 2nd ever tourny was BRUTAL, I finished 2 strokes ahead of a handicapped guy to avoid last place. I had to put the discs away for weeks, until I realized I am doing this for fun, if it's not fun, I do something else-- and you know what? Since then it has ALWAYS been fun.
I agree with Bill
Tourneys are a good place to meet soon to be long-time friends (yes, there is the occasional bad egg)
It is good place to see how other people throw and pick up different things that will help you improve
Enjoy watching the flight of the disc itself
Plenty of insects, vegitation, etc to look at

Don't be shy about it being your first time. If people know you are new, the majority will make sure to help you out. Showing and talking disc golf with people new to the sport helps rejuvinate my enthusiasm.

Remember: We were all beginners at one time
hi Jennifer,

I played in my first tourney about 3 weeks after I started playing. It was a bit intimidating, but we only had 2 Int women and 2 Adv women. I didn't play very well, obviously, but I met 3 wonderful ladies that encouraged me, taught me the tourney rules along the way, and one even gave me a disc after I lost my driver in the water! It was sobering for me that I had so far to go, but I also got a new sense of comraderie from them that was missing from the guys. Bill's advice is excellent, and I am a really competitive person, so I think I probably took that first experience a bit too seriously. That said, I went on to play 4 more tourneys that summer and haven't slowed down since! I should note that there were roughly 4-6 ladies at each of those tourneys that year (2006) and we now regularly have 2-3 cards of Int and 2-3 cards of Adv ladies out there crushing!
I'd say if you feel comfortable (hopefully you've been playing longer than 3 weeks!) and there will be a few other chicks out there, you should get a tourney experience under your belt! my .02 for you :)
Hey Jennifer, just have some fun with it. Twenty dollars is cheap considering how many hours you'll be playing, especially if you compare it to other sports. When you're new at disc golf, the only person you should be worried about competing against is yourself. Get excited when you throw a good disc, and think about what you could have done differently if you throw a dodgy one. Don't worry about your scores, learning the game involves a pretty steep learning curve, and you're at the start of your journey.

As everyone else has said, it's a good opportunity to meet some of the other guys and girls that play regularly in your area, make some friends and possibly get some advice on how to improve your game. All the disc golfers I've met so far are very enthusiastic about the sport, and are VERY willing to meet new playes and help them out (plus you might be able to pick up some cheap plastic!). Good Luck and I hope you have a great time, regardless of your score!
Jennifer: Just wondering if you entered the tournament and how it went if you did?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968